2024 US Olympic Trials WAG Day 1 (6/28)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Rivera and Sumanasekera are both beautiful gymnasts and either would bring artistry and strong beam (if Rivera hits the dismount), plus decent bars or floor respectively.
I would love to see one of them in the 5th spot (I am at this point assuming that Simone, Jordan, Suni and Jade all make the team, but of course who knows what will happen between now and Sunday night)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree. So I just don't see how Shilese can be taken now, sadly. The risk is too great. As things stand I reckon it's Simone, Suni, Jade, Jordan and then the 5th is wide open. Not one of Kaliya, Josc, Hezley or Tiana would particularly surprise me. Doesn't feel like it's going Leanne's way. And not for the first time, the US should thank their lucky stars for Simone.

Also agree with the points made about Jordan's floor by various posters. I've come to accept that all her floor routines are going to have some dubious dance elements in them. It's just what she does. Might as well make your peace with it. The music, though, feels like an unnecessary risk. I really like the concept of a Beyonce routine for her, but the vocals could bite her in the arse and it's a looooot of songs.
Yeah, I'm with you. I don't think Shilese can make it through a pre-Olympics camp (there is a camp, right?), let alone the 28 days from Sunday to prelims, and yes, it's only 28 days. I really hope they stick to soft landings during camp.

How's everybody feeling on the morning after the night before? I don't think I've even properly processed the fact that Kayla is injured and out. What a night.

is day 2 the same format as day 1 or do they do two events?

How's everybody feeling on the morning after the night before? I don't think I've even properly processed the fact that Kayla is injured and out. What a night.
I woke up expecting to read that Shilese officially had to pull out of night 2 and is now out of Olympic contention.

So what exactly is the deduction for words/lyrics in fx music? 1 point? 2? 1 point for each instance? A tenth? Cuz if it is a .1 nd and Jordan wants to risk that being the thing that keeps her out of fx finals, so be it. I doubt a tenth is going to affect the team standing. If it is a point (or more), then yeah, the team coordinators need to step in and tell her the word(s) need to be muted.

(As an aside, when do you think wag is going to give in and allow lyrics like figure skating has. I figure 1 more quad the way the athletes are pushing the rules these days)

So what exactly is the deduction for words/lyrics in fx music? 1 point? 2? 1 point for each instance? A tenth? Cuz if it is a .1 nd and Jordan wants to risk that being the thing that keeps her out of fx finals, so be it. I doubt a tenth is going to affect the team standing. If it is a point (or more), then yeah, the team coordinators need to step in and tell her the word(s) need to be muted.

(As an aside, when do you think wag is going to give in and allow lyrics like figure skating has. I figure 1 more quad the way the athletes are pushing the rules these days)
I hate that the gymnasts are pushing the rules like this. There are literally hundreds of modern movie scores and I don't know why they don't consider those. Hell, Jordan herself did a Wonder Woman routine, right?

I generally don't think pop music makes good, let alone great, floor music because of the repetition. Verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus. So that's why you get weird cuts with multiple pop songs.

Last edited:
I woke up expecting to read that Shilese officially had to pull out of night 2 and is now out of Olympic contention.
The thought of her not being able to compete is devastating. The thought of her competing is stressful. I don't know what to wish for at this point.

RG already allows lyrics and it works fine, but I don’t think it would work in WAG. The novelty factor of it all would lead to it being detrimental to the sport. However I can definitely see lyrics being allowed in NCAA soon.

When competing internationally, there are a number of factors you need to consider. The one that applies to everyone is that you must have the right to perform to that music, within the jurisdiction that the competition is happening. Melnikova cried when the RGF refused to pay for the rights of the music she wanted to use. The other one is if your music contains vocals, you have to be sure that they can’t be considered lyrics in any language

Last edited:
I am saddened to see the judging of Leanne Wong seems low. She is being held to a different standard then the rest of the competitors. Yes she has had deductions that influence her score but so have others with much better outcomes.
I really have to disagree with this. I thought she was scored generously on beam, so I was cool with her losing .200 in DV. Her form on beam has really regressed IMO. On floor she had numerous landing errors. People say she is consistent but she hasn’t shown that at all this year.

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't think Shilese can make it through a pre-Olympics camp (there is a camp, right?), let alone the 28 days from Sunday to prelims, and yes, it's only 28 days. I really hope they stick to soft landings during camp.
I kind of don’t expect Shilese to even do bars tomorrow. She is tough and stubborn (in the best sense) but she looked like her knee was very hurt.

I kind of don’t expect Shilese to even do bars tomorrow. She is tough and stubborn (in the best sense) but she looked like her knee was very hurt.
Yeah but than she would be conceding no olympics.

Oh, god. Anybody but Roberson. I get that it is cool to bring back stuff from the '90s, but the '96 Eileen Diaz compulsory aesthetic is not a good look on floor. Nothing personal, but ugh. If there is any possible way to make it work out for Shilese, I would love to see her there even for only one event. Huge risk with her injury status, though. My choice for a different fifth would be Leanne or Tiana. Just because they are my favorites to watch.

I would not take Shilese no matter how (if) she does bars. Too great a risk.
The problem is that Chellsie has spent the past year saying that they won’t take someone for 1 event. So if they do select Shilese, I think they’d have to be confident that in a months time she’ll be able to at least contribute on 2 events

Last edited:
Please not Roberson. Anyone BUT her. I think Shi is too injured and wouldn't be shocked if she only does bars (or nothing) on Sunday. At which point it's too much of a risk to take her. I'd guess Tiana or Hezly, of course, I'm rooting for Hezly simply because she's my favorite. She's got a decent UB/BB to compliment Jade Carey's VT/FX.

The problem is that Chellsie has spent the past year saying that they won’t take someone for 1 event. So if they do select Shilese, I think they’d have to be confident that in a months time she’ll be able to at least contribute on 2 events
Yeah, this for sure. I wouldn't want Chiles or Carey up on beam in TF necessarily, so there's a case to be made for her if she can manage a beam routine. I'd love to see her surprise us tomorrow.

Honestly shell-shocked as we face the inevitability (barring a recovery from Jones) that one of Sumanasekera, Roberson, Wong, or Rivera will be an Olympian, each of whom I thought were competing for the alternate spot at best before this week. I haven't quite adjusted to the fact that Jones, DiCello, and Blakely are all out, when all three were likely Olympians.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back