2020 Event Finals Day 1 MAG FX/PH WAG VT/UB (Sunday, August 1, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What a mess of EF. Gutted for Fan and Ellie. Lee has her AA medal so I wish someone else had managed bronze. Well done Nina, massive for Belgium.

What was Becky’s score for her easy routine at trials? 14.5?

Lets not lose sight of the fact that it is a triumph just that these athletes made it to Tokyo.

A year of postponement, dealing with the impact of covid.

Yea, on many levels this entire Games stink. But on many levels they shine.

They took 3 hours and 30 minutes for roughly a half hour of actual gymnastics…
I do like the diversity of the podiums though.
But with that going to take my jet-lagged, sleep-schedule reversed self to bed.

Gabby also wasn’t much of an EF gymnast in 2012. The top tier on bars were all in a different league to her, and while she did beat the bronze medal score on both beam and floor at various points in the championship, that’s true of a lot of gymnasts. Even in a best case scenario for her, she could’ve made three EFs, hit them all well and won nothing.

Well that bar final won’t be one for the ages, but one positive: in the four finals we’ve seen so far, the gold medals have gone to four different countries, which is pretty cool.

Now I’m going to go try to think of non-gymnastics things for the rest of the day.

Israel, Belgium, Brazil?
Awesome!
Did South Korea or Taipei have a medal at all before today? Loads of history being made here.

Well that bar final won’t be one for the ages, but one positive: in the four finals we’ve seen so far, the gold medals have gone to four different countries, which is pretty cool.
I think it has also been a really long time since (at least) three of the six gold medals went to non-USA countries

2008, but even then the others mostly went to power countries. The US got two of the five individual golds, China one and Romania one. North Korea were the only non top 3 team to manage a gold.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back