2023 Asian Gymnastics Championships

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Team China and Shinnosuke Oka are the current leaders. Less than a tenth between 1st/2nd in team.

Uzbekistan will likely qualify a team to worlds with Kazakhstan the only remaining team with potential to beat them. They scored 6 points higher than Taiwan. Looks like Chih-Kai Lee had a rough pommel set, 6.6 E.

AA qualifiers with 1 sub left (assuming Kazakhstan knocks out Taiwan)

Carlos Yulo(PHI) 85.931
Cheng Yeh (TPE) 78.297
Chih-Kai Lee (TPE) 78.265
Guan-Yi Lin (TPE) 77.764
Usukhbayer Erkhembayer (MGL) 76.331
Yogeshwar Singh (IND) 76.299

Vietnam had 2 gymnasts break 78 at SEA games, and Malaysia had one who was just shy of Singh’s score. Iran had a gymnast qualify last year with a 78, but the start list for sub 3 doesn’t have any Iranian gymnasts listed.

Last edited:
Worlds qualifiers:
Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan

Carlos Yulo (PHI)
Vi Luong Van (VIE)
Cheng Yeh (TPE)
Chih-Kai Lee (TPE)
Luqman al Hafiz Zulfa (MAS)
Usukhbayar Erkhembayar (MGL)

When you remove the final worlds qualifiers from the apparatus world cup standings, there’s only one athlete left on PB. Are those 7 unfilled spots going to be reallocated?

Last edited:
What happened to Taiwan? 6th in the World in 2019 and qualifying to Tokyo and now not even qualifying to Worlds as a full team.

One member of the core team injured during training this year / last year.

One member of the core team injured during training this year / last year.
Still one member of the team doesn’t have that much of an impact on team results.
I haven’t seen the results yet, but that team total seems likely that Taiwan had to count several falls.

Does anybody know anything at all about the Mongolian team? We used to live there and the fact they could field a full men’s team that handily beat Singapore and almost caught a team from india* is… A surprise to me.

Last edited:
I don’t know anything about them, but their team score was a remarkable 22 points up from last year. Plus the start list says they have a full women’s team tomorrow as well. No idea how they will do but it’s a big improvement from only having two gymnasts competing when they hosted the competition in 2019. Maybe whoever decided to pay to host has given the federation more funding as well.

Last edited:
Does anybody know anything at all about the Mongolian team?
Their best event is floor and they have a solid all arounder in Usukhbayar Erkhembayar. Other than that I don’t have a lot of details myself.

Definitely remarkable progress for a program that didn’t really exist 10 years ago.

I wonder if the continental qualification system has something to do with the emergence of these countries and fielding full teams.

We have seen various “tier 3/tier 4” programs have the ability to field a full team but had never gone to Worlds, but are going to the continental meets.

I think it helped that the 2019 Asian championships was held at Ulaanbaatar, not that it would have a direct impact but surely it would’ve been an indication about their commitment to a programme. Just a hunch.

Screenshot 2023-06-16 at 10.34.52 AM

PH remains Carlos’ waterloo. He qualified for the finals of all events other than this.

Special mention to Tian Hao’s and Su Weide’s high bar routines. I am just a casual fan and not so knowledgeable about the technicals but it was mesmerizing to watch.

Thanks guys. It is amazing. We were there about a decade ago for a while, and as far as I knew there was nothing at the time. I still can’t even find any evidence of a gymnastics gym in Ulaanbaatar from Google searching. Contortion has always been a thing there but I can’t believe they were able to field a team of five guys and a full women’s team as well. I wonder if they train outside of the country? China or South Korea potentially? It was all wrestling, horses, basketball, weightlifting, and archery.

Current standings. Last (4th) subdivision will comprise of UZB, MGL, VIE and PHI

CHN - 163.529
KOR - 160.095
TPE - 147.397
KAZ - 145.230
SGP - 144.030
INA - 139.897
IND - 125.495

Last edited:
There might be some gymnastics infrastructure left over from the communist days. Mongolia fielded both WAG and MAG at several Olympic Games (1960, 1964, 1980). The training facility might be housed in a larger multisport complex.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back