2024 US Nationals WAG Day 2 Session 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

1.3.3.2. "The highest scoring all-around athlete from the combined rank order of two days of competition at the 2024 Olympic Trials will automatically qualify to the 2024 Olympic Team."

Oh, random memory: Jordan Chiles seemed like she wanted attempt an Amanar during podium training on night 2. She was doing perfectly fine DTYs but she kept stepping out into an extra half twist to face forward on the ground and running out of it and making frustrated noises... like she couldn't quite get the block she wanted -- so she knew not to actually attempt it in the air.

Would be interesting to see if that comes to her by Trials.

Oh, random memory: Jordan Chiles seemed like she wanted attempt an Amanar during podium training on night 2. She was doing perfectly fine DTYs but she kept stepping out into an extra half twist to face forward on the ground and running out of it and making frustrated noises... like she couldn't quite get the block she wanted -- so she knew not to actually attempt it in the air.

Would be interesting to see if that comes to her by Trials.
I fully expect the Amanar at Trials based on her bubble placement and clear ability to do the vault. She has known how to do an Amanar since 2015.

I fully expect the Amanar at Trials based on her bubble placement and clear ability to do the vault. She has known how to do an Amanar since 2015.

We haven’t seen one since 2018, though. They were very strong, however.

It would be such a bummer to start seeing mediocre Chengs outscore great Amanars because of an inexplicable 0.2 bonus in d score.

We haven’t seen one since 2018, though. They were very strong, however.

It would be such a bummer to start seeing mediocre Chengs outscore great Amanars because of an inexplicable 0.2 bonus in d score.
Exactly
That was a long time ago
If she could still do them, she would be competing it

Exactly
That was a long time ago
If she could still do them, she would be competing it
She is probably more protective ov her body than she was then because it feels like she could probably chuck one and be successful some of the time. But probably the execution deductions on a chucked one wouldn’t be worth it over her dty.

Well, it’s probably a case of throwing absolutely everything at making the team. An Amanar might do it
That's more what I was trying to say, thanks MC -- I think she knows it's worth trying it if she's landing some of them in the gym on the hard mat. She's making a case as a bars and floor gymnast on a team that needs a strong third routine on both (Lee could soon make her irrelevant with the UB upgrades, though), but a solid Amanar with her limited built-in deductions on vault could be the boost she needs.

As it stands I would still take her over DiCello, but the jury is out on Carey for me. My team is Biles/Jones/Lee/Blakely, and the only things that would improve their team score would be another high D score on vault and a solid floor routine in TF over Lee and Blakely. Chiles vs. Carey in my book, especially if Chiles upgrades VT and Carey upgrades FX.

Speaking about Amanars, I wonder if Carey plans to bring hers back too?
Maybe not for trials, as she will have to focus on FX upgrades there.
But there will be at least three, possibly four strong US vaulters going to Paris, all with a good chance to medal, and one/two of them will end up two-pered.

Speaking about Amanars, I wonder if Carey plans to bring hers back too?
Maybe not for trials, as she will have to focus on FX upgrades there.
But there will be at least three, possibly four strong US vaulters going to Paris, all with a good chance to medal, and one/two of them will end up two-pered.
Sam seemed to indicate she is planning on bringing back the Amanar. She can't afford not to throw it at Trials.

That seems very quick, particularly if the favourites have an injury or poor comp
This has been standard. Having a final post-Trials select camp is not normal. 1996 and 2000 the team was named at Trials, 2012-2020(1) it was named at Trials. 1992, 2004, and 2008 were aberrations. (1998 and earlier, I can't recall)

Talking about them naming the team at Trials. That must mean they have pretty much decided who before trials. Because they can't look at all the scores and discuss the ins and outs of various combinations for hours while people are waiting in the stands. Or do they have a couple of hours and come back later and announce the team. So trials is just an affirmation of what they have decided isnt' it?

Talking about them naming the team at Trials. That must mean they have pretty much decided who before trials. Because they can't look at all the scores and discuss the ins and outs of various combinations for hours while people are waiting in the stands. Or do they have a couple of hours and come back later and announce the team. So trials is just an affirmation of what they have decided isnt' it?
They probably have it 90% locked down (or at least the possible permutations like we have here) but trials is the last chance to impress (or bomb). Mykayla Skinner had a terrible nationals in 2016 but her performance at trials got her into an alternate spot. They also have seen the candidates st camps and whatnot so have additional data points.

I think they keep it televised, so they aren't given much time to argue. I definitely remember the 2016 team announcement cuz everyone was in tears.

The selection committee is regularly have conversations about the team. It's not like they don't discuss things at all until every last Trials score is in.

It's pretty clear who is a lock or near lock, who got invited to Trials but doesn't stand a chance, and who the bubble athletes are. The committee is considering all the scenarios. I'm sure they're hoping Day 1 of Trials brings more clarity, and then Day 2 confirms the tentative team they decide on after day 1. But they're not going into this blind.

The selection committee is regularly have conversations about the team. It's not like they don't discuss things at all until every last Trials score is in.

It's pretty clear who is a lock or near lock, who got invited to Trials but doesn't stand a chance, and who the bubble athletes are. The committee is considering all the scenarios. I'm sure they're hoping Day 1 of Trials brings more clarity, and then Day 2 confirms the tentative team they decide on after day 1. But they're not going into this blind.
Exactly. But I do think that "the bubble athletes" are a more significant part of the mix (quantitatively and qualitatively) this year and that even with Trials, it is going to be a difficult decision.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back