2024 Cairo World Cup

2024 Cairo World Cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

J175

Registrations are now out for the first World Cup event of 2024,

A lot to unpack there. The list is pretty great for one of these meets. Loads of gymnasts who will think they have at least a shot at qualifying.

Also a fair few entries from countries who don't need to worry about qualifying for Paris - particularly good teams from GB, Japan and China (WAG only).

There are three neutral athletes, all Belarussian, no Russians. Most notable is Yahor Sharamkou, previous Euros finalist (and medallist at the Covid affected Euros in 2020). I guess if he's at his best he could get in the mix for a floor spot. The other two are first or second year seniors, so no idea about them.

I'm not going to count the Russians out until the competition starts, but at the moment it definitely doesn't look like any of them will be going to Paris.

North Korea have registered, so based on Asian Games An Chang OK should be a favourite for a spot on vault or bars.

I wonder if there might be some slightly brave strategy being attempted by Belgium - Lisa Vaelen is only registered for vault, despite also being a likely contender for bars. I would speculate they think they can get Vaelen in on vault and someone else on bars and want to avoid the situation where Vaelen gets both and the tiebreak goes against them?

Levi Jung Ruivivar is also going for the Philippines, though I think she is much more of an outsider as far as qualifying for Paris is concerned.
I knew about LJR and she hasn't gone NCAA yet.

Malabuyo I am surprised with because she is currently competing NCAA and she's been limited to bars and beam, so I wasn't sure if they would risk it with her physical limitations at the moment.

I knew about LJR and she hasn't gone NCAA yet.

Malabuyo I am surprised with because she is currently competing NCAA and she's been limited to bars and beam, so I wasn't sure if they would risk it with her physical limitations at the moment.

I assumed instead of being limited to UB/BB, she just wasn’t making the VT/FX lineups.

Of the two British WAGs, Becky is down to do bars, beam and floor and Ondine the AA. Wondering if Ondine has a second vault, as it wouldn't make sense otherwise. She doesn't need an AA total or the competition numbers, unlike Becky on floor.

Malabuyo has been in the floor lineup as well for both meets and she’s working on getting her vault ready for competition. Looks she’s only planning on doing beam and floor at the World Cup.

Of the two British WAGs, Becky is down to do bars, beam and floor and Ondine the AA. Wondering if Ondine has a second vault, as it wouldn't make sense otherwise. She doesn't need an AA total or the competition numbers, unlike Becky on floor.

Assuming this is about Cairo? It happens fairly frequently that people register for all four events and then scratch vault, or just do one, or what GB gymnasts have done a couple of times is two vaults from the same group. But yeah unless Ondine has a new vault there isn't really any reason for her to do it.

This article was published about Malabuyo a couple of weeks ago:

So it seems she's planning to go to Cairo and Cottbus, but no mention of Baku or Doha, and the statement that she'll be at UCLA "for the postseason and everything else" suggests she's gambling on getting enough points from two events. Big risk IMO.

Malabuyo has been in the floor lineup as well for both meets
Oops...I guess I missed that she competed on FX. Someone said on Reddit she was limited to UB/BB
Louisa Blanco on the list is interesting.
Is it? I just assume she wanted to hit up a few international meets before Paris considering she only did Pan Am Games last year.

Is it? I just assume she wanted to hit up a few international meets before Paris considering she only did Pan Am Games last year.
I don't recall there being an announcement about her missing NCAA meets, which is why it surprised me. Since she's Bama's best, I would have expected them to announce it beforehand like UCLA did with Malabuyo.

Twitter reckons Derwael is down for beam and floor. Still can't do bars.

Didn't see that coming, but makes total sense. She was always pretty useful on both.

I definitely wasn't expecting that, but she absolutely could qualify by this route. She's qualified for Worlds finals on both events in the past, I think beam is more likely though.

If the translation I'm reading is correct, the Belgian federation are going to send Derwael, Brassart and Pinxten to Cairo and Cottbus, and then a decision about the other World Cups will be made after that.

Start lists are up for both qualification days, results and live scoring should be available from that site tomorrow. According to posts on Reddit there will be video available from the Elevien app. Not sure if finals will be streamed somewhere else.

Qualification day 1 is scheduled for 15:30-22:15 local time (GMT+2).
Day 2 is 14:00-20:40
Saturday and Sunday finals are 14:00-16:55

Long days for the judges. Cottbus next week still seem to think they can get the qualification sessions done in 3 and a half hours, and they have more entries.

It appears Israel have withdrawn due to security concerns. Their gymnasts, most notably Andrey Medvedev and Alexander Myakinin, will now have to go to all three remaining World Cups to really have a chance of getting to the Olympics. Doha might be problematic?

Also, Nina Derwael has withdrawn from floor, so she's only doing beam.

Last edited:
Twitter quickhits below. Just scores, because there's apparently no livestream

Elevien have been told to keep the videos private until Saturday.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back