US Nationals WAG Day 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I really like McCallum and predict she will be on the main team and do vault and beam in TFs, with Biles, Chiles and Lee covering the other events.

She has insane potential on bars and works quite well with the apparatus. She also has fantastic choreo on beam, and great technique across the board. She’s not my favorite, but I had to spread some love
Grace is one of my favorites. Part of that is because I give her full credit for her potential (with a Cheng and those bar connections she’ll be unstoppable) and I like her quiet confidence and style. Im preparing myself for her being an alternate (because of lost training time due to that injury). 🤷‍♀️ Who can explain fandom really?

Plus she can do wolf turns without impersonating a windmill.

Last edited:
I know people always reference her potential Cheng, but the Amanar has always looked far more feasible for her imo. Granted now it all seems moot, but… around the 2:03 mark

I agree. I also think she will make beam finals and come up with a surprise medal.
Her beam set is smartly constructed and will receive zero artistry deductions from international judges. It might not be the most fascinating beam set in the World, but it is definitely a smart one.

Unfortunately Shilese Jones has never lived up to her potential and is a hot mess express when it comes to consistency.
Her vault is consistent, the rest of her gymnastics is not.

Olympics no, but maybe she can go to Worlds and surprise everyone!

I haven’t been following gym last years very closely and I don’t really know her. Yesterday I watched her beam and though it’s not the most exciting thing ever, it’s very compact, it does flow very well and it has at least a nice acro series with the original touch of the leap before. I agree this might play very well internationally and I’m not mad at that.

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for Shilese , I actually think her gymnastics now qualifies as beautiful . If she throws her Amanar that she’s been saving for trials and her full in beam dismount it could make things interesting . I agree about her consistency but she did hit cold at Winter cup .

Right but a sub 13 score on FX and a low 13 on BB is not going to cut it. She really did nail VT and UB both days of Nationals though.

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for Shilese , I actually think her gymnastics now qualifies as beautiful . If she throws her Amanar that she’s been saving for trials and her full in beam dismount it could make things interesting . I agree about her consistency but she did hit cold at Winter cup.

Shilese would be lucky to score in the low 13s on beam. She just barely managed that at Winter Cup and hasn’t come close since. 12.1 at US Classic, 12.45 and 11.7 at nationals.

Assuming McCusker is accounted for, Tom isn’t considering anybody beyond McCallum, DiCello, Wong, Skinner, or Blakely for the last spot unless he’s forced to.

It’s too late for people like Malabuyo and Jones to change the game without something extraordinary happening. Worlds is wide open, however.

Last edited:
I don’t even think Blakely is in the running to be honest, she is too inconsistent on her best event.

Skinner is out as well since it is pointless to take a one event gymnast for an additional .3, especially with Chiles probably upgrading both of her vaults. If Chiles is Amanaring, then a DTY as a lead off vault is perfectly fine, as DiCello, McCallum, Wong have world class DTY.

I agree it will be one of McCallum, Dicello, or Wong for spot 4, with it likely being McCallum or DiCello.

Tom already has a gymnast without major team experience (Jordan). He probably would rather not have another (Wong, DiCello). So, I’m placing my chips on Grace.

Reactions: Dex
Both have major team experience.
Wong was a member of the Pan Am Games team in 2019 and Junior Pan Am Championships in 2018.
DiCello was a member of the 2018 Pacific Rim team and also the 2019 Junior Worlds.

Don’t know when this was posted, but the selection report for the national team and Trials has been posted. It’s…interesting. Feels like maybe there’s some ass-covering going on here and the document was written well after the fact, trying to explain away Tom’s contradictory statements regarding petitions. https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Committee Minutes/ASC/asc_060621.pdf
Petitions Considered
Three petitions were received prior to the end of U.S. Championships, for Riley McCusker, Chellsie
Memmel, and Morgan Hurd. The Athlete Selection Committee decided to accept Riley McCusker’s
petition based on the discretionary criteria described above and her performance on uneven bars at U.S. Championships.

While it was a tough decision, the Athlete Selection Committee ultimately decided not to approve the petitions from Morgan Hurd or Chellsie Memmel. Despite their athletic accomplishments, the Athlete Selection Committee did not feel the athletes would be competitive for a spot on the Olympic Team this year.

Petition Process
Pursuant to the Athlete Selection Procedures, in order to be considered by the Athlete Selection
Committee for entry into the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Women’s Gymnastics, petitions must have been submitted in writing to the USA Gymnastics national office as soon as practical after the athlete becomes aware of her inability to participate in the process described above, but no later than the conclusion of the 2021 U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Championships. The three petitions were received prior to the conclusion of U.S. Championships and were reviewed by the Athlete Selection Committee immediately following the event.

Prior to naming the team and making the announcement at the conclusion of U.S. Championships, Tom, Jessie, and Annie verbally conveyed the Committee’s decision to each of the athletes (or their coaches) that petitioned. However, formal written notification was not provided until later in the week.

Last edited:
It makes sense.
They wanted to tell the athletes in person the decisions of the petitions, rather than wait for the document to come in the mail/email. Something has to be done officially anyway.

The drama could have easily been avoided had Tom thought before speaking.
“Athletes were notified as to the decisions by the committee and were told informally in person. The petition process is still not completed because it has not been formally completed. At this time we are not releasing this information, however, if athletes wis to share the outcome they are free to do so. Otherwise, we are giving them space and time to process the decisions as well as time to inquire with questions should there be any. Thank you for understanding.”

He needs to go. Period.
It is clear he doesn’t have a clue on how to pick teams, or to rationalize the decisions, he is wishy washy and confusing when speaking to the media. USAG needs someone with enough media savvy to speak the truth while also being transparent. There is a way to be tactful with media.

e needs to go. Period.
It is clear he doesn’t have a clue on how to pick teams, or to rationalize the decisions, he is wishy washy and confusing when speaking to the media. USAG needs someone with enough media savvy to speak the truth while also being transparent. There is a way to be tactful with media.
Totally agree. The wrong guy at the wrong time.

I agree Tom needs to go. He has no idea how to handle the Media and seems completely uninterested in learning how to improve. The only problem is who can replace him? I doubt anyone wants the job.

Last edited:
Then eliminate the position completely and save money.

He has no technical advice to give athletes or coaches, just “thanks them for their time and effort”. Marta had her issues for sure but gymnasts got feedback on their routines and were suggested to make changes.

He makes no strategic decisions since he typically is going by rankings (which is fine just make up your damn mind).

He has no clue how to speak to the media, in terms of answering questions or in delivering statements to the press.

The athletes are clearly confused by him as evidenced by Skinner and McCallum statements.
He doesn’t appear to be working for the gymnasts, as Simone has stated, she wished he had fought harder for her YDP SV. So her perception is he didn’t go to bat for her.

There is simply no need to have his position. A selection committee can be composed of various members that can determine a team roster, especially if the new norm is using rankings of selection meets.

Interesting proposal. I wouldn’t think anyone really good would be interested in the position until things stabilize and the bankruptcy resolves and the victims receive compensation.

Who would make lineup decisions at world/Olympics in the absence of the HOC?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back