2024 Super Sixteen meet (Mean Girls theme- partnership with Paramount+) January 5-6

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I'm impressed by the commentary. You can tell they're a bit inexperienced, and maybe their setup isn't great, but I'm enjoying their attention to detail.

I was curious to see how Oklahoma's looking, but let's be real, they always look the same. Probably not worth screwing up my sleep schedule.

But still, the earlier meet left me wanting more ... 👀

10 pm start is a no-go for me. Kiddo has an 8:30 am hockey game.

Catching a bit of the Penn State-Pitt-Penn-Temple quad. It's rough.

I'm happy that Illinois looked pretty good for the start of the season. They need to hit beam, though. Placing 2nd is no joke against Denver and Washington.

eta: I love Ragan Smith's Taylor Swift floor routine, even if it has a half dozen music changes.

Last edited:
It was better on Friday, I think. It seemed to get worse as the weekend progressed - maybe they were getting tired? Too comfortable? And I think the addition of the third person added to the problem more than anything.

So if we go by the scores

1. Oklahoma 197.850
  2. Alabama 197.125
  3. Denver 196.850 (3T)
  4. Minnesota 196.850 (3T)
  5. Cal 196.850 (3T)
  6. Kentucky 196.775
  7. Auburn 196.600
  8. UCLA 196.550
  9. Oregon State 196.525
  10. Michigan State 196.300
  11. Southern Utah 196.025
  12. BYU 195.900
  13. Michigan 195.875
  14. Illinois 195.825
  15. Washington 195.000
  16. San Jose State 194.950
Obviously just the first meet, but interesting to see how they stacked up against each other and compared to pre-season.

I liked Alabama too! I think they have had really great talent for the past couple of years actually, they just haven't been able to put it all together.

I'm a huge Cal fan but they were kind of meh to me. I felt like their floor choreography was missing a lot of the uniqueness they've had in the past. Maybe it's just because it's early in the season.

Historically, Alabama was more like the 90s Romanians, solid, consistent gymnastics. However, often execution and artistry was left to be desired.

However, recent years, they have elevated into more elegant gymnastics.
Now with the likes of Blanco, Hudson, Gladieux, LaCoursiere, Sears, Ladanyi the team is becoming more of that pristine execution.

I am liking how the team is slowly evolving, the coaching staff is doing a great job.

Kentucky had some really beautiful leaps on beam. High, straight legs, pointed feet and oversplits. I feel like they must have worked on that in the off season.

I am worried that UCLA had to put up Chae Campbell on beam. She had a very rocky last year on the event. And between her Meet the Bruins set and her BB here, she had three falls in two routines.

Why is Emma Andres not in the beam lineup after rocking her set at Meet the Bruins? Does she not have a 10.0 SV, or did she just not feel ready?

Also, why is Frida Esparza not in the lineup after we've heard so much about her hard work in past months?

I'm wondering what the intended end-of-season BB lineup is. Does it have Sydney Barros in it or Andres or Esparza? Is there anyone else feasible besides those three?

Oh yeah, there's Marz who could be depended on for a 9.800. And beam shouldn't be too harsh on her ankles. But she has been focusing on UB and FX in training, and mentioned doing some beam way back in the summer. If they feel they don't need Marz on beam, there has got to be a plan for someone more consistent than Campbell.

Last edited:
Barros just got to UCLA I believe, she originally deferred then changed her mind and was set to start in January.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back