2020 Event Finals Day 1 MAG FX/PH WAG VT/UB (Sunday, August 1, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

There is no possibility that Becky would hit bars in quals, team final and event final. I love Becky, and even without her own tragic circumstances the selection process was a mess.

But.

She and Max were both advised that they would need to contribute on 3 events. Max took that advice, Becky did not

If I hear one fucking PEEP from Skinner about how “I wish it could have been gold” then I will fucking scream.

She’s lucky that Simone gave up her spot. Skinner didn’t “deserve” anything. She got a (deserved) silver medal. And she lost to a gymnast with absolutely superior technique, dynamics and amplitude.

I swear, I can feel it coming.

Last edited:
If I hear one fucking PEEP from Skinner about how “I wish it could have been gold” then I will fucking scream.

She’s lucky that Simone gave up her spot. Skinner didn’t “deserve” anything. She got a (deserved) silver medal. And she lost to a gymnast with absolutely superior technique, dynamics and amplitude.

I swear, I can feel it coming.
omg

229696761_10158342681806985_4816139341688894515_n

I am far from a MyKayla fan, but she came through when it counted and earned her silver medal. And she looks perfectly happy with it.

Upthread people were talking about her not smiling for the 3 seconds she was shown on camera putting her mask on after everyone was done vaulting. A bunch of projecting ensued where people assumed she was not happy with silver.

She was then shown happy, smiling, and waving on the podium.

Ironically MaryClare was crucified in the AA thread for mentioning once that it was anticlimatic that Suni didn’t appear happier after winning gold. Today Skinner isn’t gleeful when putting on a face mask and gathering her things, it’s assumed that she’s pissed and a pile on ensues about how she should be lucky to be here.

Last edited:
Ok fair enough, I stand corrected! I haven’t actually watched it yet!

Let’s wait to hear her comments in her YouTube video.

But to be fair, she has history on this. Watch her YouTube video after prelims. She said she spent hours on the phone crying with her husband the night after prelims. And then look at what her husband said on his IG story after TF.

It’s not unreasonable to say what I said.

This is as much my fault as anyone’s since I made several posts on the topic upthread, so I’m culpable, but I will not miss discussing Mykayla Skinner’s reactions and expressions in competition now she’s retired. Feels like we’ve spent far too much time on the topic already.

I think it’s irrelevant as a justification to demand that an athlete only feel the emotions that others have decided she deserves to feel
What?

It was a simple question.

You made out that it was wrong for people to consider her lucky.

I’m asking you - you don’t think she was lucky to be in VT finals?

Last edited:
I think everyone is a little too eager to jump on Mykayla no matter what she is feeling (disappointment that she lost it by that much, happiness with her medal, gratefulness that she was even in the final, sadness for Jade, etc) and interpret it in a way that fits their narrative of her. Honestly, it was a good thing she had her mask on most of the time so we could only see her eyes. I can’t imagine what stories people would create if we could see her grimace every time she passed gas or whatever. I am not a fan but I didn’t see anything I would interpret as disappointment in her medal just like I didn’t see anything yesterday that would indicate Suni was anything but thrilled with her medal. A person can’t be hopping around, screaming in joy all the time – the other athletes would get pretty pissed about that.

I think Yeo deserves the bronze for going for it with her first vault but I had been hoping it was finally Moreno’s chance.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back