US Nationals WAG Day 1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Morgan’s beam was painful to watch. Fell on the full. Then again in the aerial LOSO. Wobbles on every leap. Then hands down on the dismount.

I also got 5.1E.

You can tell she was like “fuck this shit” as the walked off.

No - Morgan no. 😭😭😭💔💔💔 Damn pandemic and chronic elbow issues!

Bittersweet night. I’m so sad about Morgan and Laurie, but it’s awesome to see others rise to the occasion! I’m so rooting for Sunisa to be back to full strength by Trials, but especially at the Olympics! I’m hoping Riley gets back to form too - I’ll always be for beautiful lines, artistry and toe point - which is why I’m already grieving at the loss of Morgan for the Olympic team! I hope Grace makes it too! I secretly hoped Konnor might make it, but it was clear early on that she wasn’t ready for these Olympics.

Sunisa Lee, Uneven Bars

1 x G (layout toe-on Tkatchev / Nabieva)
3 x E (Bhardwaj, piked Jaeger, van Leeuwen)
4 x D (Maloney, Gienger, Pak salto, full twisting double tuck dismount)

Total DV - 3.8

CV:

Nabieva + Bhardwaj + Maloney + Gienger (E + D or higher, both with flight x 2, and D flight from low bar to high bar + C or higher with turn or flight on high bar) - 0.6

piked Jaeger + Pak salto + van Leeuwen (E + D or higher, both with flight x 2) - 0.4

Total CV - 1.0

CR

Flight from high bar to low bar - Bhardwaj
Flight element on same bar - Nabieva
Different Grips - Maloney, piked Jaeger
Non-flight with 360 degree turn - giant full

Total D - 3.8 + 1.0 + 2.0 = 6.8

Deductions

cast to handstand with legs straddled
  • (body posture / pike in hips) 0.1
Nabieva
  • (leg separation) 0.1
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
Maloney
  • (first leg separation) 0.1
  • (second leg separation on back swing) 0.1
Gienger
  • (insufficient height, hips below bar height upon regrasp) 0.3
  • (body posture / pike in hips) 0.1
giant to blind change
  • (angle of completion → between 11 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1
Pak salto
  • (angle of completion → between 31 and 45 degrees of handstand) 0.1
  • (grip adjustment) 0.1
giant full
  • (angle of completion → between 11 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1 (borderline 0.1 - 0.3 in real time)
full twisting double tuck
  • (leg separation) 0.1
  • (balance adjustment on landing) 0.1
Total Deductions - (1.5 - 1.7) 8.3 - 8.5

Vault standings btw, since the live scores were like NAH on second vaults.
  1. Biles - 15.55
    VT1 - 6.0, 9.8 - 15.8
    VT2 - 5.8, 9.5 - 15.3
  2. Skinner - 14.975
    VT1 - 6.0, 8.9 - 14.9
    VT2 - 5.8, 9.25 - 15.05
  3. Chiles - 14.6
    VT1 - 5.4, 9.55 - 14.95
    VT2 - 4.8, 9.45 - 14.25
  4. Carey - 14.45
    VT1 - 5.4, 9.3 - 14.7
    VT2 - 5.2, 9.0 - 14.2

Some delicious screenshots from Eakers 3.5 punch front, and whip triple.

I’m hoping USAG downgraded that to 2.5 and gave no credit for the 2.5 repeat.

You could see Fong cursing to himself on the sidelines before the DMT. Which she almost knocked her front teeth out on.

They’ve removed the switch ring but not the switch ring 1/2. #FongLogic

ETA: They gave her 5.2…

F2, D0 (downgrade to 2.5), D, D, XB (2.5 repeat no credit), BC, D = 5.1

Any ideas?

They obviously downgraded the triple. Giving it back to her means she gets way more than a 5.2. Where’s the extra tenth?

She’s going for a 5.8. This is a mess. Does Fong never learn.

Last edited:
That was… a mess. But I think Chiles has cemented herself as an Olympian at this point. Her save on her BB flight series tells me everything I need to know where her head is.

As for the rest, it’s a mess. Suni if she can stay healthy is going and tonight was very encouraging as her skills that we would previously have thought a death wish looked manageable tonight. That 4th spot is crazy wide open. Wong made the best case tonight, but DiCello, McCallum and a number of others are still in the running. If Chellsie wants to put a FX together she could even begin the conversation. There is so much up in the air and it really hasn’t felt like this since 2008! And even then, it was just who was the most prepared to vault a DTY, there’s so much more at stake this time.

F2, D0 (downgrade to 2.5), D, D, XB (2.5 repeat no credit), BC, D = 5.1

Any ideas?

They obviously downgraded the triple. Giving it back to her means she gets way more than a 5.2. Where’s the extra tenth?
It looks like you’re missing 0.1 in CV for the whip + 2 1/2 twist.

Last edited:
Konnor is now at-of all places-WOGA.

I wonder if Jade is is working hard at AA in case of injury and they need her for that. Aren’t the plus-1s alternates?

They downgraded Simone’s gogean. Good! I was worried they wouldn’t.

She made up for it with the triple wolf. I haven’t seen her do that on floor before. Huge overturn though so she lost the tenth anyway.

I also think it should have been 0.7 ND right? 3 + 3 + 1?

If so, we had her in 3rd on floor with a 13.9…

Last edited:
Yes, the original ND was 0.3! Then raised to 0.5, but footage clearly indicates one foot on the second pass, and both feet on the third and fourth. 1 + 3 + 3 = 7, so this was even a greater gift than Szabo’s 10 for an OOB at 1983 Worlds.

What is it with wolf turns? Seems like most of the gymnastics fandom circles I hang in really hate them. Do people find them ugly or is it just the potential for carnage (which I actually like in a way. Not like in NASCAR where fans actually are disappointed at not seeing accidents, but I like that certain gymnastics elements are pretty tough to do in and of themselves).

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back