US Nationals 2022 Senior Women Day 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yikes! I’m a big BTL comment reader but reading this I’m very thankful that my communities have decent moderators.

Last edited:
So it sounds like she’s Shawn Johnson 2.0 without the good form. Tiny powerhouse being completely reliant on her short stature and natural power instead of technique.

Shawn had poor technique but she was at least able to do most of her skills with acceptable form

Today required drinks afterwards. Second day of classes and a new Full Time faculty member resigned…fun times. @doug1233 Here are the youtube vids. I’d love a E and D breakdown if you get bored and have time (or anyone else!)
:vt:
FTY - 4.2

Pre-Flight: 1 (leg separation), 1 (shoulder angle), 1 (turn too early)
Flight: 1 (height) 3 (distance) 3 (pike too early)
Post-Flight: 1 (small step)

D Score 4.2 (USAG 4.2)
E Score 8.9 (USAG 8.95)
Total Score 13.1 (USAG 13.15)

:ub:

Stalder 1/1 - Stalder - Toe Shap - Pak - Stalder - Toe Shap 1/2 0.1
Toe 1/2 - Straddle Jaeger
KCTHS 1/2
Giant Giant Full In
DCDDE CD D 0.1 CV + 0.2 DMT

D Score: 5.4 (USAG 5.4)

E Score:
Stalder 1/1 (1 leg sep, 3 late)
Stalder (1 bent arms)
Toe Shap (1 leg separation, 1 body alignment)
Pak (1 leg separation)
Stalder (1 bent arms)
Toe Shap 1/2 (3 leg separation, 1 amplitude)
Toe 1/2 (1 leg separation)
Jaeger (1 bent knees in tap, 1 amplitude)
KCTHS 1/2 (1 late, 5 bent knees, 1 rhythm, 1 adjustment on the bar)
Full In (1 leg separation, 1 body posture on landing, 1 small step)

The leg separations in the Shap and Pak I’m only giving 1s, as although they’re clear 3s, it wouldn’t be apparent from the side. Except for the Shap 1/2, which is turning, and so would be visible.

E Score: 7.3 (USAG 7.75)

Total: 12.7 (USAG 13.15)

🇧🇧
LOSO Mount (1 bent knee, 1 small wobble)
(1 excessive prep)
Double Wolf (1 body shape, 1 small wobble)
(1 pause)
Aerial Cartwheel LOSO (1 knees, 1 small wobble - close to a 3 but not quite) 0.2
Switch (1 body shape - not quite 180) to Split (1 body shape - same)
Front Aerial (3 very bent knee) Split Jump (1 rhythm, but would give the connection) 0.1
RO Back 3/2 (1 amplitude, 1 legs, 1 body posture, 1 step)

Execution: 1.8

Artistry: Gorgeous lines. No deductions for lack of extension or foot work. Hits the side choreo fine. Nice speed, but trick-pose-trick. Simple choreography, and relies on her gorgeous toepoint, but didn’t really use the whole body. 0.2 (disconnected elements, insufficient involvement of body parts)

Acro: EDCDC 1.9
Dance: DCB 0.9
CV: 0.3
CR: 2.0
DMT: 0.0

D Score: 5.1 (USAG 5.1)
E Score: 8.0 (USAG 8.00)
Total Score: 13.1 (USAG 13.1)

:fx:
Double Wolf (1 body shape, 1 precision)
Split Jump 1/1 (1 body shape)
(1 pause)
Full In Tuck (1 leg separation, 3 body posture, 1 step)
Back 3/2 (1 leg separation) Front 1/1 (1 leg separation, 1 amplitude, 3 body posture, 3 step) 0.1
Switch Leap (3 body shape no arch, leg below shoulder height + downgrade) - Switch 1/2 (1 body shape - knee)
(1 pause)
Double Tuck (1 legs, 1 hop)

Execution: 2.5 (I was close to a 3 on the step on the full in, and a close to a 5 on the switch ring body shape).

Artistry - Again, extension and feet throughout is lovely. I thought it was expressive. Again, a bit trick - pose-trick-pose for me. Corner work was not good. And didn’t quite hit the complexity tenth for me (although the illusion to the floor almost got her there). So 0.3 (Insufficient complexity, disconnected elements and poor corner choreography).

Acro: ECCD: 1.5
Dance: DCBC: 1.2
CV: 0.1
CR: 2.0
DMT: 0.2

D Score 5.0 (USAG 4.9 - perhaps they didn’t give the Split Jump 1/1? It was borderline).
E Score 7.2 (USAG 7.4)
ND (OOB): 0.1
Total Score 11.9 (USAG 12.2)

Total AA: 50.8 (USAG 51.6)

Last edited:
Thank you!!! I suspect she will be a beautiful NCAA gymnast once she gets there but seems to lack the difficulty to make up for some form issues that she hasn’t shaken. Solid in both but not great in either score…Maybe she will like it in MN and be a Golden Gopher and the next coming of Rambler;)

Asia D’Amato is out for Worlds. Ankle surgery.

Edit to add: she’s already had her surgery. She’s in what looks to be a hard cast.

Attachments

• 61CC1E28-8D13-4F91-8AC3-38F5655C82CB.jpg
    61CC1E28-8D13-4F91-8AC3-38F5655C82CB.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Should there be a grip adjustment deduction at 0:5 and 0:20 seconds? I feel like I’ve seen similar hand movements deducted in the past on e-score breakdowns here.

Usually I’m a tenth or two higher than you because you frequently take the higher deduction in a judgement call, but here I’m actually at 4.6 before artistry. I could see a legitimate case for a 4.0 after artistry even. I will give her credit that I took nothing on the full turn though.

I know she’s a very muscular body type, and strength and flexibility often fight each other, but her coaches need to have her working on the stretch and extension. The video when she was 10 often had better extension than she has now. She shouldn’t be losing .2 per skill to leg/foot form, it’s tragic that they haven’t taken this seriously with her. She has so much talent but even in a hit routine she nickels and dimes herself out of contention. Then throw in falls and large mistakes and it’s really too bad.

Last edited:
Yeah, it’s a .1 deduction in the code. I don’t like to see hands adjusting so much. Gymnasts in the 80s were not hobbling along their handstands, but the bars are bouncier now and grips can be…grippy. It is probably safer to check the handstand and take the .1 in some cases, like Nabieva + Bhardwaj

@Mutual.Respect Thank you for your post. It’s inappropriate to say children are “worse” or that they wish they were half as talented as someone else. We can respectfully critique gymnastics but need not tear down one’s self-esteem.

Should there be a grip adjustment deduction at 0:5 and 0:20 seconds? I feel like I’ve seen similar hand movements deducted in the past on e-score breakdowns here
I give less of a fuck about tiny hand adjustments. But I know technically it’s a deduction.

Usually I’m a tenth or two higher than you because you frequently take the higher deduction in a judgement call, but here I’m actually at 4.6 before artistry.
Totally justified. Once you get into the 6s and 5s on E Score, the allowable range the E judges can be is like 6 or 7 tenths.

Yeah, I’ll admit I don’t want to see them shuffling around on the bar but I don’t mind a few grip adjustments. It is too bad they can’t get 2 or 3 freebies (or grip adjustment allowed prior to a skill worth at least x value) because I want them to be safe and fully prepared for the skill but it is also worth rewarding those who don’t readjust at all. Tough call for the fan in me.

I actually really don’t mind adjustments on the bar as long as they’re not like Italian style zoomies from one side to the other.

It is absolutely not worth a whole tenth deduction, given that you can splay your legs out like a starfish on a Pak and you’ll still only get 0.1

Grip adjustment should just be .05 deduction unless it’s something more clunky or showing loss of control. Too bad it’s such difficult concept for FIG to understand, having deductions and skill values in 0.05 intervals. It’s actually mindblowing there isn’t even .1 intervals right now, like we have to choose between .1 and .3 for errors? That easily can be the entire difference of someone winning an event final or being off the podium altogether.

And I don’t think it should be a deduction at all to swing forward and hop grip change. That, and uprises, should still be considered skills of their own…because they are. These kinds of things being destroyed by the code has created a more boring landscape. Mckayla Maroney swinging forward after her shaposh into reverse grip and doing an uprise Weiler was impressive for example (doing a Weiler not starting from handstand is much harder). And why must everything be a kip to get back to handstand? Swinging backward after a release and uprising to handstand is harder for the majority of people.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back