2024 WAG Qualifications Subdivision 2 (CHN MG 2 GER/Nemour USA ITA) Sunday July 28 5:40 am ET

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

In this case it wasn't so much her facial reactions as her back & butt for most of her routine, since she barely faces out in that routine except pretty much at the end

Did Biles do her new bars element today? I only watched with one eye open so I could have missed it
No, just the 1/2 turn. I would think she won't be doing it? Unless she sneaks into finals, which I don't think but I guess could happen?

If Jade isn't much better soon, they should not put her on floor in TF. She can probably manage a vault ok. Cannot risk what she did today. So I assume that would be Suni, or would you all go with Hez?

Also cortisone shots take a few days, so I don't know that it's an option. Usually it causes some pain and you don't just get one and get right back to work. She would have needed one last week most likely.
Moreover, cortisone injections are not typically given for Achilles injuries (if that is what is amiss) as the cortisone can weaken the tendon and make athletes more susceptible to tears.

If Jade isn't much better soon, they should not put her on floor in TF. She can probably manage a vault ok. Cannot risk what she did today. So I assume that would be Suni, or would you all go with Hez?
I know Hezly has a ‘hit’ streak right now but she was way too shaky for comfort. The only event I would use her on is bars to give Simone a break. That way the only one doing AA in TF would be Jordan…depending on who they choose on floor and if they feel Jade is ok.

Moreover, cortisone injections are not typically given for Achilles injuries (if that is what is amiss) as the cortisone can weaken the tendon and make athletes more susceptible to tears.
These achilles tears tend to give you a couple weeks warning...

This was Kayla DiCello. In the training week before Trials. Complaining of lower calf pain.

I really hope she can push through til EF without it going.

I like the idea of trying to build in rest and being tactical about resting for finals. The US don't need to go lights out to win the team title, but they could benefit from some smart thinking about how best to exploit their individual medal chances.

So I'd put Jade on vault only. She did not look like someone who's going to have the energy to be trusted on floor in two days time, even assuming she'd water the last pass down to a double tuck. Hezley on bars, rest Simone. Jordan AA, as she looked full of beans today and her final won't be for 6 more days. Suni probably 3 events, but I'm open to persuasion about using Hezley on floor instead.

Aren't both USOC and the IOC pretty twitchy about subbing an athlete who's somewhat impaired but can still perform? I know Jade was visibly unwell earlier, but it hasn't stopped her once again being one of the best 8 vaulters on Planet Earth.
I assume it’s an endurance thing. in an empty stomach, she can vault. and her tumbling was fine until she was 70 seconds in

well that could be true... I guess I do... one time I went for a cleaning and I had a pretty bad cavity and when my dentist saw it she said why didn't you come in sooner, I asked why and she mentioned the cavity and I didn't know I had one and she said you must been in so much pain based on how bad it was and I was not lol

Nemour got a 7.1 D-score.

And she missed a connection, too!

Someone should check, but I think that means the judges credited her with the half twist into the Yezhova. I don't remember judges doing that before.

Nemour’s Derwael / Fenton was downgraded by the D panel to a Ricna.

Potential D Score = 7.4

Less:

1. 0.1 in DV for F -> E
2. 0.1 in CV for F + D, both with flight -> D + D both with turn or flight)
3. 0.1 in CV for not connecting the Pak Salto and Komova II

7.4 - 0.1 DV - 0.2 CV = 7.1 D Score

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back