2026 Commonwealth Games- Glasgow, Scotland are the new host.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I still think the CWG is meaningful for the gymnasts. It might not contain the 'top' nations but it's such a great opportunity these nations to gain exposure in their respective countries, compete in finals and compete under high pressure situations.

It's also the only large competition we get to see the UK countries compete separately. I really enjoy seeing the full Welsh and Scottish teams with gymnasts we dont usually see.
It's hugely meaningful to many if not most of the gymnasts, they make that clear. The same isn't necessarily true in other sports, is the thing.

It's hugely meaningful to many if not most of the gymnasts, they make that clear. The same isn't necessarily true in other sports, is the thing.
For netball, it is their Olympics. Not just because they aren’t Olympic sport, but all the top nations are there

For netball, it is their Olympics. Not just because they aren’t Olympic sport, but all the top nations are there
I don’t think any other country save those in the commonwealth play, do they?
I always enjoy the netball World Cup, when I remember to check if it’s on!

I can't think of many sports where it's wouldn't be considered meaningful and a big comp for those selected.

From an Aussie perspective, probably cricket is the only one. Maybe swimming for the top athletes but it's a huge chance for the 'depth' who would just miss out on selection at the other larger meets.

Wow. If 2026 is cancelled, will that be the end of CWG forever?

I can't think of many sports where it's wouldn't be considered meaningful and a big comp for those selected.

From an Aussie perspective, probably cricket is the only one. Maybe swimming for the top athletes but it's a huge chance for the 'depth' who would just miss out on selection at the other larger meets.
There've been some issues getting the biggest Commonwealth names in athletics to consistently turn up. It might be different if Australia were as strong there as they are in some other CWG sports maybe.

I've never been to Scotland (been to England and Wales). Does Glasgow go hard for sports? Cardiff certainly does.

I've never been to Scotland (been to England and Wales). Does Glasgow go hard for sports? Cardiff certainly does.
I lived there for a while, it has a really weird local government that loves grand projects and big events. It is one of the unhealthiest cities in the developed world

Maybe the solution moving forward is to have several hosts of certain events.

The next Men's FIFA world cup is being shared by Mexico, USA, and Canada.

Maybe the solution moving forward is to have several hosts of certain events.

The next Men's FIFA world cup is being shared by Mexico, USA, and Canada.
They already tried a multi city approach. I suppose the step is to have host countries instead of host cities.

I was at Worlds in 2015 and Europeans in 2018(?) in Glasgow -- I think they do a great job putting on sporting events. (Euros was a multi-sport championship with events happening in Glasgow and Edinburgh; I wonder if they'll do the same for CWG)

I was at those events plus 2014 CWG and all were excellent. At the very least diving was in Edinburgh for 2014 because Glasgow doesn’t have a diving pool

I was at those events plus 2014 CWG and all were excellent. At the very least diving was in Edinburgh for 2014 because Glasgow doesn’t have a diving pool
Lol. Do you want to hear a long story about this.
My mother was a student in Glasgow in the 80s and was quite a good diver. She wanted to continue diving, but unfortunately the only diving facility had been condemned because the platforms had less than a 2m clearance to the far edge of the pool, meaning that it would be very very easy to “overshoot the runway” and die!

They were still there, the stairs blocked off, in around 2006.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back