Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Flavia Saraiva

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ellie Black

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
@QuietColours Makes a lot of sense!
I believe not. FIG thing rather than IOC thing
I think you're right in terms of what's official.
But maybe practically speaking, it's possible for one of the Landis to coach her if they are already on the floor — and, very likely, one or both very well might be, right?

@QuietColours Makes a lot of sense!

I think you're right in terms of what's official.
But maybe practically speaking, it's possible for one of the Landis to coach her if they are already on the floor — and, very likely, one or both very well might be, right?
No, absolutely not

Likely that Laurent and Cecile will switch out. Laurent will be there with Simone for vault and bars. Cecile will be there for beam and floor.
Unless Chiles makes the AA, then both Laurent and Cecile will be there.

Melanie cannot have either Landi coach her as she is will have her own French coach accredited to her.

Long gone are the days of coaches coaching other athletes. IE- Bela "coaching" Bogi in Atlanta. (Although Bela never liked following the rules, so who knows if he was allowed to "coach".

For example at Worlds, Anya Pilgrim, Leanne Wong, and Kayla DiCello all were on the competition floor. DiCello was back at Hills so no Florida coaches helped coach her, since she had Kelli.
Since Pilgrim was competing for Barbados, Jenny Rowland was her accredited coach, which meant she couldn't coach Wong or DiCello since both were competing for the United States. Jenny could only watch Leanne and cheer her from the stands. Leanne's official accredited coach was Owen Field. Same with Rowland, Field couldn't coach Pilgrim. Also, Kelli Hill was Pilgrim's club coach, but she couldn't coach Pilgrim since she was with DiCello.

Likely that Laurent and Cecile will switch out. Laurent will be there with Simone for vault and bars. Cecile will be there for beam and floor.
Unless Chiles makes the AA, then both Laurent and Cecile will be there.

Melanie cannot have either Landi coach her as she is will have her own French coach accredited to her.

Long gone are the days of coaches coaching other athletes. IE- Bela "coaching" Bogi in Atlanta. (Although Bela never liked following the rules, so who knows if he was allowed to "coach".

For example at Worlds, Anya Pilgrim, Leanne Wong, and Kayla DiCello all were on the competition floor. DiCello was back at Hills so no Florida coaches helped coach her, since she had Kelli.
Since Pilgrim was competing for Barbados, Jenny Rowland was her accredited coach, which meant she couldn't coach Wong or DiCello since both were competing for the United States. Jenny could only watch Leanne and cheer her from the stands. Leanne's official accredited coach was Owen Field. Same with Rowland, Field couldn't coach Pilgrim. Also, Kelli Hill was Pilgrim's club coach, but she couldn't coach Pilgrim since she was with DiCello.
I think I understood that. Maybe.

Valeri Liukin will also have athletes representing 2 different countries

Valeri will be there with Hezly.

Levi had a black male coach at World Cups.

1720804315911.png

I have to say, if Suni gets a bronze, she is in the running with Simone to lead the best "comeback" list.
Suni might already have won that. Two kidney diseases and she is back to AA. Simone is very impressive but I'm astonished by Suni.

(If Suni wins an AA medal she will have broken the recent "returning Olympic AA champs have a rough second Olympics" curse.)

MSJDS is well overdue a major individual international medal. I hope she hits to her full potential in the AA final. I’d like it to be a close competition and not decided by who stays on BB
Agreed. I just fear that the pressure of a home Olympics could be too much. And I don't want to jinx her by voting for her.

Is he from WOGA or Philippines? It may be that the PHI federation will only take their national staff, and not any personal coaches of the gymnasts
That is Cliff Parks. He is a coach from the US. He has bounced around, not sure where he is based currently. He at one time had a daughter as part of(or working towards) being part of the Philippines national team and I think has continued to work with the team and help recruit USA based athletes to compete for the Phillipines.

Last edited:
Didn’t some blogger used to track top scores throughout the year and post the list before big meets? It wasn’t just aa, but I thought I remembered top beam/floor/vault/bars scores.

maybe they still do but it’s behind a paywall.
Lauren Hopkins (the Gymter.net) used to do that. I haven’t read her site for a while so not sure if she’s still doing so. She also made her master spreadsheet available every now and again.

@irichluck21 but that's not analogous. We're talking about coaches already being on the floor for the AA final, not being in the stands during a different session.

Who's to stop Laurent from saying something to Melanie? There's no rule "coaches can't talk to other athletes". It happens all the time in just casual chat on the competition floor.

I believe not. FIG thing rather than IOC thing
I was just thinking that Melanie is probably the biggest hope for an AA medal for France. So in theory the french federation could have asked the Landis already beginning of the year if Cecile is willing to be French coach during OG. Now it is obviously too late to ask

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back