2024 NCAA Nationals: Semi Finals (4/18/24) and Final Four on the Floor (4/20/24)

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Because John and Aly aren't actually good at this? (although I will admit Aly is far better than I expected her to be. But you ditched Kathy Johnson Clark for Aly? Come on, now.)
Everything about John is terrible. His voice, his turn of phrase, his suits. Aly is doing well for the level experience that she has, but to me it would have made more sense to have Sam doing the main broadcast and Aly on the stream team. I get that they wanted to make the stream team all ex NCAA stars, but why? It doesn’t actually make a difference.

But also, Aly has 0 NCAA experience. But then again neither did Amanda Borden or Shannon Miller.
KJC at least competed at Centenary (before NCAA).

Still interesting why they chose her, unless she expressed interest, and they jumped at having a 3x Olympic gold medalist on. Plus the age thing.

Maybe Aly is thinking she can use this gig as a stepping stone to something bigger.

I was impressed with Raisman, but she needs to be told that it's okay to not be speaking at every moment. You can just let us watch. But NCAA with the split screen almost begs a constant running commentary, so it was fine. She's very empathetic and does not repeat herself like the insufferable (as a commentator) Laurie Hernandez, who I'm extremely glad has moved on to other things.

Yes, I think someone told Aly that people were watching the meet to hear her talk, and not to watch the gymnastics. 🤨

If I were Sam I'd be a little peeved. She's always wanted to go into commentating, she studied communications or something at UCLA specifically for the kind of work and she's done a good job at it. I feel a little bad for her--she was Bart and Kathy's sidekick for a few years and I figured she was next in line for the big job. And then in comes Aly who does commentary as a fun hobby or something? I'd be... less than enthused for sure.

Yes, I think someone told Aly that people were watching the meet to hear her talk, and not to watch the gymnastics. 🤨

If I were Sam I'd be a little peeved. She's always wanted to go into commentating, she studied communications or something at UCLA specifically for the kind of work and she's done a good job at it. I feel a little bad for her--she was Bart and Kathy's sidekick for a few years and I figured she was next in line for the big job. And then in comes Aly who does commentary as a fun hobby or something? I'd be... less than enthused for sure.
Sam is commentating for NBC. I'm assuming she'll be the main commentator for women's gymnastics at the Olympics.

Maybe I am wrong, but I seriously doubt Laurie is going to be the main commentator.

I'm assuming Terry Gannon is going to be the network person and if so, he is usually good about keeping the broadcast flowing. Anyone but Al.

I doubt that NBC would hire Laurie for a significant role for the Olympics. She’s never commentated a major meet, and hasn’t had much experience since last summer.

I secretly would love to do Olympic gymnastics commentary. But Tim Daggett has always done a great job, so there's no room for me. :p

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back