2024 Week 10: 3/4/24-3/10/24

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Ahhh the pseudo Away meet in Baton Rouge, nothing like going on the road to get that tough away score......

Reactions: One
NCAA really needs to re-think these "away" meets. It's ridiculous.

Then again, there's a lot they need to re-think. At this point, I view NCAA as deeply unserious. Sure, I'll watch on a Friday night if there's nothing else on, but it practically performance art at this point.

UCLA did it yet again. They rested Selena Harris during their last away meet before Pac-12s and scored 196.325. They fell to 11th place in the rankings.

With UCLA resting their stars at away meets only to put them in at home meets when they desperately need good away scores, I was wondering what was going on but figured there had to be a reason for this. Now I am not so sure there is a good reason. It looks like poor planning on the coaching staff's part.

Without reallocating teams based on who the Regionals Hosts are, and going purely off of ranking, at this point UCLA would be in the Cal Regional going up against Cal, Kentucky, and Auburn. Which means UCLA would likely have to beat either #6 Kentucky or #3 Cal (plus Auburn) to make it to NCAAs, a very tall order.
I really need to know their thinking behind this. They should have rested Selena much earlier in the season at a home meet, she already looked exhausted 2 weeks ago.

Nya has only landed one clean vault this season and Chae’s vault has been regressing. Landings are still not there on bars and floor/beam is becoming quite inconsistent.

At the end of the day, this team is massively underperforming to their potential, even with major stars out (they did add Rosen to their roster this year, however). It’s not a popular view, but it’s time to stop making excuses for the coaching staff.

UCLA did it yet again. They rested Selena Harris during their last away meet before Pac-12s and scored 196.325. They fell to 11th place in the rankings.

With UCLA resting their stars at away meets only to put them in at home meets when they desperately need good away scores, I was wondering what was going on but figured there had to be a reason for this. Now I am not so sure there is a good reason. It looks like poor planning on the coaching staff's part.

Without reallocating teams based on who the Regionals Hosts are, and going purely off of ranking, at this point UCLA would be in the Cal Regional going up against Cal, Kentucky, and Auburn. Which means UCLA would likely have to beat either #6 Kentucky or #3 Cal (plus Auburn) to make it to NCAAs, a very tall order.
That would be a great regional for them to get. Better to be at one where the highest seeded team is hosting than the 2nd seeded team. They've competed at the venue a lot and the travel is much smaller. Plus a team like Kentucky is gettable on the road.

I don't know, this is Kentucky's best team as long as I can remember. Any team can falter, but Kentucky seems much better than UCLA based on what I have watched.

Oh Kentucky is WAY better of a team than UCLA. They are consistent and Worley has been getting 10s a lot lately. Delaynee Rodriguez sets them up nicely on all four, then they have depth on al 4 events.

I want to see Florida, Kentucky, and LSU all go head to head. Anyone can win. Honestly Alabama has also come on strong but losing Doggette was a huge blow.

Honestly, there are no "good" regionals to be at, even the 4th seeds are dangerous.

I don't know, this is Kentucky's best team as long as I can remember. Any team can falter, but Kentucky seems much better than UCLA based on what I have watched.
Kentucky is a good team but they have been a mid-197 team away. While they are clearly a better team than UCLA, a mid 197 is beatable and leaves little room for mid-routines from Kentucky if UCLA is hitting. Cal is also a familiar environment they are use to competing at while it's not a venue Kentucky would have much experience in.

I'd much rather be in that match-up than travel to Michigan and compete against a home 2nd seed. Or go to Florida with the overall 4th and 5th ranked teams where the chance of upset is much lower.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back