2024 NCAA Regionals (NOW! 4/3/24)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

irichluck21

Staff member
Defender
Official announcement is Monday, 3/25/24.

I made a mock regionals selection and this is what I came up with.

Ann Arbor (Michigan) Regional

Semi Final #1
8 Alabama
9 11 Michigan
23 Kent State
25 Penn State

Semi Final #2
1 Oklahoma
16 NC State
17 Ohio State
31 Illinois/ 34 Ball State

Gainsville (Florida) Regional

Semi Final #1
5 Utah
12 10 Michigan State
21 Towson
26 Maryland

Semi Final #2
4 Florida
13 Missouri
20 Georgia
30 Clemson/ 36 Iowa State

Fayetteville (Arkansas) Regional

Semi Final #1
7 Kentucky
10 12 Arkansas
24 Arizona
27 Nebraska

Semi Final #2
2 LSU
15 Minnesota
18 Oregon State
32 BYU/ 33 Southern Utah

Berkeley (Cal) Regional

Semi Final #1
6 Denver
11 9 UCLA
22 Arizona State
28 Washington

Semi Final #2
3 California
14 Auburn
19 Stanford
29 Boise State/ 35 San Jose State

Unsure if this is what will be called tomorrow for the bracket but it makes the most sense in terms of rankings/ geographical placements.
I honestly think that it just needs to go straight up rankings in the future.

The host conflict was truly the story this year.

Oklahoma v Ohio State v NC State will be a good semi final, as will LSU v Oregon State v Minnesota, as will Cal v Auburn v Stanford

They should really have more lower ranked teams and neutral sites host, it would solve so many problems. It's usually just one regional host that is outside the top teams.

They used to before the changes to 4 regionals.
Due to the additional 3 teams competing at one site, the criteria to host drastically changed.
Also it is no longer a one day event, it is multi days.

Smaller universities like Temple, Rutgers, LIU, New Hampshire, Ball State, etc don't have the capacity to host, so are automatically unable to put a bid in.

The P5 conferences have the facilities, staff, volunteers, and logistics to make it happen.
It is very detailed. Like one of the criteria is the arena has to have 9 separate locker rooms or it is not eligible.

Next year it is:
Washington (Big Ten)
Utah (Big 12)
Alabama (SEC)
Penn State (Big Ten)

Chances are Washington and Penn State won't be in the top 16 next year, so that will help with host conflicts.

Yeah it worked out this year for sure.

They just need to end the geography rule. It's silly and outdated.

Does any other sport do this?

1000006051.jpg
would anyone be interested in filling out the brackets a la march Madness? I can start a separate thread.

Looking at the bracket a bit closer....UCLA getting moved from 9 to 11 because of host conflicts actually makes their path a little easier, imo. They should have been in the same regional as Oklahoma. Instead, their regional has Denver and Cal, both teams they stand a chance against (moreso if Cal falters, but we just saw them struggle at Pac 12, so.......).

For UCLA and in general, much better to have the #1 seed as the host because they’re the team you’re least likely to beat. Much more dangerous to have a team ranked below you that’s good enough to challenge you that also has the home team advantage, Arkansas and Michigan both fit that bill.

And then you have the other nightmare of a #1 seed host in Florida and essentially a second #1 seed in Utah that has qualified to every single national championship.

Agreed, Michigan State really got screwed. I think they can still beat one or both of Florida and Utah but it will be super difficult. They will need to be as good as they were at Big Tens but stronger on beam to challenge. Florida looks the most vulnerable, but they are at home as well.
Utah has never missed Nationals ever, that is super intimidating.

UCLA definitely lucked out by drawing Cal, whom they beat this past weekend and Denver, who is another strong, overlooked team. They always tend to peak at regionals.

I wouldn't like to be Alabama, though Alabama should technically have the edge except for the Michigan home advantage.

I wouldn't like to be Kentucky in Arkansas although again Kentucky should have the edge.

I wouldn't like to be Cal, Denver, or UCLA, knowing that one of you isn't advancing.

And I take it back, the Utah/Florida is the scariest if youre Utah or Florida. Or MSU or Missouri lol.

Basically, I'd just want to be Oklahoma.

I missed that NCAA fucked up and didn't follow their own tiebreaker procedures. Emily Erb (floor) and Kayla Pardue (vault) were announced as regional qualifiers. Those spots should have gone to Bailey Libby and Brooke Donabedian for floor, and Elizabeth Cesarone on vault.

NCAA then added Libby, Donabedian, and Cesarone to regionals. Erb and Paradue will still compete. It's like NCAA saw how FIG screwed up vault finals at worlds and said "hold my beer!"

I missed that NCAA fucked up and didn't follow their own tiebreaker procedures. Emily Erb (floor) and Kayla Pardue (vault) were announced as regional qualifiers. Those spots should have gone to Bailey Libby and Brooke Donabedian for floor, and Elizabeth Cesarone on vault.

NCAA then added Libby, Donabedian, and Cesarone to regionals. Erb and Paradue will still compete. It's like NCAA saw how FIG screwed up vault finals at worlds and said "hold my beer!"
Why do fans with day jobs have a better grasp of the rules than the paid officials?

Because us fans hold each other accountable. If you're spouting off with incorrect information, you will get corrected.

FIG and NCAA? They're accountable to no one.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back