2024 NCAA Regionals (NOW! 4/3/24)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Denver is playing with fire with falls early in every rotation, but all four teams look great. I don't have PAC 12 tv, so I don't see these teams often. Nice to see them all hitting well.
I swear Denver needs the pressure of something to fight back from--early falls, underdog status, whatever--to get their best performances.

Denver was lowballed on floor compared to what Stanford was getting.

Some karma coming back to Denver whose home cooking got them to nationals last year I guess.

I am thrilled for Stanford! I thought they could have been scored higher on UB and BB, but their floor scores were high. I wish Denver could have advanced too, because I enjoyed them.

Notes from being at the Cal Regional:

Cal's performance today is potentially a National Championship winning performance, depending on what OU and LSU do. I hope they can make it through to Four on the Floor and then duplicate or even better this performance in Finals.

Cal is kind of the new UCLA in terms of being the top UC school in the sport and a National Championship contender.

In the evening session of Semifinals, Margzetta, joined by Selena Harris and Emma Andres, came to the Cal section to root on eMjae. It was nice to see Marz so happy for eMjae even though it was the end of her own career.

Mya Lauzon was on fire tonight.

The Cal section gave Stanford a standing ovation for advancing to Nationals (as an unseeded team!)

It was great to see all 4 teams hitting and it being so close between Denver and Stanford for the 2nd spot to Nats.

Really happy for Stanford. Sad for Denver, they do so much with such a small school and small budget. Pushing hard for Cal, idk, if I would go so far as saying they replaced UCLA. To be honest, their athletic department future is murky at best. The ACC is probably going to fold within the next year or two.

The early semi should be a rather boring affair with Cal and LSU advancing pretty easily. The evening session, has the potential to be a real nail-biter for that second spot. Utah, Bama and Florida can all produce similar numbers.

Really happy for Stanford. Sad for Denver, they do so much with such a small school and small budget. Pushing hard for Cal, idk, if I would go so far as saying they replaced UCLA. To be honest, their athletic department future is murky at best. The ACC is probably going to fold within the next year or two.

The early semi should be a rather boring affair with Cal and LSU advancing pretty easily. The evening session, has the potential to be a real nail-biter for that second spot. Utah, Bama and Florida can all produce similar numbers.
So I take it the afternoon session is LSU, Cal, Arkansas, Stanford.

And the evening session is Oklahoma, Florida, Utah, Alabama?

How is it determined which teams compete in which National Semifinal?

So I take it the afternoon session is LSU, Cal, Arkansas, Stanford.

And the evening session is Oklahoma, Florida, Utah, Alabama?

How is it determined which teams compete in which National Semifinal?
Yes, its is determined by the seeding at the start of regionals, so the top seed is placed on one side of the bracket, the second seed on the other. As the top seed they are supposed to get the benefit of playing the lowest seed, so the #4 region is placed on that side of the bracket and the #3 on the other side. So the #4 for seed region was Gainesville, which had Utah and Florida coming out of it.

Per Collegymnews.com
here are the projected individual qualifiers.

Ann Arbor

Teams: Oklahoma, Alabama
AA: Gabby Wilson, Michigan
VT: Sierra Brooks, Michigan
UB: Carly Bauman, Michigan
BB: Amani Herring, Penn State
FX: Sierra Brooks, Michigan

Notes:

• Bauman wins a bars tie over Mia Takekawa with a higher NQS, after four-judge score total and the head judge scores were also tied.

Fayetteville

Teams: LSU, Arkansas
AA: Jade Carey, Oregon State
VT: Mya Hooten, Minnesota
UB: Courtney Blackson, Boise State
BB: Isabella Magnelli, Kentucky
FX: Raena Worley, Kentucky

Notes:

• Magnelli wins on a tie-break over Ella Sirjord based on a higher NQS, after both remained tied by four-judge total and head judge score.
  • Worley wins a tie-break over Hooten on floor by NQS, after both remained tied by four-judge total and head judge score.

Gainesville

Teams: Florida, Utah
AA: Lily Smith, Georgia
VT: Emma Silberman, Maryland
UB: Mara Titarsolej, Missouri
BB: Nikki Smith, Michigan State
FX: Skyla Schulte, Michigan State

Notes:

• L. Smith beats out Nikki Smith in an all-aroudnd tie break via the highest single-event score, her 9.975 on bars.
  • On bars, Titarsolej surpasses Ni. Smith via the four-judge total.
  • Schulte wins a tie break with Jocelyn Moore on floor via the four-judge total.

Berkeley

Teams: California, Stanford
AA: Skylar Killough-Wilhelm, Washington
VT: Anaya Smith, Arizona State
UB: Jada Mangahas, Arizona State
BB: Selena Harris, UCLA
FX: Chae Campbell, UCLA

Notes:

• Mangahas wins a tie on bars by way of highest four-judge total.
  • Harris wins a five-way tie for first on beam, and Campbell wins a nine-way tie for first on floor both with the highest four-judge total score.

There are so many athletes I want to see compete.
Its crazy how teams like Denver, Ohio State, NC State, Clemson, Towson, Arizona won't have ANY athletes competing. Insane that Jessica Hutchinson's season (and career) are finished).

They really need to rethink nationals. This format is great for teams, but it excludes individuals. Michigan basically swept all of the individual slots in their regional.

I would like that the top 2 in each region in the AA and each event advance to Individual Nationals along with the top 8 NQS in each event and individual events.

If it was done this way, advancing to Nationals would be
AA
Haleigh Bryant
Jordan Bowers
eMjae Frazier
Jessica Hutchinson
Selena Harris
Mya Lauzon
Raena Worley
Luisa Blacno

+
Gabby Wilson
Lily Smith
SKW
Jade Carey
+
Kat Levasseur
Ginna Gerdes
Nikki Smith
Chloe Widner

16 All Arounder competing for National AA champion. This would be a great meet. There are even strong AAers left out!

Its all about TV $$. It shouldnt be too much of a stretch to pitch a individual nationals competition made for TV that could generate extra $$. It would be so much better for both fans and the gymnasts too!

Especially if you get NIL involved, and you get the sponsors of these gymnasts involved.
It can even be a week or two after Final Four on the Floor.

I honestly wish they didn't crown AA and event finals anymore. Unless you are in the 2nd session, you have relatively no hope.
Haleigh Bryant is a legit AA contender and maybe even favorite, but she's unlikely to get AA or VT because she is in session 1.

Basically, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida, and Utah are going to sweep the event titles and AA will likely go to Oklahoma.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back