2022 NCAA Regionals March 30-April 2, 2022

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Highlights for me were Arizona almost making finals looking better than I’ve seen them before, Stanford’s totally unexpected two 197s in a row after years of scraping into regionals, Iowa redeeming themselves on bars with a season high in finals, and Denver clinching a finals spot with a limited roster and a gritty fight w OSU.

30th for Georgia. Feels representative of how much of a struggle this season was for them. Kupets probably has another season or two but 18th last year was the lowest till date so things aren’t trending well. Thin ice.

I’m excited for Mizzou but Raleigh felt underwhelming in the last rotation. UCLA blinked on BB but Mizzou shouldn’t have gotten 9.925 for the final routine even w/o an oob. Where was Norah on BB? Hard to not walk away with mixed feelings when you like both teams.

The two best routines of the night, Campbell’s VT and Kenlin’s BB, both got hosed imo. 9.9 for Wright w/ a hop, what more did they want from Chae for the 9.95? And Kenlin’s 9.9 doesn’t hold up in comparison to Chiles’ 9.75 with a leg up wobble and a hop on her dismount. She had no wobbles, lovely leaps, and even kept her back leg extended on her front aerial. 9.9 felt harsh but maybe I missed something in the chaos of 2+ quad meets going at a time.

Wilson’s tiny shuffle on VT would take away the stick for me idk it was a fantastic vault but not a 10 imo.

From my angle, she was definitely out. I was straight to the left of this picture, looking down the line of the floor.

I just can’t anymore with their selective rage about over/underscoring.

From what I’ve seen (which admittedly is a bit patchy), it’s Florida’s to lose, with Oklahoma most likely to challenge. Despite the overscoring, both teams are extremely good when they are on, and they are on more often than not. Michigan should be in the conversation too, but they’ve been up and down so I don’t know what to expect from them.

From my angle, she was definitely out. I was straight to the left of this picture, looking down the line of the floor.

She is definitely in. Her toes are on the line. Her heel never dropped down.

I think the reason there is debate is that the floor mat was used and crunches up naturally upon impact.

UCLA blinked on BB but Mizzou shouldn’t have gotten 9.925 for the final routine even w/o an oob.
Agree that 9.925 was a bit high.
However floor was very loosely scored last night for all teams.
Celestine score might be a gift but so was Jordan Chiles’ 9.950 on floor with short leaps and a wolf 1 1/2 that’s as sketchy. Not to mention Poston and Wright getting gifts on vault. Malabuyo’s 9.975 beam was a joke.

I’m totally down for anyone that wants to debate the scores and say Celestine shouldn’t have gotten a 9.925. BUT if you are going to do that to her and Missouri then the same reflections need to be made about UCLA, Michigan, and Iowa as well. Gabby Wilson shouldn’t have gotten a 10.0 for vault for example. If you don’t hold all teams to the same expectation then it is just bias.

No one would be complaining if Missouri hadn’t advanced over UCLA or that it was .025.
If Missouri was several tenths ahead of UCLA no one would be upset if the OOB wasn’t taken.

At the end of the day Missouri was better. UCLA gave it back on beam and even floor honestly. Wright went in for Flately and for 9.650. Flately was capable of 9.9 there and also on beam. But her mental health and physical health are more important.

UCLA had three scores in the 9.7s on beam. You can’t do that and expect to advance these days. Especially when your rival is on floor where unless you made a major mistake or fell, your score is minimum 9.850.

Last edited:
Also.
Look at Brooklyn Moors floor score.
Her final score was a 9.875. She got a 10.0 from one of the judges.
This means that 9.900 and 9.850 were averaged.
Which means a 9.850 or lower was thrown out.

10.0/9.850 or lower split is unacceptable.

But… let’s focus on that ONE Missouri floor score.

Last edited:
Here is partial of Jordan’ floor exercise (only the last pass).

She is WAY short of the 1 1/2 wolf and look at the large lunge on the double pike (her front foot comes up).
Yet the routine STILL went 9.925. The last pass was a minimum .1 step back not to mention .1 on the short wolf/lack of control. So if accurate judging was happening, this routine would be below 9.800.

But Twitter is going insane over Celestine’s floor score and still claiming UCLA was robbed.

Last edited:
A little controversy is good for the sport. I agree, much like any sport, very rarely can you point to a singular episode as the “moment” that an official changed the outcome of the game. The reality is there are tons of examples scattered through competition that you can point to that would have made that call irrelevant. I think people, particularly UCLA inclined, have a hard time because up until the final rotation, they were cruising. But as we all know, beam is where dreams go to die many a time. Just ask LSU how that works.

I think people, particularly UCLA inclined, have a hard time because up until the final rotation, they were cruising.
I wouldn’t say “cruising”.
They went into the final rotation with .425 cushion. However, if you go back to rotation 1, UCLA benefitted greatly from lots of .1 that were not taken. On my end, Missouri should have been ahead of UCLA by at least .3 going into the final rotation. Not the other way around.

College Gym News also noted how loosely floor was scored for UCLA.
Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.28.56 AM

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.33.04 AM

The results were definitely misleading based off the gifts UCLA got in that first rotation.

Last edited:
I do not disagree with you, I am just presenting a reason why some folks might be irrationally complaining that UCLA got hosed. .425 margin is a pretty big margin going into the last rotation, that’s almost enough where you can count a fall. Listening to the broadcast, when they were starting the rotation, they were solely focused on if Michigan or UCLA were going to win, not if Mizzou had any chance to catch them. But everyone benefited from loose scoring on the floor, it just so happened that Mizzou finished on the floor so were the last to benefit. Consistent with my position from earlier posts, and ultimately the right team advanced even if it was a poor example of scoring, the judges were consistent.

This is true. Also big difference in beam for UCLA.
I thought UCLA had it based on how they performed on beam in semi-finals with a 49.300. That said, UCLA was always going to be iffy on beam and with Norah Flatley removing herself from the line up, took out a strong beam score that went 9.900 in semi-finals.
.425 is a large lead but when you count a 9.75, 9.775, and 9.800 The other teams goes 9.850, 9.900, 9.950. The other team catches up .375 and now the lead is only .050 which is less than a step.

UCLA did give up quite a bit on their hesitant beam performances that put them in the position to be eliminated. All they needed was to score the same they did in semi-finals and they would have advanced. They opened the door just as much as Missouri took benefit from floor being loosely scored.

My other point still stands.
UCLA started on floor and got roughly .3-.5 in errors not taken. It was definitely not a 49.550 rotation. Going 49.250 would have been more than generous.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back