2023 US Classic (MAG discussion)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I promise I tried to look this up but does anyone know how old Xander Hong is? He is eligible for Tokyo, right?

Xander Hong’s athlete bio on USAG mistakenly links to Kiefer Hong’s athlete bio, so I couldn’t find his age there. His instagram says he’s class of 2024 and his handle ends in 06, so I’m guessing he’s turning 18 next year. Plus Asher is 2004 and Kiefer is 2008, so Xander being 2006 makes sense birth-wise lol.

Last edited:
Scores of qualifiers with bonus removed.
The grey boxes are the scores that had the bonus removed.
Click to enlarge.
Takeaways - Bock was the top guy who didn’t get bonus. He’s not on this chart as his scores had no bonus to correct for. With straight FIG scoring he beat Khoi Young, was about even with Juda, and not too far off Hong.
Sans bonus - Khoi Young and Asher Hong tied on vault.

Last edited:
So, after having 100+ competitors and only 16 or so of those qualify to Nationals, do you think they will have open registration next year or are they going to set some score minimums (or have regional qualifying events)? Were there any guys with real potential that just had a bad day? I saw a lot of struggle the couple rotations I watched.

The more people who compete, the more entry fees USAG collects.
The biggest problem was the length of time and the need to change the day of the event. They need to do everything to avoid that.

As far as struggles show, whoever was running the stream just aimed the camera at random gymnasts. Especially in the first session, there was no rhyme or reason to what they showed.

At the beginning it was some P Bars routine of someone I never heard of, while far in the background Paul Juda was landing a YDP.

They did not show Curran Phillps HB routine which is key routine…but they showed the next guy up, Tyler Shimizu from California. Go Bears, but seriously.

That shouldn’t have been that hard - someone who works at USAG must know who the contenders are. Instead we got whoever was in front of the camera.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back