2024 Cottbus World Cup

Cottbus World Cup 2024, February 22-25 (Olympic Qualification)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

J175

Nominative registration:

I think as far as people looking for a spot in Paris are concerned the list is basically the same as Cairo.

Those not looking for Olympic qualification include MAG and WAG teams from China, Japan, the hosts Germany and another strong GB MAG line up. The US have registered Asher Hong, Colt Walker and Khoi Young - not sure if that is the final team or not. Several notable gymnasts from last year's Junior World Championships are listed for their senior international debut- Nakamura Haruka for Japan, Helen Kevric and Marlene Gotthardt for Germany, Abigail Martin for GB.

The entry list is slightly longer than Cairo. The qualification sessions are going to be seriously long - there are 80 gymnasts registered for some events.

Yeah, it is interesting how many athletes are registered that are not able to qualify this route.
I guess just wanting to get out there and get international experience before Paris.

Already a significant withdrawal from this (and Cairo) - Lisa Vaelen is out due to the same health issues (glandular fever) that forced her to miss Worlds. She would have been a favourite for a qualifying spot on vault. Her only chance now is the one spot at Euros.

This also means if there is still any possibility of Nina Derwael getting back in time for Euros, they can't both qualify.

Already a significant withdrawal from this (and Cairo) - Lisa Vaelen is out due to the same health issues (glandular fever) that forced her to miss Worlds. She would have been a favourite for a qualifying spot on vault. Her only chance now is the one spot at Euros.

This also means if there is still any possibility of Nina Derwael getting back in time for Euros, they can't both qualify.
That makes the path for Chuso a little bit easier.

The Belgian fed fired the national coaches a few months ago. The contract was supposed to end after Paris, but they terminated it early. I presume the fed decided they'd be better served starting to focus on next quad.

A few months ago, there seemed to still be a decent chance for Belgium to get 2-3 individuals to Paris. Even one qualifier now is now looking precarious.

The Belgian fed fired the national coaches a few months ago. The contract was supposed to end after Paris, but they terminated it early. I presume the fed decided they'd be better served starting to focus on next quad.

A few months ago, there seemed to still be a decent chance for Belgium to get 2-3 individuals to Paris. Even one qualifier now is now looking precarious.
I wouldn't say one is precarious. They're very well positioned for a beam spot and things would have to go pretty badly tits up now for it not to happen. It's Derwael's to lose, and if she does tank, Pinxten is right there.

Pinxten is also probably one of those in the mix for the continental AA spot if worlds last year is anything to go by, but there are several others.

I can't think of any new seniors this year whose federations are able to get the European spot, as Kevric can't win it for Germany. So unless I've missed anyone, it's possible that any eligible athlete who can get about 50 AA is in the mix. Looking at worlds prelims, I think Laura Casabuena was the highest scoring eligible European athlete, and she got 50.265. Pinxten and Jennifer Williams are next down with 49.832, and there were 7 eligible Europeans scoring in the 49.5-50 range. Three were Swedish, which raises the possibility that they wouldn't be sent anyway. I think in that instance it would just pass to the next athlete down in the standings?

So I'd say at this point Belgium will probably have representation in Paris, but the likeliest number of gymnasts is one.

eta- also on the continental AA route, three of the 8 gymnasts I mentioned (Westlund, Williams and Casabuena) are contending for the world cup bars spots too. They're in 2nd, 4th and 5th respectively, and An Chong Ok who's in 3rd will probably go for vault. Casabuena is also in 2nd on floor at the moment, albeit that one's wide open. That also potentially helps Belgium.

Last edited:
I think as far as people looking for a spot in Paris are concerned the list is basically the same as Cairo.
One interesting omission is Indian WAG. At the moment, Nayak is in 3rd on vault with 20 points and Karmakar 5th with 16. Them not being in Cottbus leaves the vault final more open, especially with Vaelen confirmed out too.

Rasmussen is in 9th on vault. 0.001 behind Abigail Martin. Imagine your Olympic spot turning on that. I don't know what happened there, but is this her possibly out of contention now? She only got 12 points last time and I assume will max out at 10 here. Or is the 2nd vault spot still open given that An Chang Ok is just winning everything by miles and neither of the Indian WAGs are here? Chusovitina is in 6th at the moment, but they're very bunched. Less than 0.2 between her and Grigorieva who's in 2nd.

Jennifer Williams missing the bars final could be significant later. She was 4th after Cairo, albeit with Swedish gymnasts there's always the question of whether the federation will send them.

This account has a few videos up

Last edited:
Rasmussen is in 9th on vault. 0.001 behind Abigail Martin. Imagine your Olympic spot turning on that. I don't know what happened there, but is this her possibly out of contention now?
The total lack of live streams and even quick hits in 20fucking24 is absolutely infuriating. And the live scoring is worthless! Why can we not see D and E scores? Why can we not see scores for both vaults? The lack of accessibility and transparency is insane.

and now live scores aren't working! Although that might just be my phone, who knows. But still. Beyond frustrating.

They're temperamental, I find if I refresh enough they come back eventually.

WAG vault results aren't listed on the official site yet but I think everyone has finished? So Rasmussen did indeed end up missing the final by 0.001, and Chusovitina is in. Everyone other than Escalera and Martin is eligible for individual qualification which I think means they all get at least 12 points. That means Chusovitina and Navas will definitely carry forward whatever points they get in the final.

1. Chang Ok AN14.066 PRK
prk.png
2. Valentina GEORGIEVA13.416 BUL
bul.png
3. Laia FONT13.366 ESP
esp.png
4. Alice VLKOVA13.350 CZE
cze.png
5. Natalia ESCALERA13.283 MEX
mex.png
6. Oksana CHUSOVITINA13.233 UZB
uzb.png
7. Karla NAVAS13.099 PAN
pan.png
8. Abigail MARTIN13.000 GBR
gbr.png

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but is there anywhere to view the points awarded in each World Cup series? All I can find is results which include athletes that can’t earn points.

Also, do they go by qualification results to award remaining points if too many in final can’t earn points?

Rasmussen was just screwed out of the final due to another rounding error. The FIG’s complete inability to understand basic 6th grade math is infuriating.

J175 helpfully posted the standings after Cairo, they're PDFs. Go to this post and you can download and see.

Last edited:

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back