2024 NCAA Regionals (NOW! 4/3/24)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I honestly think Haleigh Bryant will win the AA no matter which session she’s in. When she’s getting 10s on bars it’s over for everyone else. That said she’s going to have to stick her vault or at least come very close to sticking because I do think vault is going to be the ultimate decider in the AA.

No one has won the AA from the 1st semi-final since the new format started in 2019. its rare for anyone to win an event title from the 1st session either.

Last time someone won AA from semi final 1 it was Bridget Sloan back in 2016

My theory is that every season there’s a chosen one that can basically salute and get at least a 9.95. This year it’s Haleigh, before that it was Trinity, there was the Ross/Nichols era, and before that it was probably Sloan. I think a healthy Trinity could have won out of the afternoon session last year, and I can see Haleigh winning if she hits.

I feel like Bowers is a little too inconsistent on vault to win the AA- I really think the winner is going to have to stick- but can see her winning bars or floor. My best bet for AA champion other than Bryant is probably Wong, although I feel like she’s been a tad off this year from her usual standards.

I would also keep an eye on McCallum, Wong, possible Pilgrim and and also Lauzon and Widner, but those two face Session 1 as well.
Jade Carey is a strong possibility to do it as well, especially considering she rotates with Florida in session 2 and starts on FX.

Wong might surprise especially if she gets 9.975/10-ny on bars and beam.

Scores rise in session 2 so Bryant is going to have to be flawless in session 1 to have a chance.

No one expected O'Keefe to win the AA last year (and with a FTY) but she capitalized on session 2 scoring.

Not saying Wong can't win, but Bowers is more of a threat. She's not that inconsistent on her 1.5. She's received a 10 for it. Jordan is ranked 5th on vault, while Wong is ranked 18th.

No one saw Maile O'Keefe winning last year, so it's hard to predict. Frazier and Lauzon from Cal are contenders, as is Luisa Blanco if she hits everything. Jade Carey as well.

I honestly think Haleigh Bryant will win the AA no matter which session she’s in. When she’s getting 10s on bars it’s over for everyone else. That said she’s going to have to stick her vault or at least come very close to sticking because I do think vault is going to be the ultimate decider in the AA.
Agreed. The only thing stopping her from winning it last year from session 1 was her doing her worst vault of the season. She does her normal there, and she wins easily. It will be the same thing this year.

The only person whose 'normal' has the potential to beat Haleigh is Bowers but the likelihood of her sticking her vault compared to Haleigh is much lower. Maybe Blanco or Carey could beat them both doing their 'normal' but it would be very close.

I feel like the AA is almost always - aside from Bridget Sloan and Maggie Nichols - someone no one predicted. I remember the year that Kim Jacob won and was on no one's radar as a potential champion. I definitely wouldn't have predicted Maile last year either.

It really pisses me off that someone like Raena Worley isn't competing all-around at NCAAs. I'm sure there are more, but yeah, there's no respect in this format for individual athletes and gymnastics is much closer to swimming and track and field than it is basketball, soccer, and volleyball.

It really pisses me off that someone like Raena Worley isn't competing all-around at NCAAs. I'm sure there are more, but yeah, there's no respect in this format for individual athletes and gymnastics is much closer to swimming and track and field than it is basketball, soccer, and volleyball.
Same. Add Pac12 AA champ and gymnast of the year Selena Harris to that list. It’s not fair to the gymnast or the audience. This is the only chance I get to see any of these athletes live so it’s quite frustrating.

The format has always been flawed but with the high level of parity and smaller amount of team spots available, AA individuals should be increased to the top 3 in each regional session or should qualify by NQS or something.

They should do a regional all-star competition. The teams could be compromised of the top 2-3 AA in each region plus the top 3-4 on each event. There'd be a team for each of the 6 regions and maybe 2 wildcard teams pulled from Top 50 NQS' minus those already on a regional team. That way there wouldn't have to be any byes.

there is literally no point in so severely limiting the number of individual gymnasts. It completely pisses on the legacy of Jenny Hansen, who won three straight AA titles as an individual qualifier.
Yeah. Unfortunately, the new format strictly reduces the amount of individuals.
Instead of 12 teams advancing, 8 go which leaves 4 top teams out and qualifying individuals.
Top 2 Aers in each regional advanced previously, so there were 12 all-arounders to nationals instead of 4.
Look at the Ann Arbor regional, other than Herring from PSU who grabbed the beam win (which was unexpected) Michigan otherwise swept the individuals Wilson (AA) Vore (UB) Brooks (VT/FX) eliminating everyone from that regional except Oklahoma, Michigan, PSU, and Alabama.

The individual results are nonsensical. The qualification is stupid - why does an athlete on a qualified team get to be in the mix for the AA without getting an AA NQS or doing AA at regionals, while someone like Worley or Harris can’t go? The number of ties also makes the whole thing pointless.

I’d honestly rather they use NQS than the Nationals event for individuals, and that is saying something since the scoring situation is so bleak. But at least the participation isn’t completely canted toward athletes from the team qualifiers.
Same. Add Pac12 AA champ and gymnast of the year Selena Harris to that list. It’s not fair to the gymnast or the audience. This is the only chance I get to see any of these athletes live so it’s quite frustrating.

The format has always been flawed but with the high level of parity and smaller amount of team spots available, AA individuals should be increased to the top 3 in each regional session or should qualify by NQS or something.
It’s especially unreasonable that Selena can’t compete, but a qualified team could put up someone who hasn’t done AA all year, and that person could win despite not having an NQS or placing top X at regionals. It’s ok to make it hard to make Nationals. It just isn’t equitable to be able to bypass a difficult qualification process if you’re on a good team.

Agreed. Frankly, id almost argue that the top four teams ranked by nqs should advance to nationals regardless of how regionals go. It would be a shame to not see them there. Same with individual and AA nqs finishers. I love the regional play off type system for teams but it really sucks if you have an off day or the scoring trends day of screw you over.

Winning nationals should be a day of affair. Qualifying shouldn't be.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back