2020 Event Finals Day 1 MAG FX/PH WAG VT/UB (Sunday, August 1, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I did not make it out like it was wrong for people to consider her lucky to be there.

People feeling that she was lucky to be in the vault final turned into her not being allowed to feel anything but grateful no matter the outcome.

Therefore, I think it’s irrelevant as a justification to demand that an athlete only feel the emotions that others have decided she deserves to feel.

ETA: Since you’re just going to ignore everything else and ask me again:
I’m asking you - you don’t think she was lucky to be in VT finals?
I generally would call it unlucky that the 4th place finisher from qualifications wasn’t able to compete in finals to begin with. It could be said that Melnikova is lucky to be here, as she qualified in 9th. In the end they’re all lucky to be here, as the entire Olympics should have been canceled with the pandemic.

Last edited:
True i am by no means a Skinner van but she looked dissapointed she did not have a chance for gold but got over it and looked contant with silver

I think she was disappointed for a few seconds. It was a close score and Rebeca had some landing deductions. I didnt see anything offensive and I honestly have no emotional ties to any of these girls. It was an off-quad for me.

It got worse as it went along. 7/8 of WAG vault was fine or better, it was just Carey being so unfortunate that put a bit of a dampener on it. Whereas bars was an active shitshow. Similarly I think PH was a bit more splatty than floor. One does have to wonder if the delay was a contributing factor.

ALSO I decided I couldn’t do a 4AM wakeup today and decided to watch a replay. I turned off all notifications on my phone to avoid spoilers, but NBCOlympics had the UB and PH winners right there. I really think they should have a “no spoilers” setting for their own freaking page.

Then I tried to skip past a judging delay on floor and clicked on the timeline bar instead of the 15 second fast forward and landed on MyKayla with a silver medal.

I’m going to admit that despite my previously stated feelings on Derwael, I’m really pleased for her; winning this many consecutive titles takes a level of persistence and consistency that just cannot be denied. Especially today - while seeing Suni come in at .9 below her best was probably a bit of a nerve-reducer, she was subject to the same conditions that made this a shaky final for everyone, including competing in TF and AA.

Omg same. I was so annoyed when I tried to watch from the beginning but I got REBECA WINS GOLD on the floor page :man_facepalming:t2:

What her husband says or thinks on social media has nothing to do with her. Tbh, I’d damn well hope that her husband thinks she’s the greatest at everything!

Any athlete who ends up with silver is going to be a little disappointed and think what if I’d done just a little bit better. That doesn’t mean they think they should have won gold! I don’t like Skinner or her gymnastics, but her silver was deserved today and adds to the story that is the US team at these Olympics

In a few words: All four finals were a letdown.

3 of the 4 podiums seemed correct, but we have no Biles in vault final, a wonderful gymnast as vault champion but on a day she biffed both vaults, a floor final where nobody hit everything, and a bars final that was like the hunger games and where the bronze medal winner scored less than all of the top 10 qualifiers.

And then you have the pommel horse gold and silver, which were completely bullshit, and I am going to talk about that more when video comes out.

Last edited:
What her husband says or thinks on social media has nothing to do with her
It clearly does. His opinions regarding gymnastics are completely from Skinner herself.

She clearly says all this shit to him in private but then says the more PC stuff on her socials.

And you know this how? These been several occasions now where Mykayla’s social media responses have been very different from those of her husband

Someone should tell Jonas he can give up the crypto trading, as he and Mykayla already live rent free in Doug’s head!

Last edited:
Reactions: L_R
I slept through my alarm, woke up 630, and promptly fell asleep again before Suni went lol. Sounds like it was about on par with the competition. After reading about it, I’m not even sure I need to watch it

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back