FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The new AI technology was literally the cause of multiple incorrect OOB calls across the competition.

But typical FIG to throw more of a problem at a problem.

Watanabe is running for re-election as FIG president while simultaneously running for IOC president. FIG elections are this October. His opponent is European Gymnastics President Farid Gayibov (AZE).

Possibly Watanabe wrote it, and English isn't his first language. Or he wrote it in Japanese, it got translated in French and then translated into English. But either way, at its core, it's a weak sauce statement.

What is really clear is FIG will not be holding anyone accountable. It will not conduct it's own investigation into the systemic shortcomings of the WTC, nor its own. There will be no meaningful postmortem conducted to identify and address the long-standing issues that got us here, and create better policies, procedures, and rules to reduce the likely hood of another debacle occuring. Instead, Watanabe will issue some vague statement about needing to embrace technology while ignoring the very real issues.

The house is build on shifting sand, there are enormous cracks in the foundation, the roof is held on with duct tape and bailing wire, but Watanabe is saying "you know what will solve all our problems? A refrigerator with wifi!"

Well, the judging was a clusterfuck but calling it a "tragedy" 3 times (sorry,  five times) is a bit excessive. No one died.
But no one can say now he is NOT treating what happened seriously enough. Still
no word of apology to gymnasts affected by the Tragedy

AI tech is not the panacea people treat it as being. It can have some very helpful uses- such as helping coaches analyze body shape and mechanics in skills- but it's also literally only as smart as those designing and using it at best, and usually less so.

I fail to see how "our technology and choices around judging made it impossible to see the proper deduction, and was worse that the traditional method" and "we didn't actually put a system in place" is a failure of courage. What is a failure of courage is a lack of apology directly to the gymnasts, avoiding taking responsibility, and refusal to actually make it right.

If the argument is not having better technology like we intended was a failure of courage to take drastic steps forward, I can technically see his point no matter how weak it is. But the more courageous thing to do would be to helpfully overhaul the code and judging to something more realistic and efficient in separating differences in quality fairly and understandably. And to apologize, as mentioned.

I thought of a GREAT idea on my way home from work today.

1. I thought I heard (here or somewhere) that the coaches use Venmo now to pay for the inquiries. If this is true, then the verbal inquiry can simply be as soon as the Venmo payment goes out.

2. If this is not true, with technology these days, I am sure a website or app could be used, the coaches can submit the verbal inquiry that way, plus it can be time-stamped.

3. If not, something as simple as send a quick email to the officiant in charge of receiving verbal inquiries. Also time stamped.

Doubt they will get anywhere with this appeal…

They might not, but I like it as a way to pile the pressure on FIG and IOC anyway.

I think USAG's appeal, whether right or wrong in terms of evidence, has veered away from the pressure to solve the problem by awarding shared medals. Taking Chiles's medal is a disgrace - and I say that as a Barbosu fan. I'm glad Romania is still making noises about shared medals.

Doubt they will get anywhere with this appeal…

Are they wanting to take the medal away from one Romanian and give it to another? Or, are they still hoping for three bronze medals?

Romania wants three bronze medals to be awarded.
Absolutely, Romania has argued for three Olympic bronze medals to be awarded and a shared tied of 3rd with USA since the very beginning of their CAS case.

Absolutely, Romania has argued for three Olympic bronze medals to be awarded and a shared tied of 3rd with USA since the very beginning of their CAS case.
Except FIG has been rather adamantly against that. So I really don't understand what Romania is doing here. CAS already decided that Sabrina's score can't be changed. They're wasting their time appealing this further.

And even if the appeal was accepted and the score changed, that's just going to create more drama when FIG strips Ana of her bronze.

This is a deeply unserious sport run by deeply unserious people who believe that they are VERY SERIOUS PEOPLE DOING VERY SERIOUS WORK. It's all so ridiculous. Meanwhile, Watanabe prattles on about how technology will fix everything.

imho Romania is doing right thing even it’s a hopeless fight it is a fight for justice. In fact I am impressed they could have been satisfied with CAS decision as long as the country got a medal for one of their girls but they’re not. Good. The fact that USA is doing the same will put more pressure on authorities to sort this mess. We do not know what grounds and arguments they are planning to use this time. It did not take long for us here to figure out that in fact there is no procedure in place for OOB inquiry in first place. Surely their lawyers can use that to their advantage?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back