Women’s Team Final

2024 Olympic WAG Team Final (Tuesday: July 30, 2024) 12:15 pm ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I'm happy with the podium results in that I think they perfectly reflect the quality of these Olympic teams. I'd have USA > Italy > Brazil in a power ranking based on their selections. Unfortunately I would have to put China #4 because I can't just ignore how predictable their inconsistency is at this point, despite the high scoring potential.

Looking back over the quad, I think 2023 was the one that should've been China's year. That was the only time they felt like medallists in waiting.

I'm sure it's probably heart wrenching to come that close, but I hate seeing them so upset. They're the only team pouting. They had a great meet. What a fantastic competition

Agreed, it's probably heart wrenching to come that close, but I hate seeing them so upset. They're the only team pouting. They should be extremely proud. They had a great meet. What a fantastic competition
I feel like generally being in 2nd and 4th places tend to feel the worst, unless you're a team that hasn't won a team medal at all in nearly a century

But Simone has a more difficult vault in her back pocket.
But it shows that 1. it's going to be just vault that keeps Simone in first and 2. she really does not have that big of a cushion and will still need to be her best. A few too many OOBs and stumbles and she gives away her lead. And she has fallen on the YDP before.

And that's if Simone's leg lets her do the YDP.

GBR must have been gutted because they saw they were in bronze medal position over with 2 point buffer over the other teams. They had the beam rotation of their lives though.

But Simone has a more difficult vault in her back pocket.

I actually return to my prediction that Andrade beats Simone on either vault or floor in finals. I didn't realize she got a 14.200 today (??) versus a 13.900 in qualifying. I'll have to watch side-by-side, but she had tons of landing errors today... the judges are definitely willing to give her the edge if she can stick her passes and Simone has landing errors. (Not saying that outcome is likely because landing errors are typical for both of them, but definitely in the realm of possibility, despite Biles' 7 tenth D score advantage).

ETA -- it's nice to see Simone getting credited with her Gogean, which has visibly improved and was underrotated through all of 23 worlds. However, this is the second floor routine where she's notably off-time with the ending of her music. I'm sure that's reflected in her artistry deductions (as it should be).

Jade Barbosa is the first thirtysomething WAG since Chusovitina to win an Olympic medal, and the first one to do it in the team competition for decades. I'm not even sure who the last one was- got to have been some Soviet in the 60s who hung around that long? Latynina was 29 at her final Games.

Becky won bars today. I hope she can take that as some consolation, and encouragement for the final.

Becky was a huge asset to GB today - she hit the best ub of the meet and held her nerve on beam. I bet GB never thought they would put Becky up on beam in TF

The GB team did a huge job as the last 5 standing to get within 0.2 of bronze.

PrelimFinalDiff
USA
172.296​
171.296​
-1​
Italy
166.861​
165.494​
-1.367​
Brazil
166.499​
164.497​