2022 NCAA Regionals March 30-April 2, 2022

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

IIRC it used to be 2 AAers from regionals and top two for each event that did not qualify a full team. So we had an additional 60 slots, 10 x 6 regionals… some athletes did more than one event if they weren’t an AAer and qualified for more than one event.

has anyone been able to locate rotation sheets for the regional meets. What team is starting on which event and what individuals are rotating with which teams? Last year they were easy to find, but this year I can’t find them anywhere

has anyone been able to locate rotation sheets for the regional meets. What team is starting on which event and what individuals are rotating with which teams? Last year they were easy to find, but this year I can’t find them anywhere

Individuals were not finalized yet due to play-in meet.

Raleigh Regionals Semi Final A
  • George Washington’s all around qualifer Deja Chambliss will be rotating with N.C. State. The graduate student was recognized as the 2022 EAGL Gymnast of the Year after leading her team to a surprise conference championship. She’s especially great on the leg events, with season highs of 9.950 on both vault and floor.
  • Pitt’s star freshman Hallie Copperwheat will be rotating with LSU and competing on bars and beam. The EAGL 2022 Rookie of the Year is known for her precise technique and execution; even her side somi on beam is pretty.
  • Bridgeport senior Kathryn Doran is the only DII qualifier in Raleigh, and her flawless technique on bars rivals the best of the best in DI (her blind change to piked Jaeger is outstanding). She’ll be rotating with Missouri.
  • This is Rutgers grad student Belle Huang’s fourth consecutive appearance at regionals and will be competing on beam and floor alongside Missouri. Her beam composition is one of the most unique (and difficult) in the competition.

Reactions: nog
I get the logic, I just think nationals is already a fairly short meet with only 8 teams. Maybe they could bring back the NIT, there’s just way too many routines that deserve to be showcased.

Haleigh Bryant only doing VT/UB today, Shchennikova in for her on BB, Dunne on FX. I would love to see Iowa improve on Big 10s performance to snatch a finals spot today.

And of course, UCLA is in LSU’s regional. I don’t think I’d like to bet on who will advance out with Michigan now. We’ll have to see if UCLA can avoid getting a 195 today first, but a Michigan - Mizzou - Iowa - UCLA final would be hot.

I will miss LSU’s vault and floor lineups at NCAAs, and I think the individual situation out of this semi is going to be brutal.

What a past few years for USU.They gave LSU a run for their money in SLC semifinal last year, this year they put the pressure on Cal w/ a fall in the first spot in the last rotation. Scoring was a little looser than yesterday, but they beat their NQS on UB by nearly 2 tenths at regionals.

It was so enjoyable to watch Iowa make finals after getting the short stick with seeding last season. Minnesota looks hungry. They’re my sleeper to make final four.

Also, when is Ramler going to get a 10 on bars?? Obviously it wasn’t going to happen with her routine today, but all the 10s thrown the last few seasons, and the gymnast with the most immaculate form in NCAA since Ross still hasn’t get one?? The only built-in deduction is the dismount tap, but where’s the reward for keeping your feet pointed and together for an entire routine? throw the whole sport away lol

Last edited:
Georgia… what is there to say that hasn’t been said? I’ve never been a UGA fan but it was heartbreaking seeing them finish their season so roughly.

Okay this format is really hard for my elite-conditioned brain to follow. Do I have this right:

-Missouri and Iowa go through to the next round, LSU and NC State were eliminated
-Auburn and Kentucky go through, Georgia and S. Utah were eliminated
-Minnesota and Cal go through, Boise State and Utah State eliminated.

And the top two teams from each round of each semifinal (e.g., top two of Oklahoma 1 + top two of Oklahoma 2) compete in the regional finals?

And the top team from each regional final goes to the national finals?

TIA!!

You’ve nearly got it! The top two teams from regional finals move on to national semifinals.

Speaking of elite, I’d love to see more elimination style individual meets in international competition. It’s so exciting.

Last edited:
Thanks! NCAA is sure milking the revenues with all these rounds, aren’t they?

Certainly. 3 of 4 regionals each having a 2020 olympic medalist competing helps bring in the crowds/views.

From a sports science perspective, I wonder what MSU did when their season got shut down. I would’ve spent the rest of that season drilling basics, body position, and conditioning so that you could actually taper in your postseason and focus on skills then peak for postseason. Whatever they did is working. They look great.

NCAA is sure milking the revenues with all these rounds, aren’t they?
It’s more exciting this way and mimics the other NCAA championship sports brackets.
Previously it was 36 teams spread across 6 regionals. 6 teams competed with top 2 going to nationals.
There were byes and the regional was longer.

I 100% enjoy this format more. Though there are 4 less full teams at nationals and far fewer individuals, it is still incredibly exciting.

The play in meets give a sense of importance and bragging rights, as it is likely teams 29-36 are going past the regional semi-final (NC State proved otherwise last year) so the play in meet has significance for those lower ranked teams.
The two regional semi-finals have been fun and we have seen upsets. The regional final is also incredibly intense.

I for one like the elimination bracket.
Even though mine is fairly busted after I lost 3 out of 4 play ins!

Lol, don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising. It’s just a lot of rounds! I’m also a first time fan so I have no basis for comparison!

UCLA’s session has started. I am curious to see which UCLA team shows up. Vault seems to be going well so far.

Lol, don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising. It’s just a lot of rounds! I’m also a first time fan so I have no basis for comparison!
I’e been a fan since 1995!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back