Simone is out of the AA, VT, UB and FX

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

No, I really don’t think so. It’s not just the twist that’s the issue. It’s your orientation in the air resulting from flipping and twisting at the same time.

In the event finals athlete status thread there is a clip of Larissa training. She is taped up and gingerly trying some skills.

Agree, if there wasn’t a good chance she could do beam I dont think she would still be in Tokyo. This beam final is really going to be exciting!

I expected that Simone would withdraw from floor too. Unless the twisties evaporate, there was no practical watering down solution available to her, so she’d have been essentially competing an exhibition to come way down the standings and would be keeping someone else out of the final so she could have a play. It’s not like beam, where there’s a viable non-twisting route to a medal at least theoretically possible.

There is a training video posted in the ‘athlete status updates’ thread. She appears not to be okay but she is trying anyway.

I would also love for her to compete and end on a high note, tthough I also wouldn’t be surprised if she won’t be able to hit a perfect beam routine. If she competes, the pressure must be huge again. People will be thinking: “oh Simone competes, at least she’ll take one gold”. Also even though her problems are with twisting, I can only imagine this doing something with your overall confidence as well.

I hope I’m wrong though. I would love for her to compete well.

I would also love for her to compete and end on a high note, tthough I also wouldn’t be surprised if she won’t be able to hit a perfect beam routine. If she competes, the pressure must be huge again. People will be thinking: “oh Simone competes, at least she’ll take one gold”. Also even though her problems are with twisting, I can only imagine this doing something with your overall confidence as well.

I hope I’m wrong though. I would love for her to compete well.
I will be VERY surprised if she competes beam. VERY surprised.

I think if she does compete beam, it will be very much as an exhibition. She deserves it.

My guess is she’s not going to compete if she doesn’t consider herself a legitimate medal prospect. That probably means something like the usual set plus the double pike for 6.2 D, being hit in training.

I will be VERY surprised if she competes beam. VERY surprised.
I must say I would be as well, but since Mykayla said she would do beam, I’m thinking she might do it. Because otherwise why would Mykayla say that? She could have just said that it was up to Simone and that Simone would let people know when she has made her decision

Simone deserves to compete if she feels able, no matter what. And I think all this shows how extraordinary it was that she won AA gold in Rio and then still managed to win 2 more individual golds without losing focus while having more pressure and attention on her than any previous champion.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back