US Nationals WAG Day 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

At the same time, the difference between all of these permutations of the highest team is so negligible that it might make sense to take a more balanced AA athlete.

I am so exhausted after 9 years of trying to explain ways to keep Skinner off of major teams.

Do we know if McCallum has even been training the Cheng at all since her surgery though or was that a thing from before the injury. I can’t remember the Cheng timeline.

I have no idea. I keep holding onto that ONE video we ever saw of it, on the basis that it keeps Skinner from being on the team!!

Heath Thorpe is reporting on twitter that Morgan’s petition was rejected but Tom Forster says petition process is not complete 🤔

Tom just said at the press conference that Jade will most likely be competing as an individual. Oh the irony is if that is what gets Skinner on to the main team…

Tom says that if Jade makes the top 2, she’ll have to make the choice herself about whether she takes the spot - but he anticipates she’ll be going as an individual.

I mean they took Nastia to trials for nostalgia, Morgan is a former world champion too, why not? Clearly she isn’t going to be healed enough to have the needed reps to make it, but give her the chance to make a better ending.

In the past, they haven’t been keen on letting people advance if they don’t meet criteria…just ask Chellsie Memmel.

Morgan isn’t in contention for the Olympic Team, but it would be the nice and respectful thing to do. She has done a lot for USAG this quad and thus I think she deserves the spot.

She just did worse on both events than she did at Classics. She’s not improving with more time. Sure they could be nice to Morgan and let her go to Trials, but is that nice to all the gymnasts who just beat her scores on BB/FX who don’t get to go? Is it fair to all the athletes in the competition for there to be an extra hidden criteria of “if you have a reputation, you get to go no matter how low you score?”

Who’s telling Aleah Finnegan hey you scored higher than Morgan on BB/FX both days of the competition (and at Classics) but because she was on the Worlds team 3 years ago and you weren’t, she gets to go to Trials and you just go home and just watch your teammates train for it.

For all we know her petition will ultimately be accepted on the basis of her recent injury/surgery, and if that’s what was in the pre-agreed upon rules then so be it. But you can’t be athlete-first and transparent if there’s one set of rules for some gymnasts and another set of rules for the “big names.”

Last edited:
I’m finally home from work and have no clue what the results are and am about to judge night 2. I missed some routines on night 1–Morgan’s beam :eek: among others

Unless she comes top two at Trials, Jade taking the individual route truly screwed her out of being on the Olympic team. As it looks right now what they need is a strong vault and, potentially, a backup floor, with her full difficulty the only reason NOT to take Jade is her already having an individual spot.

She couldn’t possibly have known at the time, but it’s a pretty sad irony.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back