2023 Regionals (March 29-April 2)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

UCLA and Utah advance and Missouri and Washington are eliminated .
No clue on scores

It’ll be interesting to see if the scores Ohio State and Missouri put up today beat any of the qualifiers tomorrow.

They may very well, but given how odd judging has been, not sure you can take anything from that. Scoring was very loose at Oklahoma and LA regionals.

Reactions: One
Oh man, the semi between Utah, OU, UCLA and Kentucky is going to be a bloodbath. While the first three are the favourites, I wouldn’t count Kentucky out, and given their performance over the past month, I wouldn’t automatically count OU in, either. I might chew my hands off.

Thanks for posting that. It was an excellent vault, but I can’t help feeling that she got a bit of homecooking there, in that we’ve seen equally good Y1.5s go 9.95 or 9.975. On the other hand, I saw nothing wrong with it per se. I dunno. Vault scoring has been a bit weird at the top end.

I am just over the automatic 9.950s or high for Oklahoma because they stick their dismounts cold and other teams do not.
It’s like the entire routine means nothing as long as that is a dismount stick.

OU’s bars rotation was a prime example of judges not taking deductions and stuck landings getting high 9.9s. Bowers is a fantastic gymnast an generally has strong execution, amplitude, and technique. But she caught the bar too close on her release for that routine to be given a 9.975, which means she got at least 2 tens for it. Ragan Smith’s dismount alone is at least .2 and it is never taken. If she was on say West Virginia, Penn State, Nebraska, or Central Michigan, amongst others, her bars wouldn’t go above 9.800. She definitely gets the leotard bonus.

I think KJ is an amazing coach, maybe the greatest NCAA coach ever for what she managed to do with Iowa State and now the dynasty at Oklahoma. The team is great and performance wise has certainly been the best team in the country, but it is disheartening to see the huge scores for routines that have obvious errors.

Obviously Oklahoma is not the only culprit and impossible scores have been happening all over. However, this year they seem to be benefitting from it the most.

I’m frustrated with the stat pages this weekend. They are frequently not loading correctly.

How does Dagen get a 9.850 on beam when she is very short of 180 on the split half?

Damn this is close! LSU and Michigan are tied going into the last rotation, with Denver only .075 behind. OSU is .175 behind.

Denver has clinched a spot ahead of Michigan! It down to what LSU does, whether it’s LSU or Michigan.

Tied. I think LSU has the tiebreaker, but not sure.

Last edited:
Crazy that Michigan, Missouri, Alabama, Minnesota, and Auburn are out. 5/8th of the finalists last year gone

They were, I think. They definitely left a lot of points on the table and were shaky. I’m happy for LSU, but their UB scores were probably the craziest of the meet, where all the scoring was pretty crazy.

As a DU fan, tuning into the regional just in time for Hutchinson’s beam was amazing. I am absolutely elated! Of course they have that win at home right after I moved!

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back