2023 Asian Gymnastics Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

We will find out when they compete at worlds. Those issues are the main reason for the E score differences between Carey’s Cheng and Andrade’s Cheng, but I won’t go beyond and say Yeo will definitely score higher. In general, yurchenko vaults score better than other entries in WAG.

The flag on Yeo’s leotard will probably be .2 less.
Lying Cbs GIF by Paramount+

I really hope Yeo challenges for gold in Paris.

Hwang Seohyun is so freaking tiny I can’t get over it. She’s just barely taller than the beam. I love her aggressive leaps. Too bad she’s too young for Paris, but it gives her time to refine her gymnastics.

All vaults aside from Yurchenkos incur a deduction on post-flight simply because of body shape. It’s literally taught that heel drive generates the rotation in forward entry vaults, but to enter the flight phase with a slight pike to generate the heel drive forward momentum is a deduction that makes the vault not worth using for those who can do Yurchenkos, where the post-flight is straight bodied by default.

You are totally right. The Tsuk entry / handspring entry vault in general incurs more deductions than Yurchenko entry in WAG, though the equivalent Tsuk entry receives a higher difficulty value. For example, DTY (5D) often scores better than DTT (5.2D). The difficulty value of Cheng is even 0.2 higher than Rudi.

Last edited:
Kitazono’s dismount on PB was a disaster 😦 From 3rd in qualifying to potentially out of the upper half.

Yulo’s handstand on one rail and EXTREMELY clean dismount!!! Ugh!

15.266 - he just clinched his THIRD gold (freaking insane, 3/5!) at the moment. Surely Carlos lost that AA gold because of PH.

Last edited:
Good to see Malabuyo get into beam finals after being reserve.

Finnegan and Malabuyo helping Philippines to two bronze and one silver in event finals is surely going to give exposure to the gymnastics program. Hopefully they are receiving media attention for it.

It really does on Taiwan’s team because (a) they relied so much on 3-up, 3-count, and (b) that member was a fantastic AAer.

Last edited:
It really does on Taiwan’s team because (a) they relied so much on 3-up, 3-count, and (b) that member was a fantastic AAer.
No gymnast makes up 8 points for a team total. Not even Simone did that.

Also saw the team results and Taiwan counted several falls.

The rules do allow a snap into layout elements (even on uneven bars dismounts). They deduct “excessive snap”. The deduction is 0.1 for a snap where the makes an angle of 90° (or more open) and 0.3 for less than 90°. Of course, there’s no clarification on the angle that’s still acceptable… So one could argue about miscalibration of what’s “excessive” as well as misuse of that deduction.

It’s certainly in media outlets posted on social media. Likes and comments are there too.

Should Finnegan or Kvamme make Paris via Worlds it would be the 1st time since 1964 for a woman from the Philippines to compete at the Olympics, which happens to be 60 years.
Wow

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back