Women’s Team Final

2024 Olympic WAG Team Final (Tuesday: July 30, 2024) 12:15 pm ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I am not happy about Suni doing floor. What's going on? I thought Carey's Q floor was just an one-time mishap, like her stumble during vault EF in Tokyo. Her job in Paris was VT and FX, and I would prefer Lee to focus on her strong events. Carey always outscored her on FX this year (minus yesterday), even with her watered down routines (she only competed her full routine during trials IIRC).
She's sick and unable to eat. She can't do her regular floor for reasons beyond her control, and it's too late to sub in an alternate. So they're using their built in event alternate. It sucks, but it happens.

She's sick and unable to eat. She can't do her regular floor for reasons beyond her control, and it's too late to sub in an alternate. So they're using their built in event alternate. It sucks, but it happens.
I don't think they would replace her with an alternate though, she still vaulted fine yesterday plus has much better chance to medal in vault EF than Chiles (who would replace her there if she withdraws).

I absolutely did not have “Jordan Chiles is going to do the AA in a second Olympic team final” or “Suni Lee not only is able to do gymnastics but made the AA final and is going in on floor over Jade Carey” in my Olympics plan. This sport is truly ridiculous sometimes.

FX is her weakest event. So is Suni's but she still outscores Hezly by couple of tenths.
That's what I thought but I would think they could absorb a few tenths to give Suni a break on pounding events.... Maybe something is going on with Hezly?

I am not happy about Suni doing floor. What's going on? I thought Carey's Q floor was just a one-time mishap, like her stumble during vault EF in Tokyo. Her job in Paris was VT and FX, and I would prefer Lee to focus on her strong events. Carey always outscored her on FX this year (minus yesterday), even with her watered down routines (she only competed her full FX routine during trials IIRC).
As we have learned many times, things change in the blink of an eye. We have very little information about the athletes' physical and mental health. Given that, I don't think what Carey did earlier in the season is that relevant right now.

Last edited:
As we have learned many times, things change in the blink of an eye. We have. We have very little informafion than we do about the athletes' physical and mental health. Given that, I don't think what Carey did earlier in the season is that relevant right now.
I am aware. Hence my question "what's going on". And the answer was, she has been sick and unable to do her normal floor routine. I didn't know that, so now I know and it makes sense.

What does the bb line up for China mean? Are they trying to calm them by putting Zhou first up?

I'm kind of surprised that 95% of line-ups still adhere so closely to the old fashioned model of ascending strength for each apparatus/gymnast. In the 10.0 system that truly was a strategic choice but I really don't think since the advent of E/D panels following that norm is boosting scores, so I'd have thought it'd be more popular by now to make psychological strategy choices like putting your strongest/most unflappable beam worker up first. But old habits die hard I suppose.

I mean, i do think there is something to be said for not putting your worst athlete after your best, cause she'll look even worse. However, the Chinese girls are all wonderful adhd it's more a case of who can stay on, so it makes total sense for them

I feel ub first is a good draw for Brazil. Get out of the way and then all other apparatus should be better, barring beam mishaps. I was going to say something about Rebecca and beam but in the spirit of non-jinxing, I will keep it to myself

Does anyone know when the actual competition starts? I'm in my home country and it says it starts at 18.30, not 18.15 as it says on the official page. Are those 15 minutes for introductions/warmups?

It's not clear to me. Here it says coverage starts at 12:05, which I'm guessing is 18.05 your time. I'm going to turn the stream on as soon as it starts, and if I'm early, that's fine.

The UK stream says 17:00 but they do show walkouts and warm ups.

Does anyone know when the actual competition starts? I'm in my home country and it says it starts at 18.30, not 18.15 as it says on the official page. Are those 15 minutes for introductions/warmups?
The competition will begin 6.15 local time. The gymnasts will start coming out at 6, which is when many streams will begin broadcasting

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back