2024 US Olympic Trials WAG Day 1 (6/28)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Floor Music.png

Someone would have to ask at media tomorrow if anyone's music has been submitted to the WTC for evaluation.

Or just incessantly tweet at the USAG social media manager and see if she comes up with an answer lol.

Otherwise we'll find out in Paris.

So bummed about Shi. I honestly don't think I care who the 5th team member is at this point (as long as it's not Roberson). There really isn't a clear pick. I'd almost just rather have Biles, Chiles, Lee and Carey do AA in qualifications.

I hope Roberson has the meet of her life. I'm cheering for her from my own little corner here. I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but I absolutely hate all the "As long as it's not Roberson or anyone but Roberson." You may not like her aesthetic or her gymnastics, but do we really need to throw those phrases out there? I've never particularly cared for Gabby but I would never say I hope she fails at what she's trying to do and whether you see that or not, saying you don't want someone to make the team is wanting them to fail. It just hurts to see one particular gymnast talked about this way. I hope all the girls do the best they can and whether they make the team or not I hope they can all be happy about what they've accomplised.

The additional pressure put on Hezly and Tiana tomorrow will be interesting. I cannot imagine they ever imagined this to be possible.
They're definitely going to get their test tomorrow. And if one of them makes that fifth spot, she will be in a fantastic position on a team with four Olympic veterans. Imagine, you're 16, you've never competed at a major competition, and your first one is the Olympics. You'll have four people who've been through this at least once before and can guide you.

Also, as an aside, the past three Olympics the USA has brought somebody whose first major competition was the Olympics and each has done well.

Edit: I forgot Grace McCallum was at 2018 and 2019 Worlds, so scratch that.

Last edited:
The additional pressure put on Hezly and Tiana tomorrow will be interesting. I cannot imagine they ever imagined this to be possible.

Rivera was 6th at Nationals, she was definitely already seeing herself as a contender for the team then. Most gymnasts aren't looking at the numbers the way we do. They focus on their own routines and think if they can just hit everything they'll make it.

She would have been pushing close to Carey in 4th with a VT like she had at Nationals and a slightly better beam dismount. If she hits all her routines tomorrow, she very literally could make the team.

That said I'm expecting more falls overall from the field at large tomorrow. Everyone always starts falling apart a little by day 2 of Trials no matter how secure/insecure their spots are.

I hope Roberson has the meet of her life. I'm cheering for her from my own little corner here. I know I'll get a lot of flack for this but I absolutely hate all the "As long as it's not Roberson or anyone but Roberson." You may not like her aesthetic or her gymnastics, but do we really need to throw those phrases out there? I've never particularly cared for Gabby but I would never say I hope she fails at what she's trying to do and whether you see that or not, saying you don't want someone to make the team is wanting them to fail. It just hurts to see one particular gymnast talked about this way. I hope all the girls do the best they can and whether they make the team or not I hope they can all be happy about what they've accomplised.
I am in that little corner with you. I like Roberson. Her energy is contagious, and she improved a lot. Wish her vault(s) was not so scary, but other than that, I am all Team Roberson.

I am in that little corner with you. I like Roberson. Her energy is contagious, and she improved a lot. Wish her vault(s) was not so scary, but other than that, I am all Team Roberson.
I get where you are coming from but I don’t like watching scary vaults. Simone scares me a bit even though I know her technique is good. When I see Jocelyn twisting until her feet hit the mat it scares me a lot.

On the other hand she seems very intelligent, kind and personable so it is hard to root against her.

They're definitely going to get their test tomorrow. And if one of them makes that fifth spot, she will be in a fantastic position on a team with four Olympic veterans. Imagine, you're 16, you've never competed at a major competition, and your first one is the Olympics. You'll have four people who've been through this at least once before and can guide you.

Also, as an aside, the past three Olympics the USA has brought somebody whose first major competition was the Olympics and each has done well.

Edit: I forgot Grace McCallum was at 2018 and 2019 Worlds, so scratch that.
The fact that you forgot that McCallum was on every major team throughout her senior elite career is both galling because I loved her (technique goes a long way with me) but also hilarious because she is probably one of the more forgettable US stalwarts in the end.

It's such a shame that for all her tenacity and millions of different permutations of routines -- on floor she has done silivas, dlo, dos santos, whip triple, 2.5 front full, double pike in recent years -- and her good technique and poise and her grit (cheng attempt!).... that Leanne Wong has sadly just not improved her overall results since last quad, when I thought she had a good chance for Tokyo. It's a shame she hasn't been made a shoe-in for this last-man-standing team.

I can't get all that excited for this sleeper spot, so for me Leanne would be something of a moral victory. Second to her, Tiana for the lovely beam and floor performance, or Kaliya just to watch her knock a teammate out of floor finals ;)
Hezley still just scares me. I can't get over all the times the past few years when she fell on her head :(

The fact that you forgot that McCallum was on every major team throughout her senior elite career is both galling because I loved her (technique goes a long way with me) but also hilarious because she is probably one of the more forgettable US stalwarts in the end.
Now I'm realizing that maybe you meant that the Olympics were the first major competition for Jordan Chiles? Because that would be true.

It's such a shame that for all her tenacity and millions of different permutations of routines -- on floor she has done silivas, dlo, dos santos, whip triple, 2.5 front full, double pike in recent years -- and her good technique and poise and her grit (cheng attempt!).... that Leanne Wong has sadly just not improved her overall results since last quad, when I thought she had a good chance for Tokyo. It's a shame she hasn't been made a shoe-in for this last-man-standing team.

I can't get all that excited for this sleeper spot, so for me Leanne would be something of a moral victory. Second to her, Tiana for the lovely beam and floor performance.
Hezley still just scares me. I can't get over all the times the past few years when she fell on her head :(
I would love Wong for the 5th. No need to bring in one of the others. She has been at every Worlds this quad and has individual medals. But her current gymnastics are excessively boring.

I actually really liked McCallum too. I maintain she was the MVP of the Tokyo TF. But yeah, totally forgot she was on all the major teams.

Now I'm realizing that maybe you meant that the Olympics were the first major competition for Jordan Chiles? Because that would be true.
Oh yeah! Then I'm still right! The USA has brought a gymnast who has never been on a major team every Olympics since 2012: Kyla Ross, Laurie Hernandez, and Jordan Chiles.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back