Women’s Team Final

2024 Olympic WAG Team Final (Tuesday: July 30, 2024) 12:15 pm ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What does the bb line up for China mean? Are they trying to calm them by putting Zhou first up?

Btw that last post says everything you need to know about this forum. If anyone asks you what do you do when you're in here, just show them that.

The US would love to have the bump that Simone's YDP would give the team vs her Cheng.
Plus, Simone has been using the YDP as her primary vault this year, not the Cheng. If there is any lesson to take from 2021, decide earlier what the routines and order of vaults will be and stick with it. None of this messing around at the freaking Olympics and making last minute decisions about what to compete.

She was also using the YDP as her primary vault in 2023 prior to worlds, so that may not give us any hints.

But, Simone was also taking a .5 deduction on the YDP because Laurent was standing there. So the .6 advantage of the YDP was basically negated down to .1 so the risk vs reward was not worth it.

If the US can get a big lead from vault and bars, it may be impossible to catch them. Especially since the line ups as they are were the counting scores in qualifications.

Will someone confirm that there's really no AC in the arena? 🥵
The arena is cool (enough for an audience member vigorously cheering and clapping for everybody anyway) but the concourse is really hot and stuffy. I’ve been taking my seat as early as possible. There are some huge fans on the concourse that are a pleasure to stand next to.

But, Simone was also taking a .5 deduction on the YDP because Laurent was standing there. So the .6 advantage of the YDP was basically negated down to .1 so the risk vs reward was not worth it.

If the US can get a big lead from vault and bars, it may be impossible to catch them. Especially since the line ups as they are were the counting scores in qualifications.
It's possible. There's also the calf to factor in and how she feels about protecting it. I think it's fine to make that decision close to the time.

Is there a new update on twitter or something? Didn't Simone(or her coach) post something that she was fine and there was no injury or anything

maybe I am misremembering(or making it up :-)

The arena is cool (enough for an audience member vigorously cheering and clapping for everybody anyway) but the concourse is really hot and stuffy. I’ve been taking my seat as early as possible. There are some huge fans on the concourse that are a pleasure to stand next to.
I was at the Challenge Cup in September of last year and on the FOP it was bloody hot - though the silly pyrotechnics they used did not do anyone any favours. I just remember thinking if that is what it's like in September, what will it be like in July. So I'm sure the folding fans were not just for show.

Some interesting line up choices from China

The only thing I’m surprised by is Luo Huan on vault, and only because her back has been bothering her. If she’s feeling good to go though she could score the same Or marginally better than Ou Yushan anyway.

I was at the Challenge Cup in September of last year and on the FOP it was bloody hot - though the silly pyrotechnics they used did not do anyone any favours. I just remember thinking if that is what it's like in September, what will it be like in July. So I'm sure the folding fans were not just for show.
This can't be good for the athletes. If weather.com is right, it will be 98 degrees in Paris tomorrow.

@Passion
Ou Yushan's FTY was really labored and piked down. There was no way she was going to get a DTY to her feet. Luo Huan is the right choice I think.

@Passion
Ou Yushan's FTY was really labored and piked down. There was no way she was going to get a DTY to her feet. Luo Huan is the right choice I think.

Ou Yushan was never going to attempt a DTY? I don’t think she’s done one all year. She was always going to be vaulting nothing but FTYs here. Luo Huan’s FTY is better than Ou Yushan’s FTY. Luo Huan did not vault in qualifications because her back has been bothering her. I only said I was surprised Luo Huan is vaulting tomorrow because of her back issue, but if it’s improving then that’s good, she’ll do an equal or better FTY than OYS anyway.

I don’t know where Ou Yushan doing a DTY came from lol.

Ou Yushan is the poster child for bubble wrap.

Meanwhile, my entire family has fallen in love with Suni Lee. My mom, a retired nurse and casual gym fan, is amazed that Suni overcame her kidney ailments. My husband and daughter, also casual gym fans, recognize that she's the total package. My work is done.

Ou Yushan is the poster child for bubble wrap.

Meanwhile, my entire family has fallen in love with Suni Lee. My mom, a retired nurse and casual gym fan, is amazed that Suni overcame her kidney ailments. My husband and daughter, also casual gym fans, recognize that she's the total package. My work is done.
Suni Lee has overcome obstacle after obstacle. She is truly amazing

I am not happy about Suni doing floor. What's going on? I thought Carey's Q floor was just an one-time mishap, like her stumble during vault EF in Tokyo. Her job in Paris was VT and FX, and I would prefer Lee to focus on her strong events. Carey always outscored her on FX this year (minus yesterday), even with her watered down routines (she only competed her full FX routine during trials IIRC).

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back