US Nationals 2022 Senior Women Day 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Has anyone an idea of what China looks like?
Their National Championship was originally going to be held in May but had to be postponed due to Covid. Now it’s supposed to be the beginning of September.

Elite qualification chart says 8 for juniors. Possible things were amended but the chart never got updated.
I also thought it was 8 juniors and assumed Sumanasekera was off the National Team unless added later on, since she finished 9th. However, it was linked on Twitter that the junior team would be the top 9 all around from the meet and an option to add others at the next camp.

I’d love to know someone’s E score breakdown of this routine. I feel like I understand the technical elements of the code outside of artistry. I had this at around 7.9 before artistry deductions. It looks like this got a 7.45.

I have 2.5 in execution, and 0.4 in artistry, so a 7.1 E for me.

I took 5 on the wolf (1 precision, 1 body shape, 3 balance), although I almost took 3 for body shape, and 6 for the landing of the “Jones” (3 squat 3 large step). The rest are just obvious 1s although I took 3 for body shape on the split full.

Last edited:
I just don’t think people understand the code of points. One or two skills can hemorrhage one’s E score, and the average fan might be thinking it’s a .1 kind of mistake when it’s closer to half a point in deductions.

I’m grateful Shilese and her team seem to have gotten the code figured out. She’s done so many different elements on every event over the years that just ate up her E score. It’s great they have finally figured out removing difficulty can be a major reward because of the huge bump in E score due to adequately performing the simpler elements.

SN: have we seen training clips of Shilese’s Amanar? Her YDF is gorgeous, but I have trouble seeing her be able to add the additional half twist due to how late she twists in the air.

They probably saw the big impressive skills and didn’t understand how they were supposed to be done, yeah. Roberson can have flashy gymnastics when she’s on, even if it’s messy. I really wish they’d make some changes in training focus, or that she would find coaching who would.

Yeah, people were so upset with her E score on beam the night she hit. I’m sure they would be shocked at the deductions she got for simple jumps like that pike jump, let alone more complex elements like the tour jeté half! Forget about all of the deductions for flexed feet and soft knees on every single element. I wonder if fans don’t see these things because of her build. I feel like these issues would stick out as flaws much more on a Nastia-like body type.

I’m more shocked her coaches are having her compete some of these skills, though. I feel like having your athlete compete a pike jump in this code is…a choice.

I don’t really mind the pike jump, plenty of gymnasts compete a wolf jump and the pike fits her body type. I do mind the odd series it is in that 's doing her no favors.

I’m more shocked her coaches are having her compete some of these skills, though. I feel like having your athlete compete a pike jump in this code is…a choice.
Some serious “first elite athlete and we haven’t the first damn clue what we’re doing!” vibes.

I think people just LOVE big skills, even if they’re chucked and fug. And your typical fan doesn’t understand how the code works at all. However, the people that ARE knowledgeable yet continue to proclaim Roberson as the next big thing/robbed of a national team spot/having so much potential should all be taken out back and beaten. They’re part of the problem.

Re China, I saw on reddit that the athletes had to quarantine recently after an international competition, due to covid rules. Not sure if they have anything else planned between now and worlds but if they do, the potential for disruption might also need to be factored in, in a way that it doesn’t for gymnasts from countries without restrictions. If they aren’t doing any more competitions before Liverpool, as you were.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back