BRICS Games (June 13-15 Kazan, Russia)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Participation is Mandatory.

Yikes
Well basically they want the sports federations to take it seriously and send the best athletes, even though in several sports, the participants might not be the highest calibre. Most elite athletes in Russia are salaried by the ministry of sports, so it’s effectively their job to turn up and compete. If they don’t, they will lose their salary

Will it be on YouTube for those outside or Russia?
I am not sure. Probably not YouTube, but maybe on VK.

It is being broadcast live here on the Russian sports network MatchTV, with a repeated broadcast most evenings. This is the same network that Russian championship, Russia cup is shown, and those broadcasts are normally uploaded onto YouTube by Russian gym fans within hours. So I imagine it will be the same again.

I'd like to see some of it. Regardless of the political ins and out from a sporting point of view I miss the Russian sports men and women in world competition. It's not the same without them and competitions are poorer for having any major countries missing.
The BRICS Games are not a new thing, but this the first time it has been such a large, multi sport event.

Of particular significance is the selection of Rhythmic Gymnast Karolina Tarasova. On her athlete profile, her hometown is listed as Donetsk, Russia. Donetsk is also the hometown of Lilia Podkopayeva.

Interesting that it's listed as Russia. Tarasova is old enough that Donetsk was decidedly Ukrainian when she was born. (Unless she was born in the mush smaller Donetsk, Russia, on the border with Ukraine?)

Interesting that it's listed as Russia. Tarasova is old enough that Donetsk was decidedly Ukrainian when she was born. (Unless she was born in the mush smaller Donetsk, Russia, on the border with Ukraine?)
No, it’s Donetsk in DNR. This is a very deliberate change of policy. It’s the same with the weather reports on television. We never used to get the weather for Donetsk and Lugansk and now we do.

Reactions: L_R
Can't say I'm surprised by the change of policy. Was ever so slightly trying to give the benefit of the doubt. Wholesale erasure of Donetsk's history is certainly a choice.

Listunova didn't even make the team of 6 for this. Yikes. Something went downhill with her after Nationals (she wasn't great there, but still easily one of the best in Russia).

Listunova didn't even make the team of 6 for this. Yikes. Something went downhill with her after Nationals (she wasn't great there, but still easily one of the best in Russia).
She was injured before nationals but decided to compete. I saw her in the gym around a month ago and she was doing light work

With Listunova injured this year, I wonder how Russia would have done in Paris. I guess we will find out from the games here

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back