2024 US Nationals WAG day 2 session 1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

No, it is not. At 2012 junior nationals, it was Lexie Priessman, Simone Biles and Maddie Desch. None would have looked out of place at Olympic trials. Simone and Lexie competed Amanars. Likewise in 2016 you had O’Keeffe, McCusker and Perea. Confident performers with senior level difficulty.
Of course, only two of them ever made it to worlds. The rest were either burnt out or injured.

The juniors SHOULD be doing junior level difficulty. They're juniors!

No one has been taken out of the junior competition on a stretcher, wheelchair, or crutches this weekend, so I prefer this.

The biggest difference I noticed is the major gyms who usually show up with an army of juniors aren't here with an army. WOGA only has Pease and just got Turner like last month in a transfer. GAGE only has Crain. Parkettes isn't here at all. These teams used to make up half the junior field.

Obviously cycles are inevitable… but this seems like a massive drop off.
At first, my opinion was this is good. The age profile of senior competitors is aging up, so there’s no need to rush juniors into full difficulty. But we aren’t seeing junior gymnasts who are confident, consistent performers with good foundations, ready to add the difficulty.

I don't demand gymnasts look happy or like they are having fun all the time, but Pease takes emotionless to a new level.
Valeri looked more animated. That said, it's probably just her personality. I hope people don't give her a hard time over it.

I never get invested in juniors or even new seniors. If they make it a year or two on the senior level after the puberty fairy hits them and they aren't perpetually injured, I might get interested.

I don't demand gymnasts look happy or like they are having fun all the time, but Pease takes emotionless to a new level.
That’s what I like about her. She looks like she exists on dust whilst being drilled by a soulless Soviet. Oh, wait

At first, my opinion was this is good. The age profile of senior competitors is aging up, so there’s no need to rush juniors into full difficulty. But we aren’t seeing junior gymnasts who are confident, consistent performers with good foundations, ready to add the difficulty.
Yeah, I think that's the real problem. Like this level of difficulty doesn't even look easy for them. I've seen double tucks on floor that are sad. I also can't tell the difference between junior elite and level 10 anymore.

Valeri looked more animated. That said, it's probably just her personality. I hope people don't give her a hard time over it.
I hope it's just her personality and not something else, or she will need to find a new coach ASAP.

Yes, a more introverted gymnast like Nastia or Gabby is just fine with me but she just looked really down after what was a pretty great 2 day showing. I hope it is just how she approaches competition and not anything more serious.

The question is why though. It’s not directed at you but many of you are far more knowledgeable than I am.
Probably in part of what RedBirdie said - a lot of them burned out or were too injured to do much at the senior level. The USA didn't do that much better than Russia in burning out junior talent.

No one has been taken out of the junior competition on a stretcher, wheelchair, or crutches this weekend, so I prefer this.

The biggest difference I noticed is the major gyms who usually show up with an army of juniors aren't here with an army. WOGA only has Pease and just got Turner like last month in a transfer. GAGE only has Crain. Parkettes isn't here at all. These teams used to make up half the junior field.
But we aren’t seeing junior gymnasts with proper foundations, great basics who are doing confident and consistent performances, as we tend to see at L10

Yeah, I think that's the real problem. Like this level of difficulty doesn't even look easy for them. I've seen double tucks on floor that are sad. I also can't tell the difference between junior elite and level 10 anymore.
The difference is that most L10 routines are neat and consistent!

I am actually surprised Al Fong started Lavi Crain in elite last year. Normally he would wait until the olympic cycle where the junior is eligible for olympics, and Crain won't turn senior until 2026.

But we aren’t seeing junior gymnasts with proper foundations, great basics who are doing confident and consistent performances, as we tend to see at L10
That's likely the result of the damn Hopes program. In stead of spending a couple years being great level 10s, I see gyms pushing level 8s and 9s to try Hopes! Hopes was supposed to complement level 10. Instead, too many gymnasts are essentially skipping level 10 in favor of Hopes.

Anzola bringing some energy to the room
She brought this crowd to life! So fun to watch.

Haynes on beam was awesome as well! Such a refreshing routine to see with the onodi-side aerial and the attempted leap series to ff lay lay.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back