2023 Asian Gymnastics Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Does Finnegan use the same bar setting for college and FIG?

Asian Championship last year was rumoured for being loose in judging. I don’t know how the Asian Championship this year compared to other continental competitions.

NCAA style floor and beam translate well in elite stage. A Yurchenko 1.5 is competitive even in elite. However, there is a huge bars gap between NCAA and elite. NCAA gymnasts can skip pirouette or release as usual, but the elite bars field has been progressing so much in difficulty.

Finnegan’s bars struggle offers a lot of context and insight to why Malabuyo didn’t feel like she could do elite bars yet as she’s had injuries and only managed to compete an NCAA bars set a couple times

NCAA fans complain sometimes when a former elite does the very minimum for an NCAA routine. But there are no plans to change the requirements so they’ll keep doing it.

I wonder if that gap contributed to Suni Lee dropping out of NCAA, among other things. She’s one of the top UB workers in the world. NCAA bars being so simplistic might have bored her whereas she can challenge herself more with elite UB.

Majority of the NCAA gymnasts will struggle a lot if release and pirouette on bars are required. Right now unless they can hit nearly perfect handstands like Jones, adding pirouette is just asking for more unnecessary deduction.

Top bars workers are not fairly rewarded under NCAA. A maloney to Pak, to high bar, then dismount is sufficient for NCAA. Elite is absolutely at the other end of spectrum, and bars rewards difficulty the most. Top bars workers can score high 14 to low 15, but many people struggle to hit a 12-13.

Last edited:
YES. Just like in the 2008 Code, where Liukin and Johnson were both so distanced from their peers because of superior VT (Johnson) and UB (Liukin) D-scores is happening again now with bars, and of course to a slightly lesser extent on vault. Floor and beam have never had this kind of distance-yourself-from-the-pack ability, aside from consistency of course.

The scoring disparity among different apparatus is always a problem.

On floor, there are always combination passes to narrow the gap from huge tumblers. Adding extra dance further narrows the gap.

On beam, higher difficulty comes along with extra risk. Part of the extra bonuses earned by cv are taken away by rhythm deduction.

On vault, as the start value decreases, the quality of the whole field also decreases. The gap between an Amanar and DTY / Y 1.5 is shrinking. Still the gap between strong vaulter and weak vaulter is wider than the floor / beam equivalent.

Bars has the widest gap among all apparatus but shits can happen (e.g. hitting low bar, -0.5 handstand, rhythm break). The downfall of Romania is partly due to bars.

Last edited:
Vault EF
20230617_095146

Carey’s average score was 14.516 in 2022 Worlds EF. She still has edge in difficulty. Of course they are different competitions, but I assume Worlds is stricter.

She had .2 higher with the Cheng. My point is her execution on the Cheng is worse than Yeo’s on her Chusovitina II. I’m not understanding what judges are missing on her block because it is evident to me in real time after watching her for two quads. She has a large leg separation, a very closed shoulder angle, and a large arm bend. Carey has great amplitude and an upright landing which is what is rewarded (or not penalized) most on this event. But the block, while effective, is not good in terms of form. Yeo’s is far tighter

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back