2020 Women's Artistic All Around Final (Thursday, July 29, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

In the 1990s the average American absolutely knew who Mary Lou was as well as Kim Zmeskal and Shannon Miller.

It did help that Miller became a house hold name due to her 5 medals in Barcelona. But people were well aware that Shannon had been back to back World Champion in the AA.

Back in 2012 the Amanar was overly valued compared to the other Yurchenko vaults 6.5 vs DTY 5.8 so the .7 was definitely worth going for it.
Now that it is 5.8 and the DTY 5.4 the .4 differential isn’t really worth the risk as it is nearly half the advantage it used to be, and considering that an Amanar is almost certainly going to have a step forward, the .4 advantage is really just .3 or .1 if you take a large step forward.

No, her and the other US world AA champs are 2nd tier to err, Kim Zmeskal

So did I, I think she added the DTY quite late on in the season although she’d done it a couple of times as a junior. It was a very poor DTY for someone who clearly had a lot of tumbling ability

Carly did the DTY at SCAM but by nationals she was back to the 1.5Y. Must have been a skill right on the edge of her ability.

Carly had at least one broken elbow as a senior. I think she was secretly competing on one in Anaheim? Might not be remembering that quite right, but I’ve always assumed that was why her vault wasn’t as good as it seemed like it ought to have been.

She was having trouble with the DTY around Anaheim 2003. There was something on the boards.

I think she reinjured her elbow when she fell on her beam dismount in prelims. She skipped US Classic and Nationals so it could heal in time for Worlds.

Last edited:
Wow, just finished watching. Thrilled for Suni, but Andrade gave it away. Does she have a shot at vault gold? I’d like her to leave with a gold if possible.

Melnikova has been my favorite Russian for awhile. I’m glad she could hold off Urazova.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back