2020 Event Finals Day 2 MAG SR/VT WAG FX (Monday, August 2, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Tom Forster’s FB post after 3 event finals:

Full text from Reddit:
"Three event finals done - WOW! What a roller coaster of emotions we have been on the past two days! In case you have not been watching on TV, here is the synopsis: Jade Carey, who is by far one of the best vaulters on the planet, almost tripped before her hurdle on her first vault in the finals. We have never seen her do that, so we gasped knowing if she went for her Cheng vault she was surely at risk to get hurt. Intelligent as she is, she did a simple Yurchenko tuck at the last second, even knowing it would ruin her chances for a medal. But, it was the right decision. Then, Mykayla Skinner, who ends up in the vault finals because Simone withdrew, wins the silver medal to end her amazing elite career! It was epic!

Then, all eight of the uneven bar finalists had some sort of error in their routine. All of them! Amazingly, Suni was first up and thought quick enough to cover her mistake with a move I have never seen her do (Bhardwaj from a cast handstand) and her score held to claim the bronze medal! Wow! Congratulations to her and Jess for having her so well trained in fundamentals that she could, not only make that decision on the fly, but pull it off without freaking out or falling!! Then, tonight, Jade wins the gold medal on floor! She did the best routine I have ever seen her do in the past three years! Here’s the back story on that: If you read one of my earlier posts about Suni and her coaches changing her routine the day before all-around finals, this is the same story for Jade. Brian, Jade’s father and coach, decided to do the same thing with Jade’s routine. So they reached out to Jade’s choreographer, Elizabeth Betty Okino Benson, and told her their plan. Betty put together some new choreography (from her living room in California) in Jade’s second corner to replace the double turn they decided to remove and - presto - a gold medal! I cannot explain how awesome these athletes and coaches are! We are so proud of them for doing everything possible to perform at their best when the pressure is on. This is the kind of stuff that makes the job fun!

I can only hope you are as proud of these athletes as we are here in Tokyo. They work very smart in the gym, they manage their outside distractions and they are enjoying the experience as much as anyone could in a pandemic Olympics. One more final to go tomorrow - go Team USA on beam!!"

What a roller coaster the LAST TWO DAYS have been? Did he just get there?

And he praises gymnasts individually but calls Simone “Team USA” tomorrow? (And Suni, but it wasn’t “Team USA” in the vault final…)

My favorite was “we gasped knowing if she went for her Cheng vault she was surely at risk to get hurt”. I doubt he knew what had even happened until it was over with a replay, like the rest of us.

Me too! I love how Jade dances right into her passes. I like that it is minimalist, crisp, and athletic. To me, there is something artistic about the crispness of her routine. She doesn’t seem to have excess movement.

I admire Vanessa and her effort. Her second pass rocks the house. I don’t enjoy, however, watching the constant arm movements, the appearance of falling out of dance moves, and I thought the music was awful. Everyone has their own taste, I suppose.

So I just D Panel’ed Vanessa.

Absolute gift. She got 5.9 D. I would have given 5.7. The Memmel was not around (she let go and lost the shape prior to 2 revolutions). But I can forgive them for missing that.

They also credited the Gogean. Vanessa has a very good habit of twisting these skills into the ground so that they look rotated. The gogean absolutely was not, and I caught this in real time (to be fair - I did not catch the Memmel in real time, only on the replay).

But Vanessa got the silver by 0.033. And if she had not gotten credit for the Gogean, she would have been in 4th and out of the medals entirely.

Another 4th in an FX final. Based on that one judgment.

Anyone else want to chime in? I’m going to D panel the rest of the routines too. I’ll start with EF but I’m sure, in the run up to Worlds, I’ll try and get AA and TF done too.

Last edited:
I noticed the twisting the dance elements into the ground, too. I thought gymnasts stopped getting away with that crap 10 years ago.

Reactions: L_R
It’s all the more egregious as Listunova’s back triple full and switch full were both downgraded.

If you’re gonna be picky with one, you should be picky with all.

Last edited:
So I was sad that Samir Ait Said didn’t get a rings medal. Then I found out about his bicep injury and realized why his routine was so shaky. His instagram said something about 2024 being four years away. Yikes. I get why he’d want to compete in Paris but maybe it’s time to retire from gymnastics and switch to MMA.

The Memmel didn’t even look close to me.
It’s infruriating because they were pretty strict on everyone else.

Although, they did give Rebeca’s Memmel which I was also a bit borderline on. But seeing as they gave it to Ferrari there was not way they couldn’t also give it to Rebeca.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back