2023 World Championship Event Finals Day 1: MAG FX, PH, SR & WAG VT/UB (Saturday 10/07)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Dolgopyat on youtube, for those of us who haven’t yet been given the privilege of watching it by the BBC

So the FIG have just awarded an Olympic spot by mistake?? How can that happen??

This is a weird situation because it involves two gymnasts from the same federation so I don’t know how much Szekely will protest, but if they were from different countries this would be really messy.
I don’t think it matters 1 bit that the gymnasts are from the same country; we’ve seen gymnasts impacted (sometimes, even scarred) by decisions - not accidents - made within their federation/country: Kim Kelly, Roza Galieva, Vanessa Atler, Courtney McCool, Natasha Kelley, Mattie Larson, Brenna Dowell, Danusha Francis…

Regardless of whether the 2 gymnasts involved are friends, the governing body of gymnastics - who developed these insane rules and have bent to the will of the IOC with regards to severely limiting the participation of WAG at the Olympics - just gave Szekely’s Olympic spot to Backsay by mistake. Unless they issue an official statement stating otherwise and Backsay decides to interpret as fact, which would be silly on her part. In no part of their rules does it say “if you compete in EF due to a clerical error, please ignore pages 1-99.” I’d assume this will end in a CAS case, but I’m surprised we haven’t gotten there yet with the Tokyo and Paris rules.

Craig says Fred still looks really fresh, and Fred face plants two seconds later.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back