2023 Asian Gymnastics Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Aleah’s in her element. Lovely beam routine, and her second and final passes in FX are clean!

I don’t think PHI will surpass TPE with the performance of the fourth gymnast from the PHI. After 2nd rotation VIE is ahead but that will certainly change once PHI goes to VT and UB.

Last edited:
Philippines are about a point up on Taiwan after beam and floor. I would expect that to increase after vault. So it will come down to bars, where they are going three up three count and are without Malabuyo.

Ah! Good eye–thanks for that. I mixed up my calculations thinking they are down by 2 compared to TPE after BB and FX.

Big vault rotation for the Philippines. 13.8 for Finnegan, 13.766 for Kvamme. (Both 4.6 D)

They only need to average 11 on bars.

First score is 8.566. Followed by 11.266. Finnegan needs over 13

Edit (final scores)

10.833 for Finnegan. Philippines finish 5th, 2.3 points behind Taiwan and also behind Kazakhstan. All down to bars.

Finnegan and Kvamme will qualify as individuals. Malabuyo out.

Also not qualifying is Oksana Chusovitina, due to what looks like a fall on vault. She will qualify on some events through the World Cups.

Last edited:
Korea’s score is #5 among worlds qualifiers and 1 of 5 teams to break 160. Irfanalufti finished 6th and broke 51!

Worlds qualifiers:

Rifda Irfanaluthfi (INA) 51.298
Aleah Finnegan (PHI) 50.399
Dildora Aripova (UZB) 49.599
Milka Gehani (SRI) 49.532
Aida Bauyrzhanova (KAZ) 49.099
Nadine Nathan (SGP) 48.832
Kylie Kvamme (PHI) 48.765
Emma Yap (SGP) 47.499

Last edited:
Also not qualifying is Oksana Chusovitina, due to what looks like a fall on vault. She will qualify on some events through the World Cups.
She was only 0.8 away from the last spot, so she likely would’ve made it has she hit vault. She only qualified for vault at worlds, so to make Paris, she’ll have to either make finals there or qualify at asian games/world cups next year.

Kylee Kvamme looked good today, but I’m surprised she’s staying at Metropolitan when there’s such a strong elite program so close at Pacific Reign. Metropolitan is also close to Shilese at Ascend. Without the fall on bars, she would’ve been third of the individual qualifiers.

Last edited:
Shame for Emma to not qualify to Worlds, but hopefully she goes to Asian Games and has a lot of success. It’d also be great if she decides to try the World Cup circuit next year, but I don’t know if she’d be willing to miss that much NCAA.

Mongolia hosted the Druzhba meet in 1982 that was won by Armine Barutyan. They had one WAG in the top 10 who scored 37.75 and finished ahead of Simone Pauca. In the team event, they managed to beat North Korea and Poland.

Wasn’t bars one of the events LSU relied on Finnegan for?

Finnegan and Malabuyo going for NCAA style, lower difficulty routines worked in their favored for the most part.
Finnegan with a 8.433 E score on floor, best execution score on that event.

I know they are likely just going for 2024 and be done, but it would be cool to see Kvamee, Malabuyo, and Finnegan continue toward Los Angeles.
They are really just one more solid AAer away from being able to qualify to Worlds.
They beat Taiwan and Kazakhstan on every event but bars where they counted Finnegan’s 10.833 and a 8.566 for Lucia Gutierrez, losing to both teams on that event by 6 points. They were super close that a hit routine from Finnegan would have qualified them over both teams.

Hopefully event finals will go well and it is exposure for PHI gymnastics.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back