US Nationals WAG Day 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

When they were notified about the petition. So it seems like Tom was less than honest… shocking right.

Her video this week broke my heart. I’m glad she filmed it so raw. It was honest, and she’s been so, so honest in all of this. I hope she makes it to Worlds this year.

This absolutely pure speculation but Morgan broke her prior to the meet and had to use spares. Could this have effected her performance? I found it rather shocking that her performance was so bad and such ad ecrease in quality from classics.

Rules are rules and I prefer black and white to secret squirrel stuff behind closed doors. However, I mostly agree with the petitions being denied. Morgan has become a headcase, Hernandez has performed a lack lustre beam on 1 day then injured the next. And then there is Chellsie. If her day 2 was as good as day 1, she would be going to Olympic Trials. My heart broke for her whilst watching her video about the comp. The tears and strength and vulnerability, it makes me want to rush over and give her a big hug. I really hope she gets to Worlds. I love Andy’s video when he says that she has even made a new skill. I’m so proud of her getting home and straight back into the gym.

Doug, I have a question about Memmel day 2 bars. Am I correctly seeing USAG judges only took .25 in deductions, other than the falls? And you only took .5? Even accounting for it being a hyper short…thing…(to call it a routine seems wildly inaccurate)it feels like that’s a level of execution we just don’t see. Ever.

Also: oof, Skinner was so wildly overscored by USAG judges.

Yes. But what skills did she do?

A kip cast.
A huge Hindorff so no amplitude deduction (which she missed)
A kip cast
A toe Shap
A clear hip (which she missed). And you don’t take for lateness if there’s a fall on it.

So there were very few skills to take deductions on.

Most routines have 15+ skills (including a pirouette which usually gets 3 for being late, let alone leg form).

Last edited:
I’ve seen some ugly-ass toe shaps that have .5 in deductions alone 🙂 Just wanted to make sure I was interpreting scores correctly. I really expected her execution score to be lower.

If I recall, most of my non fall deductions were on the toe shap and the catch on the high bar. Maybe 1 or 2 on her casts, can’t remember.

Morgan hasn’t ‘become a headache’ - she was still recovering from TWO surgeries on her right elbow in March! 😡

IMO, it was due to lack of numbers because she’s still recovering from TWO surgeries on one elbow. To me, Morgan seemed almost lost in the air from lack of training. Jmo.

I disagree.

She was fine on beam at the US Classic, going 13.200.
It seems pretty obvious that she got nervous/ in her head…if day 1 disaster was a fluke, she would have come back and hit day 2.

FYI:
If you want any of the videos I uploaded, download them. I will be deleting them on Wednesday.

Skinner got 7.65E and Siegfeldt got 7.85E.

I don’t see how they’re even in the same ballpark. I had 8.2 for Siegfeldt and 6.7 for Skinner.

Me and @MRR both judged Ava and Skinner Night 2. We actually had Ava ahead of Skinner in the AA (by 3 tenths) when Skinner actually beat Ava by 2.9…

USAG had Skinner in 10th and Ava in 22nd. Crazy.

Skinner’s strategy of “throw all the difficulty because there’s no way the judges can possibly take all the deductions from my fugly gymnastics” sure seems to be working on USAG judges. Barf. So we horrifically overscored at nationals. I fear what scored they’ll be throwing out for her at Trials.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back