2022 Paris World Challenge Cup

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ellie on beam. Cheryl looked COMPLETELY DOWN at the desk as she was connecting the double turn into the reverse turn.

That 2.5 looked like it hurt.

Is she still struggling with the same ankle that she sprained in 2019, or is this a separate injury/the other foot?

So weird to see her composition change so much each competition. The front tuck is gone, the switch half is gone. Nice that she can still be competitive with this watered down routine, but I wonder if it’s more to do with her nerves or what.

@KristyJ
I am glad that Chiles was sent to this World Cup assignment.
It is clear that when she is in front of international judges that she is hammered for execution that she is not receiving domestically.
Her bars was 7.600 in execution here and her floor execution was 7.900 for a perfectly hit routine.
Where as Carey and Jones were scored fairly in line from that at nationals. Jones had a 7.1 on bars WITH a fall.
This is exactly @Doug1233 and my concern with Chiles’ domestic scoring. It is not realistic to what she gets internationally and is ultimately doing harm to both Chiles and the US team.
Chiles is cracking 14.1-14.2 at home but here in Paris is getting a 13.400 on bars.
This is a .7-.8 margin of difference and the exact reason that we called out Chiles’ execution scores. It is not a personal attack but for some reason USAG uses a different pen for Chiles at home than what the judges pen is for her internationally.

Jones and Carey are fairly in line with what they got in E scores at Nationals. Carey actually improved a bit on beam but it appears she scaled back as her D score is lower here. It did benefit her E score and overall score. Carey went 13.20 and 13.30 at home on beam and here she got 13.40.

Plus I feel the 7.9 E for Chiles on floor was a little overscored. Very well constructed to have the Switch Side half into the corner with her back to the judges so they can only see her (excellent) straddle shape and not the clear 0.3 bent knee in the free leg.

Jones makes the floor final in 8th. There will definitely be a few more who will feel they could have beaten that score.

Melanie de Jesus dos Santos has gone into third on beam and will make the final. Flavia Saraiva must have fallen at least once for a 6.2 E score and will not be in the final.

Though Chiles received 7.966 on UB and 8.1 on FX at the selection event, so does seem like they are getting more in line on the scoring?

This is actually making me sad because WHAT is happening? She always looks like she’s giving everything she’s got to that DLO and it’s still piked down. I wonder if she has other options. Maybe a pike full-in or a double arabian? She used to do a 2.5 twist.

Tbh I think she should just nix the full in and do a popa or something. She is struggling with endurance and she’s losing 5-8 tenths just on the double tuck alone.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back