US WAG Olympic trials Night 1 Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What I cannot understand is why USAG apparently wants Skinner on the team, especially now, after everything that’s happened in the US over the past year.

The racist tweets she made should have been enough to keep her from making any future teams. Not to mention her unsportsmanlike attitude after she was made an alternate in 2016.

I still believe she should have been removed from the alternate position after that racist tweet directed at Gabby in 2016.

But “doing your best” isn’t the marker of making an Olympic team.

Amari Drayton can “do her best” but it won’t beat a mediocre Biles.

Hell, how about I show up at Olympic Trials and “do my best”. Would you put me on the team?

You want and trust USAG to make and factor in a moral judgement about an athlete’s behaviour as part of team selection? The USAG that at least one of the contenders is suing, and for all we know more since there were a number of anonymous victims? Or perhaps you’d like USOC to do it instead, in which case the same also applies.

It is if your best beats the others or the others throw it away. The Chinese have consistently had the potential to be the best team in the World but at crunch time, they don’t bring their best and they don’t win sometimes they don’t even place.
How many beam and bar titles have they thrown away.
Komova, if she had fought for that vault landing, she would be Olympic Champion.
Yep!

That is a given and no one is saying that is the decision making criteria. But Skinner came in 4th on Night One. So if they take the top 4 AAers and she repeats this performance on Sunday that’s it.

Last edited:
Dominique Dawes isn’t holding back.

Watching these Olympic Trials, brings me back to a place of fear, anxiety and control. This is the culture of Elite Gymnastics. I don’t wish this upon any of these young women…nor my own children. Remember, fans, these coaches know that they are mic’d…don’t get fooled by the kind words and hugs. For many, it’s all an act on center stage! I should know…in the end, it’s all about money and medals not about well being of these athletes.

I’m preparing myself mentally and emotionally for Skinner making the team. I don’t hate her. She has some good points. I definitely don’t prefer her. Still pulling for Grace to take the fourth spot.

If Skinner doesn’t make the team, I hope that doesn’t put Riley’s chance at an individual spot in jeopardy. And, as I said earlier, Jade’s spot in vault finals may be in jeopardy if Skinner ends up in Tokyo as a team member or individual.

Skinner “brought it” but was also helped considerably by the judges. Even with help Skinner didn’t go above 8 for UB, BB, FX.
14.133 on beam is laughable and if that routine was scored properly she would be n 6th or 7th, not in 4th.
Damn. With this mysterious scoring bonus Mykayla will be going to the Olympics unless she self destructs Sunday. It is now too easy forTom to name her even if we see reasons that she is less than ideal.

She needs to give it a rest already.

Vaguely alluding to “abuse” while she was an elite athlete but not calling out Kelli Hill…meanwhile promoting her gym as “Maryland’s only safe gym”. It is all about advertising her gymnastics academy.

Also, check out the ProShop! Kid’s shirts are low stock! Buy now! https://dominiquedawesgymnasticsacademy.square.site/s/shop

Reactions: Dex
There is no “mysterious scoring bonus”.

Judges are not properly evaluating her execution. Bars was super tight for several athletes but extremely loose for Skinner. Her wobbles and pauses on beam overlooked. Her splits and leaps should have gotten hammered…but they didn’t.

I wouldn’t care if Skinner was in 4th due tot he outcome of the meet, but she really should be in 6th or 7th if everyone was scored equally. It’s funny how the narrative has always been that the judges are out to get her…but she benefitted the most last night, followed up by Chiles and Biles.

Look at both McCusker and Skinner on bars. Tell me how they are only .7 apart on execution. Look at Suni’s beam and Skinner’s beam. Tell me how they are separated by only .5 ??

Last edited:
Dawes is one of my all time favorites but this just confuses me. She trained for 3 Olympics. The last as a 24 year old. What is she saying?
When I first saw statements prior to this, I thought she was saying she did not like the level of intensity required to be at that level and didn’t want it for her children which is a personal choice.

She completely cut off Kelli Hill.
Hill reached out to Dawes and Dawes has not responded to her.

Dawes has alluded to being abused as an elite gymnast but has not named who the abuser was and what the actual abuse was. States that elite gymnastics is toxic and emotionally abusive. Then promotes her own gym as one that is healthy and safe for gymnasts and that she will change gymnastics for a greater good at her gymnastics academy.

Read more here:

Freaking fishy… self promotion it looks like

Reactions: Bob
Hey, I had an idea for an additional sheet for the judging document, is there any way to take the “final” Gymnaverse scores and the “final” USAG scores for each day and put them in a sheet that then ranks them? I’m trying to think of the best way to do it and coming up short (side by side lists? Let USAG’s scores dictate the rank but show the Gymnaverse rank next to it? it alphabetical, put each score in two columns for each day/event? USAG scores across a top row for each athlete, gymnaverse scores below?) Mostly, I am just trying to think of a way to get all the scores from Nationals and Trials on one page so we can straight compare trends.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back