FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Did USAG even file an appeal to Swiss Supreme Court? I know they claimed they would, but haven't seen anything since Aug 12 when they announced they would...

Did USAG even file an appeal to Swiss Supreme Court? I know they claimed they would, but haven't seen anything since Aug 12 when they announced they would...
I assumed it takes time to prepare an appeal and then to process but that it was on course but as you said there was no definite information yet whereas the Romanians claim their appeal accepted. The latter makes me think they had some new evidence/approach otherwise it would be rejected?

Simone? 2016 and 2024.
That's correct, I forgot she did bars in Rio TF.

I know it was a different format but Strug, Dawes and Miller also did
I didn't include them because there was no team finals in that era, it was compulsories and optionals.

Dawes would have in 2000 but she was subbed on floor with Schwikert and Chow didn't do AA in Atlanta.

It is kind of wild that Jordan and Jade have made the same Olympic teams, Jordan’s competed AA in two team finals while Jade has only competed one event (and did not make TF on the event she came in as OC on), but Jade’s the one who has competed in an Olympic AA final. It’s just weird how things work out.

It is kind of wild that Jordan and Jade have made the same Olympic teams, Jordan’s competed AA in two team finals while Jade has only competed one event (and did not make TF on the event she came in as OC on), but Jade’s the one who has competed in an Olympic AA final. It’s just weird how things work out.
Jade did not make the same Olympic teams. She qualified as an individual for Tokyo, but she was never part of the team then.

Yep. All FIG officials signed under that word salad should be disciplined accordingly, if not fired.
And Netherland gym federation should go after them too, because of Lieke Wevers ND in quals that cost her finals.
I write SOPs as part of my job. Errors and bad writing like that make me die a little inside. 😄

A question unrelated to the thread but kind of related at the same time, as a 50y+ figure skating fan and very much a newbie here, just wondering why inquiries are so common in AG and not in FS? On my memory in the CoP era I remember only one occasion when an inquiry (successful) was submitted (about a spin level) at Grand Prix event. The 3rd & 4th swapped places as a result. But that was the only one! Considering how similar two sports are and the judging system and the procedure for inquiries itself, one can't help wondering:
Do FS judges get it right most of time (I doubt that!)?
Do skaters have more trust/respect for judges?
Or it is the distrust of the system and fear of being underscored at the next event prevent skaters from complaining?
Was it always such a common thing in AG?
Your thoughts?

A question unrelated to the thread but kind of related at the same time, as a 50y+ figure skating fan and very much a newbie here, just wondering why inquiries are so common in AG and not in FS? On my memory in the CoP era I remember only one occasion when an inquiry (successful) was submitted (about a spin level) at Grand Prix event. The 3rd & 4th swapped places as a result. But that was the only one! Considering how similar two sports are and the judging system and the procedure for inquiries itself, one can't help wondering:
Do FS judges get it right most of time (I doubt that!)?
Do skaters have more trust/respect for judges?
Or it is the distrust of the system and fear of being underscored at the next event prevent skaters from complaining?
Was it always such a common thing in AG?
Your thoughts?
I think it has to do with a few things. First of all, figure skating technical scores used to be much more subjective/less defined. There were reasons for them but they were also ordinals, and so there weren't necessarily points directly tied to one specific technical call. Secondly, figure skating already marks for review things they find borderline. This built in check likely reduces challenges greatly-- it's probably already been reviewed. Thirdly, it can be very difficult to see exact landing points/timing of edge changes/flow of a curve from a rink-side point of view, especially from one end of the rink. The judges get the best seat for it at the middle and have the additional benefit of video review. All of this probably plays in.

I think it has to do with a few things. First of all, figure skating technical scores used to be much more subjective/less defined. There were reasons for them but they were also ordinals, and so there weren't necessarily points directly tied to one specific technical call. Secondly, figure skating already marks for review things they find borderline. This built in check likely reduces challenges greatly-- it's probably already been reviewed. Thirdly, it can be very difficult to see exact landing points/timing of edge changes/flow of a curve from a rink-side point of view, especially from one end of the rink. The judges get the best seat for it at the middle and have the additional benefit of video review. All of this probably plays in.
Interesting, thank you, so you reckon if there was a similar review procedure, internal so to speak before issuing the score it would reduce volume of inquiries?
I haven't thought before but I see now that there are a lot more routines to be judged in AG (4/6 apparatus) the routines are shorter so harder to assess accurately and so on.
And yet it must be a matter of tradition/culture of accepting/ not inquiring your scores because there some much unfairness, such as bad calls, missed or too harshly judged under rotations, edges; skaters from big federations as a rule getting 'preferential' treatment and etc but inquiries are just 'not done thing'

I've never seen an inquiry for skating and that's the main sport I follow. Oftentimes, the judges get it wrong, especially with flutzes or underrotations. And don't get my started on PCS skyrocketing just because someone has a clean programme in the last groups. Us fans just live with it. We know some skaters with amazing skating skills won't get the marks they deserve whole someone with lots.of quands will. Just look at Scherbakova or any other of Eteri's students. How they got 9s for skating skills is beyond me.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back