2024 NCAA Regionals (NOW! 4/3/24)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

All joking aside, Oklahoma "only" went 49.425 on vault. They're below 198 pace.

The difference in scoring between regular season and post season is insane. It's not just having 4 judges. All these judges judged all season and happily threw out 9.9+ for routines with clear errors. Suddenly regionals rolls around and they say "the code is my bible!" and judge with a completely different pen.

All joking aside, Oklahoma "only" went 49.425 on vault. They're below 198 pace.

The difference in scoring between regular season and post season is insane. It's not just having 4 judges. All these judges judged all season and happily threw out 9.9+ for routines with clear errors. Suddenly regionals rolls around and they say "the code is my bible!" and judge with a completely different pen.
It’s pretty much what happens at the Olympics. The same senior judges presided over their countries insane domestic scoring

I'm just reading Spencer's live updates, but it seems OU had lots of medium sized hops and a fall in the anchor spot. Hardly seems like a different pen from conference champs, just a much hoppier rotation.

I'm just reading Spencer's live updates, but it seems OU had lots of medium sized hops and a fall in the anchor spot. Hardly seems like a different pen from conference champs, just a much hoppier rotation.
It's not just, or even mostly, OU. The scoring so far, across different regions, has been different than what we saw all season. Even accounting for nerves, which we've seen more of today than I expected, scoring is down.

Okay, this is funny:

1712277158843.png

Illinois and Ohio State are neck and neck, but I feel like Ohio State has the edge on bars.

eta: Yeah, I was right, but hey, Illinois outscored Michigan, so I'm happy.

Last edited:
Switched over to the other regional now. How the heck did they give Ballard a 9.850 on beam? She was stumbling all over the place.

What an injustice to Schoenherr, who scored 9.875 with a much better routine.

Konnor just carries herself so beautifully through every move on the beam.

NC getting eliminated in 4th place is the least surprising upset of all time.

It really highlights the inconsistencies in scoring being a HUGE issue. I don’t mind the score inflation as music as others, but only if it applies to everyone. I can’t remember the last time it had this much influence over rankings and seeding.

Just like with Ball State and Clemson, I'm enjoying some serious schadenfreude with NC State's result. Scoring at ACC dual meets and championships was indefensible.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back