Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I was running the same sorts code, with just Nats and Trials. I was looking at:
  • Average counting all scores
  • Just max score
  • Just min score
  • Average dropping the high
  • Average dropping the low
The only scenarios the top scoring team was someone else (DiCello) was looking at the minimum scores across the three days and average but dropping the high.

The top five teams are also always all within .5 of each other, and the top ten are all within .8. It really is close, and the combinations all show how incredibly clustered vaults scores are (and how high they are compared to other events). Which is a separate issue.

Depending on what’s going on with Jade’s injury I think there’s a decent chance that two of McCallum/Skinner/DiCello make it with one getting the +1 over Riley. If the +2 are the defacto team alternates you really don’t want to take two injured people.

Looks like this was quite an evening.

It does seem like they’re after Skinner for the 4th, doesn’t it? And honestly, that would make a fair degree of sense if not for Suni’s injury: the only TF gap left by the three locks is vault, the ones MyKayla showed last night were pretty fire, there’s no getting round that, and Jade looks less of a certainty for a vault medal than she did a few months back. When nobody has made the spot their own, that would be as good a case as anyone else if not for the Lee issue.

But for all that Grace is inconsistent and hasn’t been particularly impressive, if I were USAG I’d rather be putting her up on bars, beam and floor if Lee doesn’t make it to competition. Though it’s not as if Tom can make the point that those execution scores aren’t going to hold up internationally. I don’t know whether he’ll go for for the top 4 AA or the highest scoring team if those two are different, I understand they weren’t last night, but I do think it’s going to be one of them because it’s easiest to explain and justify.

I had hoped for Leanne Wong to do better, but that’s my own fault for doing anything other than completely dismissing a GAGE gymnast’s chances out of hand.

I’ve crunched numbers and still think it takes more sense to take McCallum over Skinner. Looking at vault, Biles, Skinner and Chiles round out the top 3. Jones is not worth taking for one event, so next ranked would be McCallum. The difference between McCallum and Skinner on vault is only 0.5. Skinner is maxed out on floor and hit that set as best as I believe capable. McCallum slots into the top 3 on floor very nicely alongside Biles and Chiles (she lost nearly a point on her 1st pass).

Grace has been to two worlds and has proven herself to be a steady, internationally well received gymnast. Is the US really going to send a gymnast who is getting E scores in the 7s for 3 out of 4 events? No way. The international judges would eat her alive.

I would be happy with DiCello as the plus 1 instead of Riley. If Jade has a possible injury she would be a better cover for the rest of the team. And I feel Skinner deserves the 4th spot at the moment. She has improved so much in the last coupld of months. I think she will look better in a few more. But things may all change on Sunday.

They are not putting it out on the floor.
She is.
Wong, McCallum, and DiCello should be bringing it. They’re not. Skinner should be top 10 not top 4.
As I said before, the girl is putting her money where her mouth is. (I) Can’t be mad at her.

Last edited:
But that’s only if you are doing math in Base Simone. Really though, it’s not close. Definitely not “stupid close.”

That we are in the minority is an understatement , but I find myself edging toward Team Mykayla for the 4th spot too. She’s a trooper. She worked hard, followed a very different path, and surprised us all last night. But let’s see what happens Sunday. Everything could change.

I hate this ‘Skinner worked hard’ narrative. Everybody has worked hard! She’s hitting her routines to the best of her ability, but the built in deductions are not being properly taken. There’s not enough separation in E score between these routines, and it’s disrespectful to the girls who actually have decent form. It reminds me of 2016 when everyone was happy to ignore Aly’s overscoring because she was ‘such a hard worker.’ Ugh.

I know people don’t like Skinner but to say Grace has shown her consistency internationally is a stretch, she had a pretty significant error on bars at Worlds in 2019. I’m not a fan of Skinner but atleast when she went to Worlds and she made 2 EF’s and medalled on one. I think the scores Skinner received last night were laughable but Grace, Wong and Di Cello aren’t necessarily helping their case. At the end of the day with Biles,Chiles and Lee anyone in the top 10 could go and the team total wouldn’t be significantly different. Whoever makes the 4th spot is only likely to do 1 event in the TF provided the top 3 are healthy. At this point they could as well give the top 4 the team spots. If Skinner can match this performance on day 2 I don’t see them leaving her home however, I can’t see her doing this again Sunday.

Last edited:
I’m sorry but the bottom line is:
She’s hitting to the best of her ability
Her competition for 4th are not
They are not
That’s on them
Not on her
I’m no Skinner fan
I thought she was delusional and would be having a breakdown when she didn’t make the team
She is making her case and making it well
Kudos for her

Yes she is hitting but that does not eliminate the fact that the judges are not taking the deductions they should. If she would have been properly scored, hitting or not, she would not be in fourth place. What is the point of taking a gymnast that is going to be slaughtered once the deductions are applied as they should?

I’m going off memory so it may be off but when she did go to Worlds, she scored well, of course, on vault but also floor. They are not going to use her for bars and beam. If the poop hits the fan, she is not a liability for winning team gold. They are going to win.
The other girls need to bring it!

You’re missing the point: the deductions aren’t being properly taken! I actually like Skinner (her YouTube channel has helped), I just hate that the scores aren’t indicative of what’s actually being performed. The judges shouldn’t just ignore the appropriate deductions because she’s hitting her routines to the best of her ability.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back