Simone is out of the AA, VT, UB and FX

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Imagine having been crucified and then reading someone use it to whine about a gymnast not taking the opportunity to seriously injure herself whilst two billion people watch. You’d be fucking furious.
Presumably Jesus is quite a bit more tolerant than we are. But this is just silly. (Understatement) I mean people do trivialize religion, but this is really just silly.

A bit off topic question, but how come Jordan Chiles and Grace McCallum are still in Tokyo? As far as I know all athletes that are finished must leave the day after their last competition. They are not in contention for any final anymore.

I know for example even Lieke Wevers, who’s usually glued to her sister, has left right after the AA, while Sanne is still here waiting for the beam line up to unfold.

I think Gerasimova is also still there, so maybe it was up to each country to decide? Maybe the Dutch Olympic Committee had different rules for their athletes.

Reactions: L_R
I thought it was a rule that Japan installed. But I could be wrong

Reactions: L_R
Because of covid I can also sort of see why federations wouldn’t want to take anyone home until all the events have concluded, just in case. Chiles was 13th and McCallum 16th on floor in prelims. Not saying it’s likely that either will compete now, but it would only take a couple of positive tests to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, especially as a lot of them have spent the last week hugging and breathing all over each other as they compete. Plus they may also have made travel arrangements for everyone to go home at a certain time and not want the fuss and expense of messing with them.

Maybe the organizers are being a bit lenient because it lets there be some audience in the building. And because (so far) covid doesn’t seem to be running rampant through the competition.

Just as an FYI, following Ruggeri’s tweet: the views expressed in this thread really don’t reflect the distribution of points of view about Simone Biles’ participation this week. In fact, from what I am hearing, many in the US gymnastics community have quietly talked on the sidelines to each other rather than share publicly. Those points of view seem to range considerably.

One question I keep coming back to is “Is this really a mental block on twisting, and if so, why now?”

I don’t know the answer, and in fact, she may not know the answer herself. Of course, that has not stopped everyone from speculating, but I do think part of the tension (besides (a) genuine concern for her and (b) the big effect on the sporting event) is the state of not knowing, at least for all of us.

For example, I myself wonder whether training and wanting do the Yurchenko double pike somehow came into play. And that could involve three different things: mental conflict of the two techniques, competitive psychology, and the stress of conflict between team and personal goals. (Even if it started on vault, it could have crept into other skills, of course.)

I don’t think anybody has brought that up yet, and it might be completely irrelevant, but I wonder.

Last edited:
I don’t think anybody has brought that up yet
I did in fact bring this up a few days ago but I don’t think many people agreed.

I can’t imagine how training two completely different yurchenko vaults might risk messing up your round off flip on.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back