2024 Week 12 Conference Championships Saturday, March 23.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I haven’t seen the meet, but was it the correct order re: Pac12s? I’m just seeing a couple of videos saying Utah was overscored here and UCLA was underscored there. I watched the SECs and was a bit surprised by some of Florida’s scores, specifically their first vault and their first floor routine (Victoria Nguyen).

At this point, it's hard to find a team/conference that isn't overscored. Big 10s started out tight (except for floor) but by the second session, routines that went 9.8 in the first session were 9.85 or higher. When vaults with hops or giants with bend elbows start going 9.9, it's hard to NOT push the teams with good form to ridiculous scores. The deductions are there, especially bent arms on giants (my current pet peeve.)

I thought Utah was better last night, but it’s hard to make a totally accurate assessment due to being at the mercy of the PAC-12 network and what they chose to show. I can’t say I’m going to miss the Pac-12 network.

UCLA could have pulled the upset but just couldn’t stick any bars dismounts. As soon as Chae fell I knew they were out of it. Bars has been their problem all year.

Oklahoma setting the scoring record is bonkers. That record’s 20 years old and I honestly thought no one was going to touch it.

At this point, it's hard to find a team/conference that isn't overscored. Big 10s started out tight (except for floor) but by the second session, routines that went 9.8 in the first session were 9.85 or higher. When vaults with hops or giants with bend elbows start going 9.9, it's hard to NOT push the teams with good form to ridiculous scores. The deductions are there, especially bent arms on giants (my current pet peeve.)
I watched a lot of gymnastics yesterday, and hands down the most overscored meet was ACC. It would not surprise me in the least for NC State and Clemson to get very rude awakenings at regionals.

Last edited:
Especially because if I pulled it correctly, Ohio State, NC State, and Oklahoma are in the same semi-final. One of them will be out. (likely won't be Oklahoma)

Especially because if I pulled it correctly, Ohio State, NC State, and Oklahoma are in the same semi-final. One of them will be out. (likely won't be Oklahoma)
I'd like to see another team win (LSU being at the top of that list with Cal, Mich St., Kentucky, or even Utah), but the only team that's beating OU is OU. Everyone else looked beatable; OU needs to take a lot of steps or beat themselves in another way for someone else to win.

Oklahoma winning makes sense and will happen unless tragedy hits.

But yeah seeing teams like Cal, Kentucky, and Michigan State moving up to Nationals contenders is exciting, especially considering that 20-25 years ago they were their conferences' bottom feeders. Just shows what a good coaching staff can do. Especially for Cal, when their program faced discontinuation some time ago.

LSU has been just on the edge of winning for over a decade plus now.

Something to be said about Oklahoma coaching staff and how they can train and coach dominant teams. They know which gymnasts will fit in to a winning program.
Kindler is the most talented NCAA gymnastics coach of all time. Not just with Oklahoma but what she did with Iowa State before moving to Oklahoma.

it really is stunning what Kindler and her staff have pulled off, in particular with the parity in NCAA gymnastics.

It really is.

I am curious what would have happened had Nunno stayed at OU longer and Kindler at ISU.
IIRC, Hollie Vise had committed to OU with Nunno with the expectation that she was going to do beam only for one year based on her elite experience and injuries.

Kindler took over for 2006-2007 and then Vise was doing UB/BB/FX by her senior year in 2010, which I think she was runner up at NCAAs on bars and floor, along with 2nd place with the team.

Have to wonder what would have happened to Iowa State had Kindler stayed after that 05-06 season, when Iowa State made Super Six for the first time ever.

And Vise, her senior year, was also doing a full twisting yurchenko, just not making the VT lineups. But she either competed or exhibitioned it at least once.

ETA: Yup, she was one time in the actual lineup. She scored 9.850 on VT on 3-12-2010 against Washington. And a 39.600 AA.

Highest Individual NQSs:

AA - Haleigh Bryant (LSU)
VT - Selena Harris (UCLA) and Haleigh Bryant (LSU) (tie)
UB - Jordan Bowers (OU) and Audrey Davis (OU) (tie)
BB - Ragan Smith (OU)
FX - Raena Worley (UK)

Nice that Selena Harris, on the very last week, pulls into a tie with Haleigh on VT.

And as technically precise as Maile O'Keefe is on BB, after that interview she gave, I'm kinda glad Ragan Smith just edged her out. Plus, it's nice to see Ragan get something cool in NCAA after injuries took her out of 2017 Worlds AA.

Could someone please remind me how NQS works now. Is it merely used to get you a Regionals seeding? Or going into Nationals, is your score half your NQS and half your Regionals score? I guess I'm asking how one tabulates how teams are ranked after Regionals.

I knew how it worked with RQS but times change. Thank you!

NQS is just used to get the seeding for regionals. When you get to nationals the two advancing teams from the regional with the 1 seed are paired in a semifinal with the two teams from the regional with the 4 seed. The teams from the other two regionals are put in the other semifinal.

They don’t reseed anyone after regionals, so if one of the top teams goes down it doesn’t affect who winds up in which semifinal.

NQS is just used to get the seeding for regionals. When you get to nationals the two advancing teams from the regional with the 1 seed are paired in a semifinal with the two teams from the regional with the 4 seed. The teams from the other two regionals are put in the other semifinal.

They don’t reseed anyone after regionals, so if one of the top teams goes down it doesn’t affect who winds up in which semifinal.
So after Regionals, teams are seeded based purely on their Regionals Final scores? NQS doesn't factor in?

Have to wonder what would have happened to Iowa State had Kindler stayed after that 05-06 season, when Iowa State made Super Six for the first time ever.
Likely would have been a top 10-12ish team but a step behind the top programs. The Iowa State athletic department weren't interested in giving the money/resources needed for them to take them that step further.

Another sliding door moment - KJ and Lou interviewed at Washington before the OU job was available but turned the position down because of how expensive the cost of living was there.

It really is.

I am curious what would have happened had Nunno stayed at OU longer and Kindler at ISU.
IIRC, Hollie Vise had committed to OU with Nunno with the expectation that she was going to do beam only for one year based on her elite experience and injuries.

Kindler took over for 2006-2007 and then Vise was doing UB/BB/FX by her senior year in 2010, which I think she was runner up at NCAAs on bars and floor, along with 2nd place with the team.

I keep wondering if Rhonda Faehn stayed at Florida and didnt move onto the mess (at the time) of USAG. Possibly one of the worst sports career moves ever in hindsight. She had/has a KJ vibe and had brought UF to the titles with the program humming.

I had L10 states this weekend so I saw zero of the conference championships, but I'm not sure I would put too much stock in them. It is obvious its OUs title this year barring them doing something that they haven't done since KJ started which is total collapse. If LSU was going to touch them I would have expected them to be matching them at this stage of the season, and I just don't see it. Cal is nice, but they really are performing at their peak

So after Regionals, teams are seeded based purely on their Regionals Final scores? NQS doesn't factor in?
They no longer reseed after regionals.

Your seed is your seed throughout in bracket style play through to finals.

In the past, teams were reseeded based on regionals going into nationals.

For example, in 2005, Georgia was ranked 5th with NQS going into the post-season. They went to the South East regionals, had three falls on beam, had to count two falls (Heenan 9.4 and Ericksen 9.225, plus Childs 9.550, dropping Smith's 9.075) and finished with 195.150 to narrowly beat out Denver (17th ranked) who also counted two falls and a 9.5 on beam.

So they dropped from 5th all the way to 12th with that 195.150. This placed them in session 2 the afternoon session with the even ranked teams.

This is a Georgia team that ended up winning the team title and were under ranked all year due to consistency on bars and beam, but hit at the right time.

However, now there is no re-ranking as mentioned.
You could be #18 and the lowest ranked team to make it to Nationals but your ranking at nationals won't change from 18 to 8, it stays 18.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back