2023 US Classic Session 1 (Senior Women discussion)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What sort of coaching do you think Roberson would really benefit from, in an ideal scenario, MaryClare? (Not intended as a hostile question at all - I’m genuinely very interested as I find her hard to watch but she’s clearly a new Chosen One for some people.)

It’s too late, you can’t lose muscle in a way that won’t impact the ability to do skills.

What you don’t do is have 12 year olds training to pack muscle to compensate for not teaching any sort of technique. Not even Mihai Brestyan does it.

Thank you! That is really informative for someone like me who doesn’t know as much about the technicalities of training.

Ballet trains long muscles, but longer muscles aren’t ideal for the fast twitch that makes for explosive tumbling. So it’s a trade off

See here how the dancer rolls through the entirety of the foot. The takeoff and landing of a leap should look no different from what her feet are doing here

What you don’t do is have 12 year olds training to pack muscle to compensate for not teaching any sort of technique. Not even Mihai Brestyan does it.
And much to Mihai’s credit, he didn’t push kids to elite absurdly young. I have lots of criticism for him, but having Raisman work through the JO levels and only do 2 years of junior elite was smart. I wish more coaches did that.

NCAA as a route to continued opportunity for elte opens up so many doors in terms of regular competition experience, team environment, consistency, maturity, focus on “perfection”, etc.

There was a really (I thought) touching part of the commentary where they were talking about how there are now so many paths for these returners to compete elite again and they’re all doing it differently, compared to the old days where Sam admitted, there was just one: essentially, marta’s way.

Waaaaaaaaaay back in the day I believe there was minimum level 10 score required or being a level 9 Eastern/western competitor to test elite. It’s been a really long time, so the specifics escape me. Not sure what the requirements are these days to test elite/hopes.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back