2022 Paris World Challenge Cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

what’s the status on zoe Miller? She would fit the bill

The men did well also Don Don got a bronze on rings and parallel bars and Malone silver on p-bars and high bar. I had Malone over Souza on p-bars personally, but it was super close.

I went back and watched nationals floor again. I would argue that Jordan’s day 2 floor was probably a few tenths better executed on Day 2 nationals than her qualifying performance here (landings, wolf turn, leaps more rotated). They should probably not have given the Gogean in any of the iterations of it but it was closer at nationals. And Jordan’s bars were sloppier in quals here-- lots of missed handstands. It’s not like the routines were identical.
Again, while I won’t argue that there is overscoring at nationals, I don’t think that Chiles alone sees eggregious overscoring while everyone else is fine.
Edit- catching up on routines and just getting to today’s floor finals

Last edited:
If Leanne is too injured then she might have a shot. I wonder how DiCello is feeling right now.

Oh no! I was thinking it might be between DiCello and Wong, and now they might both be injured?

Oh no! I was thinking it might be between DiCello and Wong, and now they might both be injured?
If they’re both out, then presumably Skye? Or whoever impresses most in Hungary? They need to pick an alternate too, so this Hungary meet might actually mean something.

Just saw an interview with MDJDS where she reacted to Cecile Landi saying she has no self-confidence and that’s what they’ll be working on. Did we know that MDJDS moved to Houston to train at WCC with the Landis? Or was I the only one who missed this news?

You’re the only one. 😉 i think it was pretty soon after the Olympics she moved. Im hoping her presence draws some other athlete out of not-retirement…

If anything I think it would have the opposite effect. Simone would like the Landis to have an athlete in Paris. If Melanie is healthy, then they have one

We’re nearing the end of 2022. The window is closing for Simone to start seriously training again. Before Tokyo, I would have said she’s one who could sit out for a year, come back, and have all her skills back in no time. But with her showing she still had some issues with skills after Tokyo, I’m not so sure at this point. I wouldn’t hold my breath and I’m sure ASac and Chellsie are preparing to develop a Simone-less Olympic team.

Shilese Jones - Uneven Bars, Finals

1 x F (Downie)
1 x E (van Leeuwen)
6 x D (stalder full, Shaposhnikova from stalder entry, Tkatchev, toe-on full, Pak salto, double front dismount)

Total DV - 3.5

CV

stalder full + Shaposhnikova from stalder entry + Tkatchev (D + D, both with turn or flight) - 0.1 and (D flight from low bar to high bar + C or more with turn or flight on high bar) - 0.2

toe-on full + Downie + Pak salto - (D + D, both with turn or flight) - 0.1 and (D + F, both flight elements) - 0.2

Total CV - 0.6

Dismount Bonus

double front (D) - 0.2

CR

Flight from high bar to low bar - Pak salto
Flight element on same bar - Tkatchev
Different Grips - stalder full, front giant
Non-flight with 360 degree turn - toe-on full

Total D - 3.5 + 0.6 + 0.2 + 2.0 = 6.3

Elements or Connections not Credited

None

Credited D - 3.5 + 0.6 + 0.2 + 2.0 = 6.3

Deductions

glide kip
(insufficient extension in kips and casts) 0.1 ^

stalder full
(angle of completion → between 11 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1

Shaposhnikova from stalder entry
(bent arms upon regrasp) 0.1
(leg separation) 0.1

Tkatchev
(flexed/relaxed feet) 0.1
(insufficient height / hips at bar height upon regrasp) 0.1

toe-on full

Downie
(flexed feet) 0.1

van Leeuwen
(bent arms upon regrasp) 0.1

toe-on 1/2

front giant
(body alignment → assessed for arch and shoulder angle) 0.1
(leg separation) 0.1 ^^

double front
(flexed feet) 0.1
(leg separation → greater than shoulder width) 0.3
(hop on landing) 0.1

Total Deductions - (1.5 - 1.7), 8.3 - 8.5 / Actual 8.400

Rebecca Andrade - Uneven Bars, Finals

2 x E (piked Tkatchev, van Leeuwen)
6 x D (Maloney, stalder full, Pak salto, piked Jaeger, toe-on full, full twisting double tuck dismount)

Total DV - 3.4

CV

Maloney + stalder full + piked Tkatchev + Pak salto (D flight from low bar to high bar + C or more with turn or flight on high bar) - 0.2, and (D +D, both with turn or flight x 2) - 0.2

toe-on full + full twisting double tuck dismount - (D + D, both with turn or flight) - 0.1

Total CV - 0.5

Dismount Bonus

full twisting double tuck (D) - 0.2

CR

Flight from high bar to low bar - Pak salto
Flight element on same bar - piked Tkatchev
Different Grips - stalder full, piked Jaeger

Total D - 3.4 + 0.5 + 0.2 + 2.0 = 6.1

None

Credited D - 3.4 + 0.5 + 0.2 + 2.0 = 6.1 (6.2 with the Pak salto + van Leeuwen connection, and 6.4 with the toe-on full + Fabrichnova connection)

Deductions

cast to handstand with legs straddled
(body alignment → piked hips) 0.1

stalder full
(poor rhythm) 0.1
(angle of completion → past 45 degrees of handstand) 0.5

piked Tkatchev
(flexed/relaxed feet) 0.1

cast to handstand with legs straddled (following Pak salto)

cast to handstand with legs straddled (following van Leeuwen)

piked Jaeger
(flexed feet) 0.1

cast to handstand with legs straddled 1/2 (following van Leeuwen)

toe-on full

full twisting double tuck
(flexed feet) 0.1
(landing posture / chest low and forward) 0.1
(balance adjustment / arm swing) 0.1

Total Deductions - (1.6), 8.4 / Actual 8.550

Lisa Vaelen - Uneven Bars, Finals

1 x F (Derwael / Fenton)
1 x E (van Leeuwen)
5 x D (Ezhova, Maloney, Pak salto, toe-on full, full twisting double tuck dismount)
1 x B (giant)

Total DV - 3.3

CV

Derwael / Fenton + Ezhova (D + F, both flight elements) - 0.2

Maloney + Pak salto (D +D, both with turn or flight) - 0.1

Total CV - 0.3

Dismount Bonus

full twisting double tuck (D) - 0.2

CR

Flight from high bar to low bar - Ezhova
Flight element on same bar - Derwael / Fenton
Different Grips - Ezhova, Maloney

Total D - 3.3 + 0.3 + 0.2 + 2.0 = 5.8

None

Credited D - 3.3 + 0.3 + 0.2 + 2.0 = 5.8

Deductions

long hang kip
(insufficient extension in kips and casts) 0.1

cast to handstand with legs straddled
(body alignment → piked hips) 0.1 ^

Derwael / Fenton
(lack of precision / incomplete turn) 0.1

Ezhova
(insufficient height) 0.3
(lack of precision / incomplete turn) 0.1

cast to handstand with legs straddled (following Ezhova) ^

toe-on full
(leg separation) 0.1
(poor rhythm) 0.1
(angle of completion → past 45 degrees of handstand) 0.5

full twisting double tuck
(flexed feet) 0.1
(large step on landing → greater than shoulder width) 0.3

Total Deductions - (1.7 - 1.9), 8.1 - 8.3 / Actual 8.300

(Regarding Vaelen’s casts, upon watching this a second time I noticed she does hit handstand in most cases, but drops her hips slightly almost immediately which can make the cast look short / the body shape not be ideal.)

^ Denotes borderline / discretion available
^^ Denotes possibly not visible from judges’ angle

Don’t agree with .3 leg separation for Shilese on the dismount here, the knees look to be shoulder distance, it’s far from being drastically cowboyed. I also wouldn’t take flexed feet, they aren’t fully flat, there’s some toepoint downward happening. Deduction for feet apart on the landing definitely needs to be given though.

I have no deduction on the Toe full, and also not on the glide kip, LOL? That is so uncalled for. I don’t have a leg separation deduction on the front giant (it’s definitely improved this year and looked minute enough to discount) but I did take it on the Van Leeuwen. Also have a deduction for loss of flow on the Pak, there’s a brief pause with the arms not seeming to swing through quite fluidly enough (Andrade deserves that deduction even more on her Pak here), and a grip adjustment on the last cast.

Last difference, I don’t think flexed feet should be taken on the first tkatchev, the toes are clearly pointing somewhat outward rather than the feet being flat. There are much worse cases; if everyone is given this deduction for even the slightest hint of the feet not being ultra-pointed, as if no bones exist in the feet, then the deduction really loses meaning. And while I do give the deduction on her Downie, her foot form there is better than in many other cases where the same .1 will be applied (her feet are clearly pointed during the first part of the release and only flex after she goes over the bar); it’s close to not deserving the deduction. So overall, 8.6 E from me.

You need to start judging with us when we judge gymnastics meets!!!

Don’t agree with .3 leg separation for Shilese on the dismount here, the knees look to be shoulder distance, it’s far from being drastically cowboyed
I think in a perfect world (with robojudging) it would be a 0.3. But from the side, it’s probably 0.1. You cannot deduct what you cannot see. Although one could certainly make the argument that the position in which she holds her knees makes it obvious that she’s cowboying to a 0.3 leg sep; even if you cannot yourself see the leg sep from the side.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back